Author Topic: 2014 Yamaha Majesty  (Read 957 times)

DaveBotaine

• View Profile
2014 Yamaha Majesty
« on: February 01, 2022, 02:24:13 AM »
So there's a 2014 Yamaha Majesty "nearby" listed for $3199.   

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/64963478

I was thinking of trading my 2015 Downtown 300i for it.   I can't find the trade in value for my DT300i, but I figure I would have to put $1000 cash into the deal.

Would you do it?
2015 Kymco Downtown 300i
2014 Honda VFR800F

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Yamaha Majesty
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 09:56:55 AM »
Personally, no as it’s not different enough. They do have a good reputation though, so   depends how much you like the Majesty I guess.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 02:02:33 PM »
8 year old scooter---that had big recalls when new---and hard to work on---$500-$800 in my book---no longer on market.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 03:47:13 PM »
I don't have anything bad to say about the Majesty.  Parts are higher for example a fuel pump assembly was $463 for my Majesty and $160. For my Xciting. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

DaveBotaine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 12:17:00 AM »
Here's why I was considering it (should have put this in my first post)

1.  I ride 2-up alot with my DT.   The Majesty is a little bigger and more powerful.   
2.  There's a Yamaha dealer 20 miles from where I live, so maintenance would be easier.

I didn't realize Yamaha parts are more expensive than Kymco parts though.
2015 Kymco Downtown 300i
2014 Honda VFR800F

scooter freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 12:58:57 AM »
would recommend getting on the yamaha scooter forums to check this out. I believe something about working on them being hard, something about the air filters maybe? they usually do make a good product, good luck

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 04:39:32 PM »
Here's why I was considering it (should have put this in my first post)

1.  I ride 2-up alot with my DT.   The Majesty is a little bigger and more powerful.   
2.  There's a Yamaha dealer 20 miles from where I live, so maintenance would be easier.

I didn't realize Yamaha parts are more expensive than Kymco parts though.
I grew up riding Yamaha's and they make a quality product.  I would check out the Majesty forum for more information.

I would also check out the new Kymco AK 550 scooter as well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:42:26 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 06:05:45 PM »
I have a 2012 Majesty with over 28000 miles on it.  Like most maxi scooters it has a lot of plastic to remove if you need to repair anything.  On the other hand mine has been super reliable.  The only issue I have had with it was replacing the air filters.  There are three filters which cost around $150 for the OEM filters.  Luckily you can get aftermarket filters for about a third of that cost.  Changing the filters was a royal PITA because of the cheap fasteners used on the covers.  They were over tightened and I stripped the heads on a few of them and had to drill them out.  I replaced them with better fasteners.  The filters get dirty quickly and need to be replaced more often than the manual says.  I have been replacing mine every 6K miles. 

Other than that, no issues.  Oil changes are easy.  Even changing the belt wasn't hard.  The belt actually lasts longer than the recommended change interval.  I changed mine at 18K and is still looked fine.  I changed the plug once and that was super easy.  I'm still on the original brake pads.  The valve adjustment interval is 26.6K and I understand it's very complicated & expensive if you have the dealer do it.  I haven't done it on mine and will wait for a while. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 03:35:53 PM »
Another beautiful scooter - but no thanks due to frequent and difficult servicing requirements.
And, I'm like John - why ever push a scooter beyond the specified months/miles for a belt replacement!??!
A broken belt can be way more serious than a lousy road-side inconvenience - it could be dangerous to lose power in so many situations!
Think about all the times you wouldn't want to switch your car off.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 04:09:28 PM »

Stig

Kymco even puts a warning about that right in the user manual for the AK 550. Warning: Don't turn the keyless knob to the off position while riding on the road!
Right after reading that I went for a ride and I was SO paranoid and at the same time tempted to let the devil make me reach down and turn the knob.  :o
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 04:26:56 AM »
Another beautiful scooter - but no thanks due to frequent and difficult servicing requirements.
And, I'm like John - why ever push a scooter beyond the specified months/miles for a belt replacement!??!
A broken belt can be way more serious than a lousy road-side inconvenience - it could be dangerous to lose power in so many situations!

Stig

I went beyond the belt replacement interval because of posts from people with very high mileage majesty's saying they went something like 24K on one belt.  I did inspect the belt at around 12K and it looked great and was still as wide as the new belt I had bought.  On the other hand the belt on my Like 150i snapped 2K before it was due for replacement.  I generally follow the guidelines in the owners manual but sometimes the info in the owners manual is BS.  I'll replace the current belt on my Like based on past experience, not the owners manual.  Doing a little research goes a long way.  I have seen too much BS in owners manuals to blindly follow them.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 02:32:19 PM »
I went beyond the belt replacement interval because of posts from people with very high mileage majesty's saying they went something like 24K on one belt.  I did inspect the belt at around 12K and it looked great and was still as wide as the new belt I had bought.  On the other hand the belt on my Like 150i snapped 2K before it was due for replacement.  I generally follow the guidelines in the owners manual but sometimes the info in the owners manual is BS.  I'll replace the current belt on my Like based on past experience, not the owners manual.  Doing a little research goes a long way.  I have seen too much BS in owners manuals to blindly follow them.
No problemmo Kav. Certainly.

For me?: Internet Posts/Forum posts vs info from ....well, we won't go there these days.
 I'm not a convert .....not when it comes to brakes or belts, or etc.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DaveBotaine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 09:52:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm just going to wait.     Been looking at used Burger 400's too.

and, yes I am aware of the Kymco AK550.   Sure, I would love one, but it's out of my price range, and it's relatively new.   I want to see how time treats them.   It would be nice to pick up a 3 or 4 year old one for half price.
2015 Kymco Downtown 300i
2014 Honda VFR800F

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()