Author Topic: Have you ever had your rides stolen?  (Read 1074 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Have you ever had your rides stolen?
« on: January 30, 2022, 04:48:28 PM »
KK's latest sad news reminded me of experiences I've had over the past 55 years I've had with thieves.

In the 60's, while in medic training at Ft Sam Houston (TX) wife and I awoke to find our new blue Honda CB175 stolen from the garage of out apt.
Ins. man said, "here's a check - it's long gone kid". No waiting for the police to find it! Replaced it with a new green CB350/.

Couple yrs later while living in a pretty sketchy neighborhood in Mass, my 60's Mustang convertible was stolen twice. I never locked it - so they wouldn't cut my top. Found both times in Hartford, Conn. Paid the towing, storage and for a new ignition both times.
Then one night when I came home from night shift at the hospital I saw that a neighboring apt building was on fire. I ran up and down the stairwell banging on doors and got the 3 families out.
While all the moms and kids and I were standing on the corner watching the police and firemen doing their thing - the mothers thanked me profusely, and asked me how they could ever repay me. 'I thought to myself - here's my chance~!' "Well", I said, ..."see my Ford over there?...I wonder if you could pass the word to the teens in the neighborhood to stop taking it to Hartford on joy rides?"
I never lost the car again!

Subaru broken into in a parking garage - ripped out my radio.
Wife's Jetta broken into - didn't lose anything but the widow - nothing of value in the car!
My whole left front headlight assembly removed from my '69 VW bus.

While I stole a big old dirty motorbike late one night, after we missed the last train, from in front of a train station in Paris. (@1963) We made in almost two blocks before the Gendarmes swooped down on us. [the area was staked out due to recent assassination  attempts on De Gaulle. He was to speak there the next day.] Our plan was to 'borrow it' and leave it at the next station. No idea how we got it started - because we couldn't figure out how to turn it off - while these guys stood there laughing at us. Somewhere, in some file cabinet in Versailles is a folder with my name and mug shot....("Major Tom - CRIMINEL")

I'm not proud of that stupidity - Some poor old Frenchman nearly lost his only mode of transportation. I think the French still hate Americans....

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever had your rides stolen?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 05:02:14 PM »
I have lost a couple of car stereos out of unlocked vehicles, the latest being about 6 years ago out of my blazer. Single individual at 1:17 in the morning according to the video.  Lost a case of CD'S out of a truck along with some lose change and a few bucks in the console, unlocked truck.  I call those crimes of opportunity. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 05:12:06 PM »
I had a stereo stolen out of a car once, but I found out who the punks were, and is suddenly turned up

chainsaws is what I have had stolen, 3 times, and more recently, a cordless drill and a circular saw

but no cars other than my son taking a joyride

RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 06:03:16 PM »
Almost afraid to say anything...
No, not YET!

But I came close. I think it was just after I bought my Burgman 650 and was parked in the mc parking spots at work. State of Iowa Capitol Complex. There were 4 bikes parked there besides mine. One was a Harley. That afternoon I took a walk out to check on the bike and the Harley was missing. Capitol police found it 2 blocks away with the ignition broken out. Thief couldn't get it started so tried to push it down the hill but still failed so left it. Owner turned up a few days later with a new Ducati. I guess a Harley is still good for something. Just be sure you park next to one when you can.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 08:17:03 PM »
Had a 250cc OSSA Pioneer stolen off my patio in Pennsylvania in the '70.  Never found the bike ir tge tieves.
Another attempt in Delaware to steal my Honda x;500 was not successful because they couldn't defeat the chain link fence. They did get my son's  235 Honda and dumped it in the pond across the road when they couldn't get it started. 
Like 150i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 01:14:57 AM »
Yeah. Cased by thieves. They rolled in after we rolled out. Snatched my 2013 DT300i, a walk-behind lawn mower and a battery charger. They were in a Suburban so I am sure the bike went in on the side. The upshot was they destroyed the ignition switch trying to turn it on and then were towing it with a rope and crashed. Injured the dum.....thief enough to leave blood on the road. Replaced it with new, old stock same year, model and color. Been locking the gate installed after the theft since 2016 'cause the driver of the Suburban still loose. The injured guy still in jail having decided it's easier than either working forva living or stealing.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 08:43:25 AM »
One car back in the day, a Ford XR2 Fiesta - hot hatchback so popular with joyriders. Abandoned 40 miles away so had it back, but hanged soon after as never felt the same about it. Never a bike as yet and I hope I never do. Most of the time they’re in an alarmed garage with two big dogs on guard….
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:52:00 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 04:25:25 PM »
One car back I the day, a Ford XR2 Fiesta - hot hatchback so popular with joyriders. Abandoned 40 miles away so had it back, but hanged soon after as never felt the same about it. Never a bike as yet and I hope I never do. Most of the time they’re in an alarmed garage with two big dogs on guard….
I keep reading about Vespa owners in London having a tough time.
Some have just given up trying to own one in that city.
Our Piaggios have a special 'brown' key, and a system to prevent it from starting without the coded key.
They must have figured a way around that.
One is supposed to put the brown key in a safe deposit box at the bank....big bucks if you lose it .
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 05:32:34 PM »
Yeah, I’ve ridden in London a few times when there on courses and was always on edge that my bike would be stolen. Abus Shackle lock and chaining it to something immovable seemed to work for me!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

DaveBotaine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 02:10:46 AM »
In 2003 I had my  1997 YZF1000R stolen from my apartment building while I was at work (I worked overnight back then).   What I think had happened was one of the girls who lived in the building also worked at a key shop where I had gone to get a copy made.   Pretty sure she made a copy for herself too, but I didn't try to prove anything.   I had a loan on it, and full coverage insurance thankfully, so I got a payout.   For years after, the local PD would send me a postcard about once a year saying:  "We're still looking for your bike!"
2015 Kymco Downtown 300i
2014 Honda VFR800F

Kymco Slice

• 2022 AK550
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 01:55:13 AM »
In 2018 I had my scooter stolen out of a 7-11 parking lot right in front of their security cameras.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 08:59:22 AM »
In 2018 I had my scooter stolen out of a 7-11 parking lot right in front of their security cameras.

Wow, that was cheeky Slice!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 01:39:46 AM »
Was the key in it?
Here a smattering of cars are being tzken while being warmed up, unattended in the morning.  Remote starters.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 01:54:16 AM »
Was the key in it?
Here a smattering of cars are being tzken while being warmed up, unattended in the morning.  Remote starters.

Stig

It used to be with remote starters that the instant the car is put in gear the engine quits unless the driver inserts the key. That was for cars that normally use a key to be started. With keyless ignition that game has changed as Tom stated.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 04:33:31 AM »
A good friend had his Dodge Pickup taken. It seems a couple of young men's car had broken down and they needed to get parts in Salina to repair the car.  Chris always left the keys in the old truck. They took the truck got the parts and drove back to McPherson.  (60 mile round trip). Chris was out of town for the weekend and noticed the truck wasn't parked where he left it and minus some fuel when he got back.

I would say he was extremely lucky.  Evidently the police came by and told him what had happened.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()