Author Topic: Quick update  (Read 1019 times)

a99miata

• View Profile
Re: Quick update
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 07:23:57 PM »
Don't want to get into a political discussion about insurance.  Before affordable care act my insurance was 450 a month with a $ 2000. deductible.  After government involvement my premiums went to $900. a month with a $8000. deductible. 

Now for some good news, today I was able to walk 100 feet with the hemi walker and the therapist following with the wheelchair.  Not graceful by any means but I was able to stand upright like a man, even for a short while.

I can complete understand the high rate of suicide among stroke survivor's and disabled veterans.  You go through your own private hell. I sure have a lot more empathy for the disabled. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 07:35:41 PM »
Great to hear you’re making progress! Walking? Way to go. YOu are certainly making progress..and feeling down is completely understandable, too. Normal feelings. There is help for that, in talking to people and even medication in the short term. Don’t let the bad days outweigh the good. You are making more progress than you alluded to initially.

And in the meantime, how about that crazy power drive for the wheelchair? That would get a little wind in the face and hair.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 01:39:48 AM »
Iahawk I bought a electric wheelchair to make runs to the dollar store and Dillons in good weather.  To get that 100 feet took 3 rest stops of sitting down in the chair.  And walking is kind of a stretch,  more like hobbling. LOL  it's extremely frustrating trying to get the body to respond.  It's retraining the brain to operate the limbs. 

I use the Nu- Step to try to build the leg up pushing it until the leg starts shaking uncontrollably.  Physical therapy is working on the leg and occupational therapy is working on the arm and hand.

I told therapy I'm extremely motivated to  become functional.

If this isn't to depressing I'll give you updates.  Even if I don't trust my balance in the future , a 3 wheel CanAm Spider might be a alternative . Then I could go on ROMEO rides again.  Never say Never.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 03:51:48 AM »
Kk,
I've been around many injured soldiers since the 60's..and seen the most remarkable recoveries....or adaptations by men with
 unimaginably damaged bodies.
With your spirit and determination....I'd bet on you, my friend!
Please do keep us posted.
Tom
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:59:52 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 04:42:36 AM »
Kk,
I've been around many injured soldiers since the 60's..and seen the most remarkable recoveries....or adaptations by men with
 unimaginably damaged bodies.
With your spirit and determination....I'd bet you, my friend!
Please do keep us posted.
Tom
Therapy told me a hemmoragic stroke is one of the most difficult things to recover from. I will do my best to regain functionality.  Talking about a true inspiration read the story of Randy Travis. 

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 06:37:10 PM »
I've had HSA qualified health ins. ever since it has been available, right up till I started Medicare @ 65, I always contributed max to the HSA, still using it.  The plans I had, max out of pocket/yr was never more than max contribution to HSA, just got to shop around, but being single does give you more options than family plans.  Now, I have a Generations Advantage plan, so good so far, I go under the knife next month to replace a battery
RandyO
IBA#9560

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 03:31:10 PM »
Something if you get around to riding bike again---First I was able to walk/get my pants and boots on, alone---I dressed up in my Darien suit /jacket and pants---3/4 helmet/heavy gloves and then bicycle!   wanted to be prepared in case I fell----got past the bicycle test.  When I tried my scooter, 600 Silverwing, made sure plenty of run off space around=ok, most difficult to re-learn, up hill turn to the right, but practiced and later gained skill---on these uphill right turns, I know many scooter riders with nothing wrong, cannot do these turns feet up! Such is our easy lic. system in US.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()