Author Topic: My Kymco Agility 50 won’t start after oil change  (Read 353 times)

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
My Kymco Agility 50 won’t start after oil change
« on: March 21, 2022, 04:59:28 PM »
I just changed the oil in my Agility 50 (used 10w-40 synthetic). Also changed the gear oil (used 80w- 90) and cleaned the air filter.

First, I want to say I don’t really know what I’m doing. I had watched videos teaching me how to do each of those tasks but I may have still done them wrong.

After draining out old oil, I put 750ml of 10w-40 in which was the recommended amount. However it was too full and the Oil nearly spilled out. So I drained some of the oil until it had the right reading on the dipstick.

I also cleaned air filter using brake parts cleaner (I know that’s not what it’s meant for but that was the only clear I had lol) I got impatient and put it on while it wasn’t 100% dry.

Started her up and 30 seconds later she shut off. Haven’t been able to get her started since. She just turns over even when I use starter fluid.

The battery is new, I tested spark plug and it works, I have since cleaned the carburetor and tried changing the oil again. I’m running out of ideas of what the issue could be. Any help?

stuo

• View Profile
Re: My Kymco Agility 50 won’t start after oil change
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 10:09:08 PM »
Changing the oil has no effect on the bike starting, which involves air and gasoline mixing in the carburetor...and the spark at the plug.

I am suspicious of the air filter. Try removing it from the bike and see if it starts without it. If so, you have ruined, clogged it and messed up the air/fuel ratio by using carb cleaner on the filter. If it's a paper filter replace it and only use compressed air to clean it in the future...or buy a new one each time.

You also may have flooded the bike. Let it sit for a couple hours then see if it starts but with no help from starter fluid.
2009 GV 250

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 10:50:46 PM »
That's what I was thinking. Brake parts cleaner was NOT the right stuff to use. Best to just stick with low pressure compressed air to blow it out or replace it altogether each time.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Andy_myguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 11:35:20 PM »
It was was just flooded. I cranked it for a good 20 seconds without adding gas and it fired right up. I feel dumb that it was that simple but at least it wasn’t something serious. Thanks for the help!

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 07:29:32 PM »
Thanks for letting us know the answer. Unless the directions for the air filter requires cleaning with a solvent, which some oil-bath air filters require, don't do it again. Spend the money for a new filter each time replacement is due...or GENTLY blow air through it in the opposite direction of the air flow.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()