Author Topic: Kymco AK 550 bungee hook studs  (Read 1015 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Kymco AK 550 bungee hook studs
« on: January 15, 2022, 08:13:01 PM »
On both of my Burgman 650 scooters the underside of the passenger handles had two threaded sockets on each handle, one toward the front and one toward the rear, to put in some studs to hook bungee cords to for strapping stuff on the back seat. Bungee hooks also could simply hook around the edge of those handles since they were somewhat hollow on the bottom with support ridges that also served to keep the hook from sliding up and down the handle.

The passenger handles on the AK 550 are a bit more solid and thicker so a bungee hook just won't hook around them. I was looking a little closer recently while trying to hook on my cargo net and found that the bungee cargo net hook would hold just fine at the very front end of the grab handle. I could wrap the middle hook around the handle and hook onto a cross strand of the cargo net. But the rear hook was a problem until as I was messing around the tip of that hook grabbed onto something just behind the rear mounting point of the grab handle. Turns out there is a hole back there on the bottom side of the grab handle. If that hole is threaded I could add a hook stud there using a stainless bolt of the right size and a brass bushing for a spacer and a stainless washer at the bottom end of the bushing to keep a bungee hook from sliding off. This would be the same setup I used on my Burgman scooters even though there is a kit for those. I figure I spent about 4 times less than buying the kit by buying some bolts, brass spacers, washers and making it all myself. Kind of my thing.

Found my inspection mirror so I went out to check out those holes on the bottom side of the passenger handles just behind the rear grab handle mount. They ARE threaded. Looks like M6 coarse thread bolt size. Maybe M8 but they looked a little smaller than that to me. In the next few months, need to work up the motivation to be in the unheated garage during the cooler weather, I'll remove the passenger handles and figure out what size bolt and length to get to put some bungee hook studs there.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco AK 550 bungee hook studs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 10:24:18 AM »
Sounds like a plan Bob 👍
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 03:26:20 PM »
I don't own any but many people rave about ROK straps as a better alternative to bungee cords. Have you ever tried those?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 05:09:47 PM »
I don't own any but many people rave about ROK straps as a better alternative to bungee cords. Have you ever tried those?

Absolutely. Half flat bungee strap and half web strap. They work great. And the fact that they don't use hard plastic hooks but soft web strap loops instead saves the finish on the bike. I use those almost exclusively when I want to ensure the most secure tie down of my load. Such as when I travel. They worked great with the bungee studs I put on my Burgman and expect the same for the AK. When I need to use more than will fit on a hook stud I'll loop it around the handle. I do still use bungee cords, but only in a pinch and when I'm only going a short distance with a load from the store.
/bob

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 10:25:58 AM »

Hawk, get the right length for the job and they're brilliant!  I have them in a selection (read 2) of lengths and love 'em.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 03:30:57 PM »
Did you find hooks that worked in those studs?  Were you able to determine the thread and pitch?

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 04:05:37 PM »
Did you find hooks that worked in those studs?  Were you able to determine the thread and pitch?

Not yet.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 11:51:46 PM »
On one of my rides I picked up a few supplies at the hardware store to put together the bungee hook studs for the bottom of the stock AK 550 handles.
I measured the depth of the holes to find that they are 17 mm deep. I also measured the distance from the holes to the body directly under them and figured out that what I needed were 2 stainless M8 x 30 mm x 1.25 pitch Allen cap round headed bolts. I also decided on using bronze flange bearings that are 3/8" id x 1/2" od x 1" long to keep the parts search simple. I had a few stainless 5/16 flat washers that would work also. But they were different sizes so I bought 2 stainless M8 flat washers.

I used my Dremel tool to cut off the bronze flange bearings down to 18 mm. That would leave enough thread left on the bolts to hold well in the holes in the bottom of the handles without bottoming out in those holes. Then I filed the ends of the bearings to smooth them out and get rid of any burrs. I removed the handles from the AK 550 to enable adding the assembled studs since the clearance is such that it is not possible to thread them in with the handles on the bike.

I attached some photos of the parts and the assembly in the next few posts. One photo per post due to limitations on photo sizes.
Here are the parts showing the orientation of the bearings and washers on the bolts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 08:12:52 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 11:52:40 PM »
The assembled stud installed on the handle.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:22:13 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 11:53:37 PM »
And how it looks with the handle installed on the AK 550.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:23:07 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 11:55:23 PM »
And this is a view of both sides from the rear.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:24:05 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 02:11:58 PM »
Looks good to me Bob and should prove very serviceable.  Only minor suggestion, maybe dome headed or black torx bolts if they could be sourced?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 05:02:19 PM »
Looks good to me Bob and should prove very serviceable.  Only minor suggestion, maybe dome headed or black torx bolts if they could be sourced?
agreed. Looks a bit industrial
I bet alley-babe-o sells the mod for this. If Asians make it ,-  these guys have the billet accessory for it - in 9 different "happy!" colors!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 05:10:52 PM »

I did look for dome headed hex or torx bolts but those only go up to M6 that I could find. I might stop by a Tru-Value hardware store in the near future to see if they have bigger sized round headed bolts the right size. They usually have a bigger selection of stainless bolts than I found at the Ace Hardware or any other place I've looked closer to me.
I don't mind the silver of the stainless. Not so easy to find blacked out bolts unless I go with steel painted bolts but those will rust, these won't. The bronze will take on a darker patina with time and blend in with the bike a lot better than they do now (BTDT with my Burgman).
These studs are well enough hidden being under the handle and behind the rear mount of the handle that I don't think they will be all that noticeable unless I specifically look at them.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 11:28:32 PM »
Just for you Stig...
I stopped by a Tru-Value hardware store on my ride today and as I was thinking they have a much bigger selection of bolts and such than the other stores closer to me.
I bought 2 round headed Allen M8 bolts 30 mm x 1.25 pitch.
Since the 2 stainless washers I originally was using were slightly different sizes I also bought 2 stainless M8 flat washers to match. This is much more like what the studs I put on my Burgman 650 looked like.

I updated/edited the posts above with the newer parts I ended up using. The bronze flange bearings are the same.

Less than $5 for all parts beats whatever AliExpress or other specialty places might have.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()