Author Topic: NSR: buying local...  (Read 1098 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: NSR: buying local...
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 02:16:35 AM »
or I coulda let my house go to hell and buy a scooter instead
I do know some older people who said there done with home repairs.  It will last longer then they will.  Kinda funny/sad depending on your perspective, when  I purchase major appliances now it is with the intention of it being the last time.

Reminds me of a salesman trying to sell my 85 year old uncle new windows, the salesman was touting the fact they had a lifetime guarantee.  My uncle's reply was priceless (( how long do you think they have to last I'm 85 years old)).*

* my uncle lived until 91, his wife lived to be 96. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 04:58:38 PM »
I do know some older people who said there done with home repairs.  It will last longer then they will.  Kinda funny/sad depending on your perspective, when  I purchase major appliances now it is with the intention of it being the last time.

Reminds me of a salesman trying to sell my 85 year old uncle new windows, the salesman was touting the fact they had a lifetime guarantee.  My uncle's reply was priceless (( how long do you think they have to last I'm 85 years old)).*

* my uncle lived until 91, his wife lived to be 96.

now that I'm retired, and have a little extra $$ to spend, I've been replacing most of my junk tools with high quality, my son visited me right after I bought a new worm drive Skil saw 10¼", and thanked me for buying good tools that he will inherit someday

long time ago, an elderly woman in her 70s called me to design a new septic system, she lived there with her centurion mother. soils were crappy,  and disappointed them when I told them they could pump their existing tank weekly for 40 years for what it would cost to replace the system.  But, I found them a grant and they were happy

RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 05:13:14 PM »
now that I'm retired, and have a little extra $$ to spend, I've been replacing most of my junk tools with high quality, my son visited me right after I bought a new worm drive Skil saw 10¼", and thanked me for buying good tools that he will inherit someday

long time ago, an elderly woman in her 70s called me to design a new septic system, she lived there with her centurion mother. soils were crappy,  and disappointed them when I told them they could pump their existing tank weekly for 40 years for what it would cost to replace the system.  But, I found them a grant and they were happy
I still have Dad's Craftsman circular saw Mom bought him for Christmas to put new siding on the house. Not only did it last his lifetime it will probably last  mine as well.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 07:18:08 PM »
I've kind of been doing the same with all my power tools lately. Since I retired my Craftsman circular saw that was bought back in the mid '80s crapped out and was replaced with a mini Rockwell, since I wasn't using it much these days anyway. Just last year while re-building my deck the Craftsman jig saw that I inherited from my wife's dad crapped out. He built houses back in the 40s, 50s and into the 60s, then garages after that and then worked for Overhead door as a contract salesman. That jig saw was at least 60-65 years old. I replaced that with another Craftsman saw. But the problem I'm finding is even Craftsman tools and almost all other brands of tools are no longer made in the USA... so not so local.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 07:41:32 PM »
I've kind of been doing the same with all my power tools lately. Since I retired my Craftsman circular saw that was bought back in the mid '80s crapped out and was replaced with a mini Rockwell, since I wasn't using it much these days anyway. Just last year while re-building my deck the Craftsman jig saw that I inherited from my wife's dad crapped out. He built houses back in the 40s, 50s and into the 60s, then garages after that and then worked for Overhead door as a contract salesman. That jig saw was at least 60-65 years old. I replaced that with another Craftsman saw. But the problem I'm finding is even Craftsman tools and almost all other brands of tools are no longer made in the USA... so not so local.
For several years Craftsman tools are the same thing as Harbor Freight quality.  Disposable tools sold cheap.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 11:19:46 PM »
couple years ago, I bought a Montezuma tool box, a top triangle box, very convenient for most often used tools, made in Montezuma, KS, I understand that at one time, they made boxes for Snap-On

my old circular saw I replaced was a cheapo 7¼" Black & Decker, wandering blade , the 10¼"   is kinda big for most stuff, ( I got it to do rough cut 4" )  so I plan in getting a smaller worm drive Skil

I have an old AMF era Dewalt radial arm saw that I plan on restoring, mostly all it needs is a new table top, and brushes in the motor,  I bought it from my ex brother in law 30 years ago for $50 when he bought a new Craftsman with all the fancy do-das
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()