Author Topic: Kymco runs poorly when low on gas  (Read 495 times)

bxc

• View Profile
Kymco runs poorly when low on gas
« on: February 02, 2022, 06:43:39 AM »
Hope everyone is well. So I joined this forum a few months ago when my wife bought a used 2012 Kymco Like 200i. I mentioned at the time that the bike seems to "choke" when I dethrottle. I replaced the spark plug with an iridium and thought that fixed the problem. But the other day I was coming to a stop and the Kymco felt like it was losing and power and shut off. I was able to quickly start it up again.

The bike had about 1/4 of a tank left. I tried refilling the gas, and the problem went away - it ran very smooth, including at very low speeds. Then when it was low on gas again, the issue came back.

I have a theory that this is either related to the fuel pump or the fuel filter, if the 200i even has a fuel filter. I have the Cyclpedia manual in front of me and there is no mention of a fuel filter in here - so should I assume it doesn't have one?

Before I start taking apart the bike, does anyone have any theories for what's wrong? It would help me decide where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco runs poorly when low on gas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 10:25:07 AM »
Had similar when my X-Town 300 was new, but that was on a full tank and proved to be the fuel filler cap breather / vent hole. Have you considered that?  Any blockage or restriction would lead to a vacuum forming in the tank reducing fuel flow?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 05:32:41 PM »
Re: vent hole - I'll take a look at that, thank you.

Also, I probably did a poor job on labeling the title of this thread. The Kymco isn't "low on gas" meaning near empty. It has a quarter tank left and not near the red line. I personally ride two motorcycles that don't behave this way when they're at a quarter tank. Welcome any other thoughts.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 07:21:57 PM »
@bxc, try this vent thing. If the scoot still not behaves pls take out your fuel pump and check whether its in-tank filter or its fuel line is choked somehow.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 03:19:02 PM »
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=28759.0

See you LIKE's fuel filter here....on the end of the fuel pump which is located in the fuel tank.
Looks sort of like a tea bag.
Of course there were a few reported instances of that little short black fuel line down there in the tank on the pump becoming "rotted"...Probably caused a blockage somewhere in the longer fuel line....or the injector. It was replaced with new - and ran fine afterwards. This seemed to be a rare issue - and only with a batch of parts on the 2012 manufactured LIKE200i's.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:28:41 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 06:35:51 AM »
Thanks, all.

@Stig - I read your sticky post. When you removed the fuel pump, did you let the engine run "until it dies of fuel starvation"? The Cyclepedia manual says to do this to release fuel pressure, but that sounds like a pain.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 01:50:17 PM »
Thanks, all.

@Stig - I read your sticky post. When you removed the fuel pump, did you let the engine run "until it dies of fuel starvation"? The Cyclepedia manual says to do this to release fuel pressure, but that sounds like a pain.

No, I disconnected the battery - removed the line at the top of the tank, paper towels handy and covering the line as I removed it!! I put a golf Tee in the line.
Again, I needed to gently lever that large disc from the tank with a block of wood and a large screwdriver - the 'O' ring was pretty snug. Do not damage it - hard to find part - and mine was good to re-use.

Please let us know what you find when you get in there!
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()