Author Topic: any tips for removing old gaskets from aluminum cases?  (Read 654 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
any tips for removing old gaskets from aluminum cases?
« on: March 02, 2022, 01:41:28 PM »
while I am slowly cleaning up my completely disassembled engine...I'm finding the most challenging part of this whole process is removing the old, baked on gasket material. I know this isn't a new problem...but I'm curious if anyone has found anything that works well?

I have tried various things..Permatex gasket remover, plastic razor blades, plastic scraper, scotchbrite, WD40 and a razor blade (I know, never use a razor blade on aluminum), rubber bullet (with grit) things for a Dremel and my latest one, paint remover.

The '2-5 minute contact time' paint remover needed about 5 applications and an hour of contact time to soften the gaskets. It helped but wasn't a game changer.  So I'm back to soaking the gaskets with WD40 to soften them and using a razor blade to carefully scrape. Slow, tedious process that could result in gouging a slice of aluminum off the case at any time..

Anything I'm missing that may help in this process?  (still waiting on my gasket and seals plus I ordered a new exhaust valve and a washer that fits under the valve spring that somehow disappeared on me!)

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: any tips for removing old gaskets from aluminum cases?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 02:14:29 PM »
Razor blade/good paint scraper + extreme care × extreme patience = satifactory results. Pulling hair out is optional!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »
Razor blade/good paint scraper + extreme care × extreme patience = satifactory results. Pulling hair out is optional!

thanks, Karl! You've obviously done this before!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 04:33:01 PM »
@hawk, like CROSSBOLT says (maybe without this "hair" option).
Don't worry too much about alu slices. After all is done, fix 200 grid sanding paper on an even piece of glass or similar, shove parts in rotating moves around on it until straight. Takes only a few /100 mm off.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 05:38:08 PM »
thanks, Ruffus! I'm surprised that no one has come up with a chemical means of quickly removing old gasket material. It seems like there would have to be some product (or chemical) capable of removing old gasket?...oh, well, until then it looks like I'll keep using my sharp razor blades.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 07:50:08 PM »
@hawk, there is, a method we used industrially.
A big "motor part washing" machine. Had high temperature (kind of steam cooker) and a lot of chemicals which are not adviseable for privat use. Peeled off this gaskets nearly completely and made parts look like new.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 10:54:46 PM »
too bad I can't borrow that machine!  I can get these clean, it is just tedious work...here's a clean case and one I'm still working on..
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 12:58:17 AM »

Amen...that is how I have done it for years, taught my sons lots of new vocabulary words while doing so !!!

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 08:27:05 AM »
@hawk, good job. On the second part looks like "bubbling up" already. Yes, it's nasty, but has to be done.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 11:54:14 AM »
thanks, Ruffus! I'm surprised that no one has come up with a chemical means of quickly removing old gasket material. It seems like there would have to be some product (or chemical) capable of removing old gasket?...oh, well, until then it looks like I'll keep using my sharp razor blades.
In the distant past I used a Kleanstrip product called Aircraft Remover which worked well.  You had to be careful, as it would attack any exterior coating on the outside of the case.  Then the ingredients were deemed unsafe (I think the word carcinogen was used), the product was re-formulated and is no longer the excellent product it once was.  Back to careful tedious scraping. 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 01:19:09 PM »
In the distant past I used a Kleanstrip product called Aircraft Remover which worked well.  You had to be careful, as it would attack any exterior coating on the outside of the case.  Then the ingredients were deemed unsafe (I think the word carcinogen was used), the product was re-formulated and is no longer the excellent product it once was.  Back to careful tedious scraping.

when I was looking for paint stripper I was looking for the one with all the skull and crossbones on it...with the dangerous, toxic ingredients...but it appears they don't exist anymore (or at least my local hardware store only sells the new, 'safer' versions)...
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 03:59:21 PM »
If you have a Die Grinder, A 90 degree model works best, you can buy an attachment to use an a velcro type abrasive pad that will zip off the gasket material easily. As always you must be careful not to hover in one spot to long as to gouge the aluminum. Works great on the stubborn gaskets
CJS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 06:26:35 PM »
when I was looking for paint stripper I was looking for the one with all the skull and crossbones on it...with the dangerous, toxic ingredients...but it appears they don't exist anymore (or at least my local hardware store only sells the new, 'safer' versions)...

Just look around like we're not talking here...
"My BIL knows a guy who knows a guy who knew a guy who used to know a guy - before he went up the river, and ...ah, I forget where we're going here...."

Good luck.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 01:47:41 AM »
@hawk, there is, a method we used industrially.
A big "motor part washing" machine. Had high temperature (kind of steam cooker) and a lot of chemicals which are not adviseable for privat use. Peeled off this gaskets nearly completely and made parts look like new.

I'm lucky enuf, I can take my part(s) to a friend who owns a transmission shop, and pay him to clean my parts in his washer, you ain't kidding about making parts look like new
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 05:55:47 PM »
I purchased a gasket scraper from O'Reilly auto parts. It has a handle like a screw driver but a wide base for scraping the gasket. It works decent.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()