Author Topic: Quick update  (Read 1022 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Quick update
« on: January 16, 2022, 05:57:22 AM »
Have some limited movement in my left leg. Last week had just a tiny bit of movement in my left hand for the first time. Will have physical therapy and occupational therapy twice a week for each one.

No other way to put it this sucks.  Progress is terribly slow . Sure miss riding the scooter on the nice days we've had. A wheelchair is a dang poor substitute for my scooters. I've got a lot of support from friends , I owe them big time.

I hope everyone is doing well .  Stay safe and keep the rubber side on the road.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Quick update
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 10:08:54 AM »
Good to hear from you KK, just sorry the recovery is so slow for you. Stay positive any progress is good progress I guess.  Thoughts are with you friend.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »
@Kk, good to hear from you. Like Neil say, any progress is a step forward. You will be in the saddle again.
BTW: give some techs from your chair and we try to pimp it a bit. 😉
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »
Yeah, it sucks but don't let the suck side define you. There are so many that determination defines them and do extremely well at recovery. There may be a message in the malady....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 03:33:00 PM »
KK, good to hear from you! Any progress is good progress..keep working at it.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 08:57:47 PM »
I had a stroke---10-15 years ago---now, at 82, 98-99% ok----Mayo clinic---recovery slow, took me 6 months to put my own pants on--now only once in awhile, left foot drag.   Hang in there----my PT was designed for 350 lb fat lady who had never done anything, so it was too easy for me.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »
I had a stroke---10-15 years ago---now, at 82, 98-99% ok----Mayo clinic---recovery slow, took me 6 months to put my own pants on--now only once in awhile, left foot drag.   Hang in there----my PT was designed for 350 lb fat lady who had never done anything, so it was too easy for me.
Here ya go, KK! This is what I'm talkin' about! Old John is our own example of recovery!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 09:50:10 PM »
It's not only the battle for recovery. I have to deal with the insurance company.  I had therapy set up for 4 times a week but insurance will only do twice a week for 8 sessions then reevaluation.  Mind you they don't pay a dime until I reach my 4k deductible.  If I did 16 sessions like I planned for the month they still would  not be out one dime. It would be 7 weeks at 4 sessions a week before they paid one cent. Not only do I have to deal with my non- functional left leg and arm I have to deal with the insurance company. 

The medical bills are another issue. My insurance company takes 55 days from when they receive the last claim until they pay ( catastrophic coverage) only. So whatever they don't pay I'm responsible for. I've been sending them each a  $100. Bucks a month so they don't turn me in to a collection agency.

I feel like I'm being punished for having a stroke.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and get back to a functional human being ASAP  so I can get home and get on with my life.

I hope you can take advantage of nice weather and get some riding in,  I'll ride with you if only vicariously for awhile.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 10:02:49 PM »
US--Medical care ranks, last time I  checked 36th in the world in quality but number 1 in cost!----In Mayo they fed me frozen chicken dinners, real crap.  Having lived/worked in Germany/Japan/Korea/Italy none of my  employees ever seemed to have to worry or fight with insurance on their medical bills---they paid for their health insurance and the insurance paid the bills.  Something that doesn't happen here.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 10:57:26 PM »
It's not only the battle for recovery. I have to deal with the insurance company.  I had therapy set up for 4 times a week but insurance will only do twice a week for 8 sessions then reevaluation.  Mind you they don't pay a dime until I reach my 4k deductible.  If I did 16 sessions like I planned for the month they still would  not be out one dime. It would be 7 weeks at 4 sessions a week before they paid one cent. Not only do I have to deal with my non- functional left leg and arm I have to deal with the insurance company. 

The medical bills are another issue. My insurance company takes 55 days from when they receive the last claim until they pay ( catastrophic coverage) only. So whatever they don't pay I'm responsible for. I've been sending them each a  $100. Bucks a month so they don't turn me in to a collection agency.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and get back to a functional human being ASAP  so I can get home and get on with my life.

I hope you can take advantage of nice weather and get some riding in,  I'll ride with you if only vicariously for awhile.
Pay 'em 10 'stead of a 100. Does the same thing. And just WAIT for the first sign of refusal !
That kind of hassle would drive anyone nuts. Hang in there. Call me if you need anyone yelled at.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 12:40:11 AM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I'm basically paying out a new AK 550 every month since the stroke.

If I was poor it would be taken care of. If I was rich it wouldn't be a concern. Unfortunately I fall somewhere in the middle. 

I just try to keep a positive attitude and hope for the best.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 08:20:37 AM »
@Kk, a shame to have to deal with this admin issues too. I cannot help you physically but write it down all what galls you. Helps a little bit to get rid of your anger.
AND, want to see you back on some ride whatever.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »

The whole "system" stinks, for sure. We have a $6,500 deductable. Just paid out $650 for an MRI on my kid's knee. Waiting to see if he need surgery. Wife needs a surgical procedure on her leg. Both boys need wisdom teeth out. Probably going to be an expensive year for us. Like you said, insurance company won't pay a dime until I've taken $6,500 out of my own pocket. And the out of pocket maximum is only like $7,300 or something. So, by the time you hit your deductible, you are almost at the out of pocket maximum. And for this stellar coverage, I pay like $500+ each month out of my paycheck, plus my employer pays even more. It's a sham!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 10:51:09 PM »
We could fix that at The Ballot Box and join the rest of the Civilized world.......
.......how does one say, " fat chance !!" in French?
Stig

Kk. We're all pulling for you, young fellow !
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:54:47 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 11:56:48 AM »
It’s reading stories like KK’s which make me so glad I live somewhere with a functioning free Health Service!  The NHS may have its faults, but it won’t bankrupt you at least.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()