Author Topic: CVT belt replaced, something strange happened.  (Read 6777 times)

HTCneil

• View Profile
CVT belt replaced, something strange happened.
« on: November 07, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »
 I just replaced the stovk CVT belt cause it snapped on my way to galveston. (17,500 miles)

ANyways, my dealer replaced it and I have encountered these strange events:

Before it snapped, I would redline at 75 miles per hour indicated. I generally on the highway would cruise at 70 mph and it would be at 7000rpms.

NOW, with the replaced belt, Kymco belt, I redline at 82mph indicated and when i cruise ay 70mph, the tachometer says only 6500rpms

Sooooo what happened? Did it always redline at 82mph when i first got my bike, but over time when the belt loosens or gets older it increases rpms.

Another odd thing is i have lost about 2 miles per gallon, nbow only at 41mpg with the new belt. You'd think with the reduced rpms i would get better gas mileage.

Help 500ri experts!

axy

• View Profile
Re: CVT belt replaced, something strange happened.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
I just replaced the stovk CVT belt cause it snapped on my way to galveston. (17,500 miles)

ANyways, my dealer replaced it and I have encountered these strange events:

Before it snapped, I would redline at 75 miles per hour indicated. I generally on the highway would cruise at 70 mph and it would be at 7000rpms.

NOW, with the replaced belt, Kymco belt, I redline at 82mph indicated and when i cruise ay 70mph, the tachometer says only 6500rpms

Sooooo what happened? Did it always redline at 82mph when i first got my bike, but over time when the belt loosens or gets older it increases rpms.

Another odd thing is i have lost about 2 miles per gallon, nbow only at 41mpg with the new belt. You'd think with the reduced rpms i would get better gas mileage.

Help 500ri experts!

The dealer has installed a longer belt than OEM belt.
Longer belt = higher revs
It is a paradox, most people would think that longer belt = lower revs.

You need more revs to achieve the same speed.

Your acceleration could be a bit better, because with longer belt, you have shortened the effective gear ratio.

The consumption could rise a bit (insignificantly probably).

Certainy, this is much better option than having a shorter belt that could snap.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
Axy, look at his figures again -- his revs went down, not up!  Maybe the dealer cleaned and greased his torque driver for one thing. 

For another, maybe he left the washer out of the variator.   ;D  Which would be fine, . . . we think.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »
By the way, HTCneil, your revs are now more like the rest of us, I do believe. 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
Axy, look at his figures again -- his revs went down, not up!  Maybe the dealer cleaned and greased his torque driver for one thing. 

For another, maybe he left the washer out of the variator.   ;D  Which would be fine, . . . we think.

You are right.
Everything I wrote is still correct though (in reverse).
I would check the belt length. It would not be the first time they install shorter belt by mistake and these things tend to snap.
Ask MarioG for details... he had too short belt on his Agility, now he has also a new variator and he was lucky for not having bent crankshaft too when the belt snapped.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »
The old belt was worn to the means it is not so wide and that mean it cant push the variator plate aside as much as a new belt.
I have also changed my belt some time ago a that also increased the topspeed because the old belt was 1,2 mm smaller in width then the new one.
Old belt : 16,35 mm wide.
New belt : 17,57 mm wide.
And they where both the type type of belt.
Here is some pictures : http://scootergrisen.dk/scooterhjemmeside/service_transmission.php

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:15:09 AM »
The old belt was worn to the means it is not so wide and that mean it cant push the variator plate aside as much as a new belt.
I have also changed my belt some time ago a that also increased the topspeed because the old belt was 1,2 mm smaller in width then the new one.
Old belt : 16,35 mm wide.
New belt : 17,57 mm wide.
And they where both the type type of belt.
Here is some pictures : http://scootergrisen.dk/scooterhjemmeside/service_transmission.php

Wow! This is what I call proper documentation! :) :) :)
Btw. I guess that Danish rigtigt means the same as german richtig or correct?
The picture on the right shows correct placement of roller weights?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »
I too just changed my Xcitings belt and sliders at 25'km.
As expected, the rpm decreases. Still can't definitely compare the new mileage (dithers too much).

rigtig (dk) = richtig (de).

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:56 PM »
I too just changed my Xcitings belt and sliders at 25'km.
As expected, the rpm decreases. Still can't definitely compare the new mileage (dithers too much).

For how many kms did the last belt turn around? :)
The same question for the rollers.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
Both 25'km. Finally they rubbed off below their safe tolerance. I dislike certain surprises and took no risk.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »
Both 25'km. Finally they rubbed off below their safe tolerance. I dislike certain surprises and took no risk.

Wow!
I was thinking the belt would be below specs sooner than that, like 12K kms or so, as for 125 cc machines...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
So what you all are saying is, I am back where i needed to be in regards to the rpms per mph.

So its safe to say, that over time maybe my redline will decrease as the belt gets worn?

Then why the reduction in Miles per gallon. 3 miles per galloon is significant. I aint getting no better than a Harley at 40-41mpg.?????

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 11:54:55 PM »
Das ich richtig  ;D Seer gut.

I dont know what you only go 41 mpg. Maby the belt just needs to be used a little... but have you changed the rollers also ?
Check your tirepressure and pump to the right pressure.

And then ask some one with the same scooter as you have and ask how maby mpg they ride.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
So what you all are saying is, I am back where i needed to be in regards to the rpms per mph.

To be honest, after 12 years on scoots, I have never noticed revs going up or down after belt replacements.
However, I have noticed, and only on 50 cc 2strokes, that they accelerate maybe a tad faster and have a bit higher top speed after new belt is installed.
For 125 and 250... nothing.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 03:16:36 AM »
Hey, HTCneil.  I just replaced my belt too and got the same symptoms as you.  I think the reason the gas mileage went down is, with the lower revs, I was having to twist the throttle more to get the same acceleration I used to get.  I'm guessing that on a long highway trip we'd see the mileage go up nicely, though. 

I wound up putting my old belt back on cause it seemed to ride smoother with it.  I'll leave it that way till I tune my clutch a little with some stiffer springs.  Then try new belt again. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()