Author Topic: deer hunters  (Read 9856 times)

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
Re: deer hunters
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »
I am going on my 27th year of being a deer hunter.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
I love animals and consider hunting for fun to be barbaric practice.
I also consider hunting to preserve natural balance (for example, in case of overpopulation by certain species like hares etc., or to prevent spread of diseases) to be justified.

On the other hand, I am a hypocrite, because I eat meat, Yet, I would not, under normal circumstances, kill any mammal.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
Hunting's never appealed to me. Killing something that doesn't have the equal chance to kill you doesn't sound sporting. That's just me, but I don't hate or condemn hunters. If the hunter does hunt for food, and uses as much of the kill as possible - hide, antlers, meat, etc, I'm fine with that. Hell, have me over for dinner.

I don't agree about hunting to thin out a population as there's little chance of killing off the old, weak, or sick members of the herd, as predators tend to do. Killing off strong and vital members of a herd creates a dysfunctional imbalance.

Animals have as much right to exist as we do. Moving into an environment, razing it to build homes, business,  etc, doesn't mean the displaced animal population simply vanishes. We're living in their ecosystem now. Some will leave and move into other human communities, others will stay.

Having deer run out onto the road is the inherent risk of living in deer rich environments. Believing that 'Man' is the only species that counts seems arrogant, as 'Man' does very little to keep this world alive. In many cases we do just the opposite.

I accept deer as much of a hazard of the road as I do, cars, truck, wet leaves, ice, and pot holes. It's dangerous out there. Be vigilant.

-Wolf

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
Damn near got a young one just now on the way home.

It ran out into the road from between some parked cars (yes, it was hanging out on the lawn of a townhouse development), spun around and ran back.  It was dark and there was a fair amount of traffic and I didn't even see the thing until it was far into the road.

I think it was a female, because I instinctively yelled "D'oh!"

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
Ohhh boy here we go!!
This topic was for deer hunters. Yes, I realize we have PETA and animal rights people. I am not going to feed into all the animal huggers by posting 2 times the reasons we need hunting for every comment  to not needing to hunt the whitetail deer.

I will say I only take deer that are the following.
1) Mature male deer of 3 yrs and older.
2) A male deer with an uneven rack that means he has been in a fight from a previous year and could pass a bad gene on.
3) An injured deer that may have been shot with a rifle or an arrow from a previous season.
4) If none of the top 3 are taken in the first half of the season I will take a female in order to have meat in the freezer.

Deer hunting has always been in my family. I will say that all the deer I have taken been in a sportsman fashion with all deadly shots. I took 3 last year 2 of which were spinal neck shots with a .50 cal inline muzzle loader and the 3rd was a double lung shot which the deer had been shot by a previous hunter that day. All of these deer died instantly and no suffering occurred.

The deer is then taken to a meat processing shop and made into hamburger, roast and cut into strips for making jerky. I will give a lot to a friend of mine who has a family with 3 kids so this really helps out on there grocery bill. We also have Feed The Hungry here in TN which can be donated to the homeless shelters to feed homeless people, which HELPS us tax payers, and whos pocket does this come out of to pay for the processing? The hunters.

There are more solid strong points why we have a deer season here in the US and its controlled and regulated by the states Wildlife Resource Management.

So please all of you deer lovers, animal lovers that disagree with hunting I would suggest not reading the topic cause mostly it will make you sad to read our hunting stories.

Not all hunters are cruel and unsportsmanlike.

This could get heated and most likely the moderator will have to close this topic if it gets out of hand. Its one of these topics that both sides feel strongly on there beliefs.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:17:30 AM by lankeeyankee »

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »
Hunting's never appealed to me

Any you call yourself a wolf?   ;D   :o ;)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 03:31:17 AM »
I my self beleave in puting food on my table is ok. nothing wrong with hunting as long as you dont abuse it. when I go hunting I go for a full week if I dont get a buck after the 3 day I take a doe just to have meat on the table.but if its a small doe ill let it just walk on by. but at the same time if I dont someone well but Ill let theam be the bad guy and take it.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
Ohhh boy here we go!!

So please all of you deer lovers, animal lovers that disagree with hunting just keep your comments to yourself and even more so dont read the topic cause mostly it will make you sad to read our hunting stories.

I do not know how you are raised, but generally, I do not exactly like being told what to say or think.

Nobody attacked you for hunting deers:you are obviously projecting this as it used to happen in the past.

Hunting to feed the hungry is OK, but it also shows sad or almost non existing state of social affairs -> whole another topic.

Saying that "it is being done in my family" is just like claiming in criminal court that "incest runs in my family for centuries, so it must be OK".

Finally, this is a scooting forum and if you post about deer hunting in General Discussion section, you can expect that some people will be opposed to it.

Otherwise, apply your own advice and keep your macho killing spree self righteous stories also to yourself.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:11:53 AM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Hunting's never appealed to me

Any you call yourself a wolf?   ;D   :o ;)

No, but I wouldn't mind hunting a wolf, closest I came to taking a wolf was a coyote last year during deer season. No, I didn't eat the coyote either.

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »
I do not know how you are raised, but generally, I do not exactly like being told what to say or think.

Nobody attacked you for hunting deers:you are obviously projecting this as it used to happen in the past.

Hunting to feed the hungry is OK, but it also shows sad or almost non existing state of social affairs -> whole another topic.

Saying that "it is being done in my family" is just like claiming in criminal court that "incest runs in my family for centuries, so it must be OK".

Finally, this is a scooting forum and if you post about deer hunting in General Discussion section, you can expect that some people will be opposed to it.

Otherwise, apply your own advice and keep your macho killing spree self righteous stories also to yourself.

For the sensitive people I reworded one of my comments. "So please all of you deer lovers, animal lovers that disagree with hunting I would suggest not reading the topic cause mostly it will make you sad to read our hunting stories"

"Saying that "it is being done in my family" is just like claiming in criminal court that "incest runs in my family for centuries, so it must be OK"
This is an asinine comment and totally irrelevant to deer hunting. For one I am a bit upset that you would use a felony type crime and even worse a crime that involves children to deer hunting which is a sport. Comparing the two is an absolute ignorant comment!

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 11:25:44 AM »
I my self beleave in puting food on my table is ok. nothing wrong with hunting as long as you dont abuse it. when I go hunting I go for a full week if I dont get a buck after the 3 day I take a doe just to have meat on the table.but if its a small doe ill let it just walk on by. but at the same time if I dont someone well but Ill let theam be the bad guy and take it.

Hi Blue
Where do you go hunting at? Do you hunt all 3 seasons, Bow, Muzzleloader, and rifle? I really enjoy hunting with my .50 cal inline muzzleloader, nothing beats waiting on the  the cloud of smoke to rise early in the morning after a shot has been made.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
For the sensitive people I reworded one of my comments. "So please all of you deer lovers, animal lovers that disagree with hunting I would suggest not reading the topic cause mostly it will make you sad to read our hunting stories"

"Saying that "it is being done in my family" is just like claiming in criminal court that "incest runs in my family for centuries, so it must be OK"
This is an asinine comment and totally irrelevant to deer hunting. For one I am a bit upset that you would use a felony type crime and even worse a crime that involves children to deer hunting which is a sport. Comparing the two is an absolute ignorant comment!

There are more civilized countries than ones where you or I live, and where animals have right very close to human rights.
Comparisons always have to be put into perspective of local legislation and local culture.
Killing cow in a Masai tribe probably has a completely different context than "goin` to the woods deer `untin`" just because "elders used to do so".
I am quite aware it is not possible to achieve consensus on this one. I have so called "hunters" in my family circle, where "hunting" is usually just an excuse for prolonged alcohol binges and I do not discuss that with them.
Whenever there is hunting season, a number of them kill each other thinking it s a bird or a rabbit.

Poetic justice, you might say.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »
Killing cow in a Masai tribe probably has a completely different context than "goin` to the woods deer `untin`" just because "elders used to do so".
OT: Massai religion states that all cows were given to them. But they do scratch them to drink their blood. Cows are an important property without any rights.
An extreme example would be (killing cow) in the context of the Hindu culture. Cows feeding the orphaned baby Lord Krishna (mythology) are sacrosant God's Mother.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
OT: Massai religion states that all cows were given to them. But they do scratch them to drink their blood. Cows are an important property without any rights.

Basically, I was referring to lack of supermarkets in the areas where Massai traditionally live as a justification for killing animals.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
Ah, ok.
But beeing zealous cattle drovers and farmers, they don't need super markets.
But someone has still to kill. Only vultures and "western civilised" mankind like cadavers. ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:16:52 PM by ts1 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()