Author Topic: Brrrr its cold outside  (Read 671 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
Brrrr its cold outside
« on: January 20, 2022, 09:12:49 PM »
We got slammed with a giant blast of artic air that is supposed to last the whole week, Being someone who rides all year round I have noticed a couple of things that happen when Im riding. When starting my scooter in the morning it seems to start better when I use the kick starter a couple of times to circulate the oil, If I do not do this it takes awhile for the starter motor to spin the engine, Another thing that I noticed is when starting especially in the morning that If I open the throttle a  little the scooter starts kind of faster compared to just holding the brake and hitting the start lever. Next oil chance I am going to probably end up using a lighter weight oil.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Brrrr its cold outside
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:53 PM »
     Strongly recommend a full synthetic oil!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 10:12:42 PM »
Shell Rotella T6 0w-40  year round
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »

AMEN....good stuff!!

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:23:20 PM »
AMEN....good stuff!!

if you can find it, 0w-40 is scarce unless yer in Calgary, easy to find 5w-40
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:38:13 PM »
if you can find it, 0w-40 is scarce unless yer in Calgary, easy to find 5w-40

Exactly so.
I usually go with the dino oils for the first 2 oil changes on my past bikes but the dealer for my AK recommended going right to Synthetic so at my first change on the AK it got T6 5W-40. The service manual even supports this. It shows 10W-40 for near freezing to over 100F operations and 5W-50 for the full range from way below zeroF to over 100F. So I think I'm right on the money here. And I also do ride in zeroF or below sometimes and have taken the bike on the road at over 100F once in a while.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 01:06:27 AM »
     Strongly recommend a full synthetic oil!

I have used synthetic oil since the bike was new
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 01:09:03 AM »

I have been running synthetic 5w30 ever since I purchaced the bike with only 400km.. Do you think I should switch to 0w-40? I am due for an oil change in the next couple of weeks.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 01:11:23 AM »
I have used synthetic oil since the bike was new

Here in the Midwest we tend to have brutal summers and unbearably cold winters. I have been running full synthetic since purchased the scooter with only 400km. Would It be a good Idea to switch to a lighter weight oil such as 0w40.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 01:55:06 AM »
I have been running synthetic 5w30 ever since I purchaced the bike with only 400km.. Do you think I should switch to 0w-40? I am due for an oil change in the next couple of weeks.

I think it would be good to stick with the  5W-30 full synthetic if that is what you have been using. I use Rotella T6 5W-40 in all my bikes since around 2004.

Keep in mind that once the motor warms up then effectively only the bigger number really matters. The 5W or 0W only really have to do with oil being thinner when it is coldest. Generally that number in front of the "W" is the viscosity of the oil at ZeroF (-17.8C). As the oil temp warms up the viscosity increases to the bigger number after the "W" until it is at normal operating temp where the oil is at that high number viscosity. The "W" stands for "Winter" temps. That is an extremely simplified explanation.

Do you change your oil for winter riding and then again for summer riding? I don't and I look in my manuals to see what the oil viscosity chart says to use. There is usually a range given that shows what viscosity is recommended for a given temp range from low temp to high temp. If you are riding when the outdoor temp is at or below zeroF (-17.8C) then you will likely be fine with the 0W-40 or 0W-30. But when the temps warm up to well over 32F (0C) then you really should replace that with the 5W-30, 5W-40 or what ever your manual says to use. Has to do with how well the oil viscosity goes up with temp and if the oil is too thin to keep a layer of lube on the engine parts when at rest or if it is thick enough to keep parts lubed when at rest and cooled.

I do ride at the zeroF and below temps and I find the 5W-40 works great on all my bikes at that temp to get them started. After warm up all that really matters is that bigger number as I mentioned.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 02:17:25 AM »
I use the same oil in my Diesel trucks as I do the scooters Rotella 15w-40. You should be just fine with synthetic 5w-30.

I didn't ride in cold weather ( below 50F ).
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 04:18:22 AM »
Agreed. It is stupid cold.
Can't even take the pup to the reservoir.
No walks, no scooter riding. We're both going to start biting soon.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()