Author Topic: Protecting the scoots....& the Bear Mountain Massacre  (Read 529 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Protecting the scoots....& the Bear Mountain Massacre
« on: January 19, 2022, 02:09:04 PM »
Snow's off the roads - 38°F is good - but I won't ride over old salt.
Now I have to wait for a rain...

And for $2 in 1961 you could relive the horror* of the Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre.

Stig
* and Dylan's Hohner skills...
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooter freak

• View Profile
Re: Protecting the scoots....& the Bear Mountain Massacre
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 12:01:34 AM »
I hear you. now in upstate NY the roads are white from salt. my new honda super cub stares at me every day. thankfully it does not talk, at least, not like my kymco

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 03:07:02 PM »
Been riding salty roads for a month now  :(  I'll post a photo of the X-Town soon, it looks like it's been off roading!  On the plus side, it's never missed a beat.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 06:12:09 PM »
Been riding salty roads for a month now  :(  I'll post a photo of the X-Town soon, it looks like it's been off roading!  On the plus side, it's never missed a beat.
I've seen lots of photos from the Honda PCX group of what they ride in in England.
Their scoots are always a mess - losing battle to keep them clean I guess.
Center stands freezing with corrosion and such is a common problem.....
IF I ride and see some 'white stuff' on my scoots - I use hot water and dish soap in a garden sprayer to wash the scoot - then hot water to rinse with the sprayer. Wipe it down or use electric leaf blower afterwards.
Both scoots are wearing ACF-50 as well.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 03:40:43 PM »

Both scoots are wearing ACF-50 as well.

Stig

IF I ever get another scoot new I'll try the ACF-50 trick.  Was only made aware of it through this forum!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 01:41:07 PM »
I'll post a photo of the X-Town soon, it looks like it's been off roading!  On the plus side, it's never missed a beat.

As promised, a shot or two of the X-Town this morning.  Emphasises very well the wisdom of buying a scooter whose screen you can see over when riding through UK winters!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:42:40 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 01:43:34 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  Fell foul of the forum file size limits!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 10:45:17 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  Fell foul of the forum file size limits!
Yep - absolutely!
That is why I took the tall stock screen off of the Burgman - and went with the short "Sport" screen from France. A guy on the Burgman forum drove to Ohio to buy my take-off.
The turbulence was head banging and when you are riding in the pitch dark, in heavy mist producing fog, or rain - I do not want to be trying to see the road though ANY moisture on a screen! It is bad enough on my visor - but at least a quick wipe there will clear that.
I need the best vision possible because of the goofy times I ride. So I ride basically behind nothing, or a mini cowl screen.
Since 2013 - and I won't change.
I honestly do not understand the thinking of so many riders I see with a tall screen on their scooters! I know it must rain in their European cities.

Dang - I wish the weather would let me get back out there!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »

Dang - I wish the weather would let me get back out there!

Stig

Hope I'm not tempting fate here, but whilst I'd hoped that the addition of heated grips would extend my riding season by a month at each end, so far I haven't had to stop at all. OK we've only been down to about -2c here, but at that short journeys are still perfectly feasible.  Benefits of a temperate climate maybe?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()