Author Topic: Kymco AK 550 how to tie down on trailer  (Read 448 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Kymco AK 550 how to tie down on trailer
« on: January 19, 2022, 12:04:12 AM »
This is one of the saddest views IMO. Tied in and ready to deliver to the dealer for warranty work on the heated grips. Way too much ice on the side streets and lesser roads still to even THINK about riding it there.

I've only needed to tie down my bike in a trailer or pickup bed a total of 3 times now in 24 years of riding. But I have assisted to tie down a few others along the way. I've found THIS to be the best way that very stable, secure, and uses the least number of straps. If done right the bike will not move in the trailer. It will bounce a little but it won't move around otherwise since the wheels will be solidly planted.

I do prefer to put a soft tie around the fork tube just over the top of the lower triple tree from the left fork to the right side of the trailer and from the right fork to the left side. But on my Burgman 650 (one of the 3) the fairing prevented that unless I removed much of the front end plastic. On my AK 550 I ended up putting the front straps on the forks almost the very same way I did on my Burgman. The Burgman forks have a cast tab that the strap could hang onto so it stayed higher up on the fork at about the top of the wheel. On the AK, with upside down forks, there is no cast tab so the strap is at the bottom of the fork tube. Still above the axle so all is good there. The U-Haul motorcycle trailer has a built in front wheel chock which provides at least half the support for the front of the scooter. The tie downs on each side on the fork tubes going out and toward the front pull the front wheel upright and solidly into the chock so the front of the bike is going nowhere no matter how much the trailer bounces. The benefit of this method, tying at the bottom of the fork tube, is that the bike is allowed to be normally suspended on the shocks and forks as if I was riding it.

All that is left to do now is to secure the rear wheel from moving side to side. So two more straps around the wheel and angled to a hook point forward of the rear wheel to continue to pull the bike into the wheel chock. This immobilizes the rear wheel so now the bike is VERY secure on the trailer.

Here are some pics. Note, in the rear view I do still have the side stand down. I don't leave it down and put it up before moving the trailer. Don't need to punch a hole in the trailer floor or damage the side stand from having it bounce onto the floor. Also, NEVER leave the bike on a center stand for the same reason. Let the wheels support the weight of the bike and the straps hold it upright. A center stand is never designed to handle the full weight of the bike bouncing down on it and damage WILL happen.

I did try using the soft ties over the lower triple tree and that might have worked but using those put the heavy steel hook of my straps right against the upper rear point of the black plastic panel on each side of the front fender. It wasn't real tight against that plastic but I knew if the bike hit a big bump that hook would crack the plastic so I moved the straps to how I described above. There is another way I thought about trying after I had the AK all secured on the trailer so I might do that when it's time to pick up the bike from the dealer.

That other way takes advantage of my straps being long enough to go around the fork tubes if I put the ratchet at the other end of the strap. In fact I am thinking it would work well to run the long end of my tie straps under the lower triple tree, up and around the front of the fork tube, and back down under the triple tree. Again, left fork to the right side tie point and right fork to the left side tie point. I have enough strap that I could have both hooks in the D-ring tie point and the strap would be pulled down a little to miss all the plastic. The other option would be to remove the front fender but I'd like to avoid that if possible. If tying at the triple tree on any bike ALWAYS tighten the straps to evenly pull down the suspension about half it's normal travel to compress the front shocks and prevent bouncing that will cause issues with the straps jerking on things and possibly causing much damage.

One thing I've know from first hand personal report is NEVER use the handlebars to securely tie down any bike. I know ties such as Canyon Dancer seem to be popular but they have been known to damage the handlebars, bending or even breaking the bar or even just the grips. I know of riders who get away of strapping down a bike using the handlebars but it's a crap shoot if damage results or not. I know I will NEVER tie down a bike, especially mine, using the handlebars. Besides, the plastic around the AK 550 up top is too much in the way to even consider doing that anyway.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco AK 550 how to tie down on trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 12:33:19 AM »
I must have missed it.....trailered it why?
And isn't that a bit of a load for a Carolla?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 01:13:58 AM »
I must have missed it.....trailered it why?
And isn't that a bit of a load for a Carolla?

Stig

In another thread I posted about an issue with the heated grips. They shut down and throw an error code when the temps get cold. Imagine that! The one time you NEED heated grips is the one time they DON'T work. Anyway, I verified with the KymcoUSA HQ technical department that this is definitely a warranty issue that should be repaired. I also verified from HQ that the dealer who told me they could do the warranty repair even though they don't stock any Kymco scooters (at this moment) is in fact an authorized Kymco service center to do the work on warranty. KymcoUSA tech department also sent me the SM pages for the 2022 model to test the heated grips as well as a corrected part number for the heated grips controller module all of which I forwarded on to the dealer.

As to being a load for the Corolla... I've towed a small pop-up camper with this car. I could definitely tell the load was back there but it all handled well on the highway. I wasn't the fastest car with trailer on the road but I was surprised I wasn't the slowest either. I actually passed 2 tractor/trailer rigs and a car, maybe two, along the way. Admittedly one of the big rigs was passed while going up a significant hill and he passed me some time later. I would NOT try this with anything smaller, like, say, a Yaris or a Fiat 500!  :o
/bob

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 01:40:56 AM »
So scooter wasn't purchased from a local dealer?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 03:50:58 AM »
So scooter wasn't purchased from a local dealer?
Stig

The nearest Kymco dealer to me is 85 miles away. They were one of the first dealers I called when I was looking and they told me they didn't have anything from Kymco in stock and couldn't order one for me. When I called them to do warranty service they remembered that I had talked to them in October and, realizing that I bought mine somewhere else, told me they can't do warranty service on mine. I reported them to Kymco USA HQ and the person there said that is a breach of contract and is looking into that dealership, as well as a few others who told me the same.

I bought my AK at a dealership in Edwardsville, IL just outside St. Louis... 406 miles away. Not only could they get the AK 550 I wanted in the color I wanted but they also gave me a trade value on my Burgman 650 that was more than any individual had yet offered to pay me for it. AND they discounted the price on the AK a bit when I told them I really liked even numbers.  ;D

This dealer where I took my AK for warranty service is the nearest who stated without hesitation that they will do the warranty service. And Kymco USA verified their standing to do so. Good to have support on both the administrative HQ for the brand and a dealer noted for multiple brands including BMW, Polaris, Kaw, Suz, and several others so I know they are a good dealership. Reminded me of the local Suzuki/Kaw/Indian/Ural/Triumph dealership here in town who was great to work with for my Burgman. Both bigger dealers in bigger college towns.
/bob

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 01:20:31 PM »
rjs - I thought there was a Kymco dealer in the Des Moines area? Apparently not?...and I hope the closest dealer you mentioned who wouldn't perform warranty work isn't my local dealer here in the Iowa City area..that would be very disappointing.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:23:34 PM »
rjs - I thought there was a Kymco dealer in the Des Moines area? Apparently not?...and I hope the closest dealer you mentioned who wouldn't perform warranty work isn't my local dealer here in the Iowa City area..that would be very disappointing.

NO, the dealer I mention in other posts who said they WILL do the warranty work, and where I took my AK yesterday, is Sun & Fun Motorsports in Iowa City. They were nice to work with so far. I've only just dropped off the AK so waiting to hear any results from their testing of the system.

No Kymco dealer in the Des Moines area. That dealer 85 miles away in Fremont (Cycle Tech) and also the dealer in Cedar Falls (Dr Powersports) are two of the dealers who told me they would not do any service work, warranty or otherwise, on the AK 550. Dr Powersports stated they will do warranty and service on smaller scooters from Kymco but not any maxi scooters even though they sell and service a number of big motorcycle brands.
/bob

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 07:17:25 PM »
Great to hear about Sun & Fun...those guys have been great to work with over the years. Glad to hear they continue to be a first class organization.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 01:01:08 AM »
When I picked up my AK 550 from the dealer today after the warranty repair was completed I tried to find a way to anchor the straps up front higher up on the forks. That just doesn't work for the AK 550 unless I removed the front fender entirely. The straps going over the lower triple tree come down and press out on some of the plastic of the fender and any shaking or bouncing would shatter the plastic so I stayed with how it showed in my first post here. The front wheel chock does most of the work to hold the bike straight up anyway so I really need is to ensure to use the straps to pull the bike into the chock solidly. The front straps do a little of the work to hold the bike up also but the chock does most of that.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()