Author Topic: rising gas prices  (Read 2420 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: rising gas prices
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2022, 05:24:16 PM »
it's funny...if you held a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to tell you what gas costs. I have driven a company car for the past 25 years (gas is paid with card) so never look at prices. I fill up the family car a handful of times each year (as does the wife)...but still never pay attention to the price.  Others I know can tell you to the penny what gas costs..
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2022, 06:27:54 PM »
it's funny...if you held a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to tell you what gas costs. I have driven a company car for the past 25 years (gas is paid with card) so never look at prices. I fill up the family car a handful of times each year (as does the wife)...but still never pay attention to the price.  Others I know can tell you to the penny what gas costs..

I use a company card too, but I own the company

like my dumpster company, I'm gonna hafta add a fuel surcharge to my bills
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2022, 07:28:40 PM »
In Mass there was a Shell station that gave you a free car wash if you bought  $3 of gas.
I had to roll my Beetle in there on fumes to get that wash.
(not that long ago I paid well under a dollar per gal using my grocery gas points.....
$4 here today
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2022, 07:42:19 PM »
In Mass there was a Shell station that gave you a free car wash if you bought  $3 of gas.
(not that long ago I paid well under a dollar per gal using my grocery gas points.....
$4 here today
Stig

I remember sub $3 fill ups with my beetle as well

RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2022, 11:13:46 PM »
$4 here today
Stig

Maybe this season or soon they'll give you a free car if you bought a full tank of gas. May get to costing the same.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2022, 11:57:42 PM »

Maybe this season or soon they'll give you a free car if you bought a full tank of gas. May get to costing the same.
Funny you should mention free cars....
In my city in western Mass there was a Buick dealer who was giving anyone who purchased one of the top-o-the-line Buicks ("Park Avenue?") a free Honda car. One of those little ones they first sold here.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2022, 07:33:39 PM »
I remember when we had to change the gas pumps from gallon to liter measurement because they wouldn’t register price over .99 per gallon. Overtime, the price of most items will rise. We complain here in the US about the price of our gas while it is so very much less costly here than other areas. Yet as one who is living on a fixed income, I find it quite easy to commiserate with those with limited means.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2022, 08:24:32 PM »
I remember when we had to change the gas pumps from gallon to liter measurement because they wouldn’t register price over .99 per gallon. Overtime, the price of most items will rise. We complain here in the US about the price of our gas while it is so very much less costly here than other areas. Yet as one who is living on a fixed income, I find it quite easy to commiserate with those with limited means.

ya, in US the pump price was doubled for a while

I'm retired, so I don't go out every day, but today was a PT day, on the way there, I observed significantly less traffic, it appears that $4/gal is that tipping point that curbs unnecessary travel
RandyO
IBA#9560

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2022, 09:23:55 PM »
    I worked with my dad running a Sunoco station back in the early sixties. We would be changing the prices 1 or 2 times a week because of gas wars among dealers. I remember getting 5 gals of regular for $1.00. Guess them days are long gone!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2022, 09:37:52 PM »
April of 2020 I paid $.37 a gal at a Kroger station. $.92 off per gal with my grocery points.
I considered filling the bed of my Silvertomato 1500....but daughter talked 👄 me out of it.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2022, 10:06:19 PM »
NW Ohio area here, gas is 4.09 per gal and up !! .40 cents in the last week.  If it keeps going, my motorhome might as well stay in storage...  Some experts are saying we will see over 5 and close to 6 a gallon before things slow down.  We shouldnt complain though with wages now at 15 or more per hour....that is what the govt says anyway.  We should not be worrying though, the Pres. feels our pain just ask him........

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2022, 03:02:19 AM »
Filled the tank in my Corolla tonight when the long lines were way down. I get gas at Costco since it's just down the street and usually significantly less cost than other places nearby and they also have Top Tier fuel. They have 3 islands with 2 pumps each, both sides. During the day there is usually a line at every lane of pumps of at least 5-7 vehicles besides the 2 at each side of the islands. But at night or early in the morning there is usually an empty pump to pull up to. It amazes me every time I go and there is one or two empty pumps to pull up to so the pump is on the right of your vehicle, but on the other side there are still 2-3 vehicles waiting in line just because they are waiting for a pump on the same side as the gas filler is on their vehicle. ALL pumps in the entire area near me have hoses that will easily reach to both sides of any vehicle, car-truck-SUV. So I always pull up past everyone else to the empty pump and fill up and am on my way before many of those others even have a pump to pull up to in their line. They'd rather sit there burning and wasting fuel out of laziness or lack of knowledge. I know they are some of the loudest complainers about the cost of gas yet they are the biggest wasters of it. It frustrates me to see such waste. Gas costs plenty much these days and will get worse before it gets better. I'd think people would be smart enough to want to avoid wasting gas sitting on idle when they don't have to. I guess I'm wrong about that.

BTW - On my ride today I saw gas prices for regular on both sides of the metro area at $3.89/gal. Costco had it for $3.59/gal... for now. Tomorrow it may go up.
Premium gas at Costco is $4.19/gal and other places $4.24, $4.29, $4.34 or higher per gallon depending where.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:06:46 AM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2022, 10:44:09 AM »
BP. SUNOCO. SHELL, etc.......$4.09 ...small town,, SW Ohio

No lines of cars....maybe a few at the Kroger pumps.
Last time I saw lines for gas was evening of 9/11. It was crazy.
6 AM next morning 🌄 I was the only car at the pumps!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2022, 11:59:03 AM »
Filled the wife's Ranger Rover this morning with 82 litres of diesel.  £126.20*  Ouch!

*  $165.97 US at today's exchange rate
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »
Filled the wife's Ranger Rover this morning with 82 litres of diesel.  £126.20*  Ouch!
Ok
*  $165.97 US at today's exchange rate
Around $7.50 a gallon?
22 gal is a normal fill up for my Silverado.
Ouch indeed!
Stig
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:08:53 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()