Author Topic: Dave Chappell's comedy club  (Read 401 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Dave Chappell's comedy club
« on: February 10, 2022, 12:33:51 PM »
Interesting article this morning about Chappell threatening to pull his investment in the comedy club if the city puts in affordable housing development.  The article clear as mud was in fox online.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Chappell's comedy club
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 07:17:49 PM »
KK,
Ah Yellow Springs, OH (pop. 3,900) once described as a "Bernie Sanders island in the Sea of Trump" (Ohio).
I remember my Great Aunt, who lived nearby, smiling & telling me (I was @14 yrs old) that YS was a "pretty, friendly, little communist village" for as long as she could remember. Antioch college was active in the village in those days.

I started visiting YS as a youngster in the 60's....and I remember a lot of sandal wearing guys and mini-skirted girls - but no one seemed to be glowing bright Pink! To this day you will find an indigo-blue haired girl walking with a pink haired friend....but , as my very, very conservative wife (slowly) came to realize - they're more likely to smile at you than bite.

"Kindness" first, is the village motto.....but that goes for all kinds. Every kind. Every political persuasion as well. (Shoot - can't remember the last time they lynched a republican.) It's not for everyone...perhaps especially NOT for those who wake up angry each day and can't wait to share that with you.

Chappelle? I've met him a couple of times on the sidewalk. Daughter and I passed him the other day behind Dino's, "Good mornings" both ways.. Friendly enough - but a little wary like most super-stars probably have to be (but I'd never heard of him!) Don't think that he speaks for the village. It was Yellow Springs before he moved here - it'll be YS if he moves away.

That comedy-club-dinner- spot seems  little strange to me. But he has hosted big names at a mostly private venue for a few years, nearby.
I didn't think the handsome new Mills Park Hotel would fit in the village (just up the street from my Dino's Cappuccino's) but it has.

Chappelle's comedy/diner spot is just 3 doors down and around the corner from Dino's. The hotel has, and the comedy place  likely will, increase Dino's business. If it causes problems - hopefully it will fold.

Dino has this 'nice' patio out back of his shop .....but you can't people watch back here in the alley!

The really big news for me is that Tom's Market has changed managers! I sure hope the new guy does not take away my big Group W bench~! It is basically THE last good people-watching seating in the village! It's one thing to sit in the dark with your scooter at 6 AM...quite silly looking to do it directly in the rain!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 04:25:16 AM »
It sounds like Tom's son Jeff will take over the market.

The patio area at Dino's reminds me of a small home I purchased for my Mom after Dad passed away.  I built a deck on the front of the house instead of the back. Neighbors asked about lack of privacy with the front deck. I responded Mom enjoyed watching the people while she enjoyed her coffee and  cigarettes  and didn't want to sit in the back yard isolated.

I always enjoyed Dave Chappelle's comedy.  He was also a victim of the cancel culture unfortunately because of his views.

I never thought I would see a real life version of Animal Farm take place in America.

I don't care what your political affiliations are there's enough greed and corruption of both sides of the isle. Both sides try to vilify the other.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
I'm minded to offer that us scooter riders tend to rise above that sort of partisan approach?  "Live & let live" is not just a motto, more than a way of life for us!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 04:10:40 PM »
Interesting article this morning about Chappell threatening to pull his investment in the comedy club if the city puts in affordable housing development.  The article clear as mud was in fox online.
The planned development by the builder would have set aside 3 lots for future affordable housing.
The remainder of the 140 lots will have houses priced from $250K to $600K built on them.

I tried to imagine how these future affordable houses would be situated within this new plot of homes starting at a quarter million dollars. And how welcome these affordable homes would be with their wealthy neighbors.

Yellow Springs, and it's small locally owned shops, has survived as long as it has by escaping the shadows of Walmart, Home Depot and Kroger type stores.

Now it seems it's population is about to increase by at least 10% when this builder is finished with the village a year or two from now.

One needn't understand why this village has consistently remained something of a modest tourist attraction* for half a century - to see that some in the village are concerned.

Imagine your favorite little coastal village having a builder drop 150 expensive homes next to it. This is the crux of the concern.

Stig

* Summer days - starting about 11AM - the sidewalks get crowded. Fridays and Saturdays, year around if the sun is out - get pretty crazy. Twice a yr street fairs (pre-covid) were monsters. Get there by 8AM for side-street parking - leave by 11AM - as my daughter and I do.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 04:14:55 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 05:19:48 PM »
Stig YS reminds me of old Florida,  places like Ceder Key that only has local owned restaurants and shops. 

One of the main reasons I love Ely MN is the people and small town atmosphere.  The Front Porch coffee shop has live music on Fridays during the summer. The town park is utilized extensively as well for different festivals,arts/crafts, farmers market .  During the winter they have a huge snow sculpture  contest. 

To me it's like going back to a simpler time of life at a slower pace.  I would live there full time but don't think I could tolerate the bitter cold winter's.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 08:56:48 AM »
I suspect no development of that size could be inserted sympathetically, it’s bound to alter the nature of the built environment. Short-sighted pursuit of the almighty dollar. Some things are worth preserving, despite the cost.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()