Author Topic: AK550 Ignition Switch, I need a tutorial  (Read 2551 times)

jemo

• View Profile
AK550 Ignition Switch, I need a tutorial
« on: January 24, 2022, 02:23:29 AM »
I just bought a used 2021 AK550 and have thoroughly read the owner's manual to understand the ignition switch.  The original owner just kept it in the keyless mode and didn't understand how to use the fob to power up the bike.

I understand turn to the right ignition switch and that's for the keyless mode and when you turn counterclockwise, it allows the knob to free spin.  Put it at about the 10 o'clock position in the detent, press the power/seat lift button and it lights up blue.  Got it.

1. How do you open the seat without starting the bike? The ignition bezel says to "push" but when the switch dial is engaged, it goes to about the 8 o'clock position and stops. I've tried pushing firmly and it won't budge counter clockwise any further.  The manual says you can manually open the seat but how?

2. What is the purpose of the keyless mode?  The manual says don't keep it in that mode and walk away for one reason because it will run the battery.  How do you all use this mode?

I can see why the new ST model has a whole different set-up.  I'm a little pessimistic in the long run this ignition is going to be reliable, I know it can be replaced but still....wonder if the new ignition switch on the ST and the dedicated buttons for fuel door and seat can be moved over to an "older" AK? The fairings look the same, just the center console looks different.

Thanks for all the help.
Jeff

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 Ignition Switch, I need a tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 03:03:37 AM »
I actually love this keyless dial. I read the manual, but also watched a video on it and was able to tell the dealer a thing or two when I picked up my bike.

Overview of the positions around the switch...
At the bottom is the switch ON and electrical seat release button. It is the seat release button only after the switch is turned ON.
Straight up is the the CENTER ON position.
Left of this is the LEFT OFF, the only true OFF position.
Farther left if the knob is pressed in and turned is the handlebar lock and mechanical seat release position.
Going to the right of the CENTER ON is the RIGHT OFF position and farther right is the gas fill cover release.

When the bike is turned off and the knob spins freely the switch is not locked in or meshed with the knob (why it turns free). That's the secure way to turn off the AK 550.
The only thing the fob does for you is to allow you to turn on the keyless switch. IF the bike is actually turned off then the knob will spin free and you won't be able to turn on the bike without the fob being near to turn on the switch.

The OFF position on the left is the true off. Only with this position do you actually need the fob to turn the switch on. That's what is happening when the fob is near and you press the silver bottom button and the ring around the switch lights up blue. At this point when you line up the knob with the LEFT OFF position you can feel the switch engage with the knob. When the knob is in this position there is a timeout of about 10(?) seconds and if not moved it will turn red and shut down disconnecting the switch from the knob.

While the ring is lit up blue if you turn the knob to the CENTER ON position the bike will turn on as shown by the dash lighting up. At this point you can start the engine and also open the seat by again pressing the silver bottom button. This is the same as if you had an actual key and turned the ignition switch to ON.

If you turn the knob to the RIGHT OFF position the engine will be shut off and the dash will go dark BUT the bike is STILL actually ON. This is why the battery will drain a bit faster than other bikes... 'cuz it's still turned on. The RIGHT OFF position should only be used when you stop for gas or stop for a really short time to take a picture or whatever. AT this point anyone can come along without the fob being anywhere near and turn the bike back on by turning the knob back to the center ON and start your AK and ride off. Turing the knob to the RIGHT OFF position and then a little more to the right will open the gas fill cover. While the knob is turned to the RIGHT OFF position you can also press the silver bottom button to open the seat as well.

When you want to turn off the bike completely then turn the knob to the LEFT OFF position and either wait for the red ring to timeout or press the silver bottom button to turn it all off. The knob will then spin free and no one can turn it back on without the fob.

If you want to lock the handlebars turn the handlebars to the left as far as they go, then if the knob is turned to the LEFT OFF position, then right away press the knob in and turn further to the right to the LOCK position. If you need to open the seat also then before the red ring times out turn the knob a little more to the left and this is a mechanical (cable operated) seat latch release. When you have locked the bars and after the timeout of the red lighted ring the knob now will spin free and you cannot unlock the bars or open the seat until you press the silver bottom button to turn the switch on again.

To unlock the bars turn the switch on again, with the fob nearby, and the ring will light up blue. Then turn the knob to the LOCK position and press it in and turn to the LEFT OFF position and if desired to the CENTER ON position.

I hope this is helpful and not more confusing. After writing it I can see it being still confusing. But I think understanding what the positions mean around the dial will make it easier to use. I have no confusion about it at all now. That switch really has no more functions than my Burgman 650 keyed ignition switch other than the gas door part.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:51:29 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 03:11:01 AM »
BTW- as I attempted to indicate above...
The ONLY thing the fob does is to enable you to turn on the switch and engage the knob. After that the fob is not needed. The button on the fob is a battery check button. Press it and a red LED will flash on then off showing the battery in the fob is still good.

Another bit of information that is sometimes missed is that if the fob battery is dead you can still turn on the bike. There is a circle pattern above the right glove box. If you place the fob with a dead battery with the Kymco logo on top that circle pattern the bike will recognize the fob and allow you to turn on the bike. I can do the same thing with my Toyota Rav4 with the keyless ignition remote by placing the logo of the dead remote against the start button and the Rav4 will turn on. This is what the antenna sticker inside the fob is used for. Loose that sticker and you will loose this function.

Of course if you only ever turn off the engine and dash by turning the knob to the right then the bike is never really OFF so no fob is needed.
/bob

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 03:49:01 AM »
Thank you RJS so much.  I hope it becomes more intuitive.  I read your explanation twice (ha) but need to read it a few more times.  The first day I rode it to the store, I accidentally turned the knob to the left, the switch turned into a free wheel and I could NOT get it to power back on.  I saw the antenna symbol on the top of the right glove box and thought it must do something and by sheer luck, I figured out what you described.  Also turned out the fob had a dead battery.  Previous owner likely had no idea he kept the bike "on" all the time by always keeping it in keyless mode.  Might also explain why the battery had trouble starting this morning, the battery voltage was 11.7. 

When I was stranded at the store, I searched youtube for an explanation and the only video I found was about 45 seconds long and the guy was frustrated with the ignition and showing how it wouldn't respond.  He said he ultimately traded the AK in for a TMax.  Do you remember where you saw the video showing what you explained as a little extra reinforcement?  I still don't understand why the dial when it's engaged won't spin counterclockwise to the seat open selector.  The dial won't spin past the 8 oclock position like I mentioned.  Or does it require a little extra effort?  I am afraid to break the dial.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 04:46:12 AM »
Can't seem to find the video now.

When the knob is engaged with the switch you MUST have the handlebars turned all the way to the left stop and then you can push the knob in and turn it to the bar lock position and also to the seat open.

BUT this is NOT the only way to open the seat and I rarely do it this way. You can open the seat with the bike turned on and the engine running or not and the knob is turned to the CENTER ON position. Just press the silver bottom button. You can also open the seat if the knob is turned to the RIGHT OFF position and you press the silver bottom button. Those are the only ways to open the seat. You do not need to turn the knob all the way to the left to open the seat. I rarely ever lock my bars so almost never use the extreme left position to open the seat on mine. I always just turn on the switch and turn it either to the CENTER ON or RIGHT OFF positions to open the seat. It is a matter of security to not be able to open the seat if the bike is actually turned off. So I am good with having to turn the bike on to open the seat. Sometime when it warms up again I intend to figure out how to put an emergency seat latch release on this AK like I did on my Burgman 650. That is an extra steel cable that has the end hidden somewhere on the bike that can be pulled to open the seat without turning on the bike and if there is ever a problem with the electric seat release.

On the battery voltage level. I normally keep mine plugged into a Battery Tender Plus when it is parked in the garage. My dealer installed a Battery Tender cable from the battery into the right glove box. That cable only is 18 gauge wire and can only have a max 10 amp fuse. I replaced that cable with a 16 gauge version that was a little longer and can have a 15 amp or 20 amp fuse. I have a Slime mini compressor that needs 15 amps so I can now plug that into the cable or my Battery Tender Plus into that cable.

I did a test of my battery to see how the voltage would drop over several days of not being plugged in with the bike actually turned off. At rest the first day my battery showed 12.3 v. A little low for being at rest for the day. Next day at the same time I turned it on for just a minute to show the voltage which was at 12.3 v. The third day it was at 12.2 v and also the same on the fourth day. The fifth day it had dropped to 12.1 v. So I know there is always a slight drain on the battery. I have read that some heated grips systems are always on. Kymco did install an update through the phone Noodoe app to change the TPMS to not stay on all the time but only turn on when the bike turns on. That helps. But I also know that in order to be able to sense your phone being near and also to sense the fob being near some other electronics have to be always on though these will cause only a minimal drain on the battery. Over time it all takes a toll on battery voltage. I can still start the bike at any of those levels so I will be fine when I go on camping trips where I am usually only one or two days at the most without going for a ride to recharge the battery. I also noted that when you first turn on the bike the voltage shown is one level but if you watch it for a minute it actually goes up a tenth or two.

One feature that is on by default is called the Welcome screen. It is described in the owner manual. If you have Noodoe installed on your phone and BT is enabled on your phone and your phone BT is paired with the AK then the Welcome screen will activate momentarily every time you come near your bike. This is shown by the Noodoe screen on the dash lighting up to a glow and then going out even without the bike being turned on at all. This is the bike sensing your phone. It will happen even if you don't have the fob nearby. I turned this feature off so the bike doesn't look for my phone. It is a feature that is only helpful to find your bike in the dark in a parking lot of dozens of other scooters. Useless for me. It is also simply a "show off" feature which I don't care about anyway.

I also turn off the BT on my phone any time I am not riding the bike... or my Rav4 since that also has a BT system to connect the phone for hands free calls. Saves a bit of battery charge on the bike, my Rav4 and my phone.

BTW- You do want Noodoe on your phone if you don't have it yet. That's how updates get put on the bike. You can also read my posts here on using Noodoe for navigation if you desire to try that. There are a lot of quirks to it but I figured out how to make it work for me... within reason.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:50:45 AM by rjs987 »
/bob

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:08:37 PM »
RJS, you're a wealth of info.  I need to let all this digest, it's a lot to understand. 

I did install the app on my phone and will try to see how to turn off the Welcome Screen.  Right, how many scooters do you park next to anywhere?!  Zero. 

Would I find your other tutorials on using the Nav in the General Discussion forum?

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 10:21:02 PM »
Would I find your other tutorials on using the Nav in the General Discussion forum?

Most of my threads can be found in the Technical/How To sub forum since they usually have to do with... well... Technical or How To information.  ;D
/bob

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 03:16:52 PM »
You've been very helpful, thank you!

KayakGuy

• Gettin old but trying not to slow down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 07:25:59 PM »
Just read this thread. I was having some of the same issues as jemo - just picked up my '22 AK yesterday! Thanks for the info rjs, it was REALLY helpful. I thought the user manual for the X-Town 300 (I traded in) was bad, but this is terrible.  Great product, but lousy documentation. By contrast, my wife's Piaggio manual is awesome. For a $10K bike, Kymco should get some better technical writers for the U.S. market. Having said that, I will not let the manual spoil my fun. Only a couple hours of riding so far and I love it!!
Riding a '22 AK 550, ‘22 G400C.
Wife rides a '21 Piaggio Liberty 150.

Previously rode Bajaj Chetak, B&W250, Vulcan 750, Star Venture, VStar 950, X-Town 300i.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 09:26:43 PM »
I love going to the Tampa airport and picking up my National rental cars, no owners manual, the key is a thing that looks like a Hershey bar that somebody stepped on. The ladies in the booth that take your credit card don't know anything about the car except that it's a free upgrade without an extra charge oh... So I take it! Reserve a Kia Soul drive out in the Chevy Tahoe no extra charge !!!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 11:08:01 PM »
Just read this thread. I was having some of the same issues as jemo - just picked up my '22 AK yesterday! Thanks for the info rjs, it was REALLY helpful. I thought the user manual for the X-Town 300 (I traded in) was bad, but this is terrible.  Great product, but lousy documentation. By contrast, my wife's Piaggio manual is awesome. For a $10K bike, Kymco should get some better technical writers for the U.S. market. Having said that, I will not let the manual spoil my fun. Only a couple hours of riding so far and I love it!!

Congrats on the purchase. Ask me anything about it on the forum and I'm sure someone will answer. Maybe even me?  ;D
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()