Author Topic: rising gas prices  (Read 2428 times)

souzamoto

• View Profile
Re: rising gas prices
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 07:14:52 PM »
Northern California, I paid 4.39 (best price around) this morning but I'm not in a big urban area. At the local Pilot Truck Stop it's 5.09.
In urban areas like the SF Bay Area it's been over 5.00 for a week, approaching 6.00. I heard that in some parts of LA/So Cal it's over 7.00. Here we have the the highest state imposed taxes on fuel in the US I believe. Thanks Gov Newsom you Rat-Bastard.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 07:20:00 PM »
There is also a extremely large supply of natural gas trapped on the ocean floor. In fact I watched a documentary that said  if all the natural gas was released on the ocean floor the world could be consumed by fire.. I guess we can add that to super volcanos,  asteroids,  nuclear wars another source of demise for mankind.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 07:47:07 PM »
A couple of interesting articles I read about the wind turbine blades. They don't have a long lifespan and unable to be recycled. They are disposing of them by burying them in the areas that were strip mining for coal in Wyoming. 

Another fallacy are electric vehicles are clean energy.  Do some research on the disposing of spent batteries that contains heavy metals. Also research where some of these metals are mined and the contamination they create along with the health issues these people experience.

If you truly want clean energy hydrogen is the way to go. The byproduct of burning hydrogen is water.

Not entirely true. Wind turbine blades cannot be broken down into their chemical or base materials very well but they can be recycled in other ways. It is true that the Wyoming photo and story has been circulating everywhere but one story or even a few don't tell the entire truth. There is a new company that started up in Newton, IA and also others in a few other places which specialize in grinding up old wind turbine blades and the pellets to be used in concrete and other materials for structure as well as being recycled in several other ways.

I agree with the rest of what you said.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2022, 12:07:30 AM »
My understanding is that fracking in a technology for extracting oil, natural gas, geothermal energy, or water

As Dennis Miller used to say, that is my opinion, I could be wrong.

Mancashire

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2022, 02:13:09 AM »

Not entirely true. Wind turbine blades cannot be broken down into their chemical or base materials very well but they can be recycled in other ways. It is true that the Wyoming photo and story has been circulating everywhere but one story or even a few don't tell the entire truth. There is a new company that started up in Newton, IA and also others in a few other places which specialize in grinding up old wind turbine blades and the pellets to be used in concrete and other materials for structure as well as being recycled in several other ways.

I agree with the rest of what you said.

Windmill blades are being recycled as you say. They are cut into sections and ground up for concrete filler. They travel on interstate 27 near my house cut up in sections, but going South, away from Newton. I think they already have a facility in Missouri. They do not last forever. Neither does anything else, cars, trucks, roads, power stations, pipelines, container ships, you name it. That is a non issue.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 02:15:54 AM by wymple »

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 08:29:25 AM »

If you truly want clean energy hydrogen is the way to go. The byproduct of burning hydrogen is water.

That was my understanding too KK, but it’s gone awfully quiet on that front. Too many vested interests in the ICE infrastructure- and now maybe battery technologies?…
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 01:21:04 PM »
That was my understanding too KK, but it’s gone awfully quiet on that front. Too many vested interests in the ICE infrastructure- and now maybe battery technologies?…

Hydrogen still requires breaking down water into hydrogen and oxygen using a lot of energy. More energy than you can get out of the hydrogen in your vehicle.
The hydrogen needs to be stored in high pressure tanks both for transport to the fueling point and in the vehicle itself. This adds more expense to an already expensive fuel.
Also hydrogen vehicles still use batteries, so you still have the problems of battery manufacture and disposal that electric cars have, although on a smaller scale.

There is a good video about current state of hydrogen powered vehicles here
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 01:22:38 PM by Wiz »
Current Rides: Can-Am Ryker Rally 900cc, Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »
Interesting, thanks Wiz.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2022, 06:24:02 PM »
compressed air is the way to go,  range similar to electric, but 3 minute fill ups
RandyO
IBA#9560

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2022, 07:52:03 PM »
IMO gas is not more expensive, I even dare to say it's way too cheap compared with our continousely raised imcomes during last, lets say, 30 years. No one is forced to drive a gas-guzzling V6 or V8.
In comparison to a vehicles overall costs is fuel a marginal post.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2022, 09:09:40 PM »
California is the winner! Today's paper says the average price of regular here is $5.15/gallon! I can hardly wait to see what it will be tomorrow.
2009 GV 250

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2022, 09:59:56 PM »
IMO gas is not more expensive, I even dare to say it's way too cheap compared with our continousely raised imcomes during last, lets say, 30 years. No one is forced to drive a gas-guzzling V6 or V8.
In comparison to a vehicles overall costs is fuel a marginal post.

my '02 Silverado with a 5.3V8 gets better mileage than my '05 Tacoma with a 2.7L four banger
(for all practical purposes, they get the same, 20±)
RandyO
IBA#9560

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2022, 04:04:35 PM »
In Helsinki, Finland the regular 95 octane is now from 2.049 € per liter. It was 1.850 before Putin war. My 16 y old Nissan Micra does 5.5 liter per 100 kilometers, means 12€ for gas per 100 km. On motorway more, but more than 90 kmh the noise inside car is just too much :)
Situation gets worse, for everyone.
Update 08.3. from 2.149 €
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:54:06 PM by Like50 »
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2022, 03:38:39 PM »
Less than a week ago I filled up for $3.24 a gallon.  Yesterday just about every gas station was $3.99.  I'm betting they all go over 4 bucks a gallon in the next day or two.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2022, 03:53:07 PM »
March 1 I filled up the AK at $3.23/gal at my favorite station. Yesterday that same station was showing $3.59/gal and all other stations were higher as usual.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()