Author Topic: What did you do with your Kymco scooter today?  (Read 5233 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with your Kymco scooter today?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2022, 10:08:13 PM »
Today I packed the AK 550 for my trip to Wisconsin Riverside Resort in Spring Green, WI. Wanting to leave by 7:30 am to beat the chances of rain when I get there. I changed how I packed the dry bags on since now I have the luggage rack installed. That white smaller dry bag is sitting on the last 6 inches of the luggage rack plate so it's not going anywhere. The long blue dry bag is longer than the one on the other side so that made a nice place for the white bag. The stack is lower by the thickness of the long blue dry bag so not nearly as tall as my last trip. I combined the smaller tent and tarp dry bags into one to do this. I also relocated the white dry bag with my rain suit and extra riding gear (gloves and liners) and water to the rear instead of in the step over tunnel. I wanted to regain the ability to step over to save my hips when climbing back on the AK after refueling. That also makes it easier to refuel since I don't have a bag to move first. I like having that space open. I've considered getting a tunnel bag but thinking if I really need one I'll just stick with a small dry bag for now, and then only if I really have to put it in the tunnel. So for now I won't be getting any step through tunnel bag. I have an extra 20 L white dry bag folded in under the big yellow one just for having an extra. It folds small so why not.
BTW- for comparison the windshield is in the lowest position and I can easily look well over it as I very much prefer. Those bags still make a really nice back rest for longer trips.   ;D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SrLUfBB26xzh6sqs9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bcx53PGmyfySD6UB9
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2022, 12:11:27 AM »
That looks like a great backrest. Enjoy your trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2022, 12:32:51 AM »
Is the Resort a campground? and all that is for camping?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2022, 01:04:14 AM »
Is the Resort a campground? and all that is for camping?
Stig

Yes, the resort is a camp ground. And all that is for camping, cooking, keeping the blood suckers away (Wisconsin state "bird"). It looks like more than it is.
That long blue dry bag holds my self inflating sleeping pad (76" x 25" x 2.5") and self inflating pillow (the secret to successfully use these is to partially DEflate before closing the valve), and my sleeping bag liner. The gray bag holds my tent and tarp and all poles and stakes for those as well as my MSR fuel bottle. The yellow bag holds everything that goes inside the tent (clothes, sleeping bag, casual and shower shoes, etc.) and the camp chair and insect repellent and sunscreen. Cooking gear and tools are under the seat. The white dry bag holds the rain suit, extra gloves, inner jacket liner that doubles as a wind breaker around the camp site, mini compressor and tire plug kit, first aid kit, 2 water bottles.

I used to pull a pop up camper with my motorcycle several years ago. Now THAT was more than just camping. I don't believe in bringing half the house with me when I camp but I do believe in bringing what I need. Most of what I pack now will fit in a backpack for backpacking selected for size but not for being necessarily lightweight since the bike is carrying it.

Here is how I packed when I pulled the camper. The saddlebags and top case were half empty and only had enough to keep them from bouncing much.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2022, 01:10:06 AM »
And this is that camper set up along with the tarp that I still use over my tent.
/bob

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2022, 08:02:26 AM »
Serious Adventure rider stuff! Post in Battle scooters on ADV.com!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2022, 11:43:25 AM »
Serious Adventure rider stuff! Post in Battle scooters on ADV.com!

Not really adventure rider level just yet but I do post over there as well as on the ST-Owners forum and BurgmanUSA.com.
/bob

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2022, 07:37:47 AM »
My grandson has his Iowa motorcycle permit (age 14 requirement here) and I and the other boys have been taking him on some jaunts. Usually 100 to 125 miles at a time. He has a very low miles Honda 250 Rebel that I pretty much stole for a song.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2022, 06:48:31 PM »
Wow, that pack job looks great, hope you have a good trip to WI, I will be in IOWA in two weeks for 4th of July at Clear Lake.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2022, 07:49:27 PM »
Wow, that pack job looks great, hope you have a good trip to WI, I will be in IOWA in two weeks for 4th of July at Clear Lake.

Yes I did have a good trip. Details in another thread on this forum... in the Roadcraft sub forum. With a link to many more photos of the trip.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2022, 02:51:48 AM »
Just went out to fill the tank after my trip to LOCSTOC (mc/camping event). The gas station is 1.2 miles away and ended up with about 26 miles today. Since Costco Gas has LONG lines at all the pumps during the day I went at 8:40 pm (they close at 9) and they had a few open pumps when I got there. So just a short twilight ride after filling the tank. Calculated that the AK got 53.6 mpg average for the entire trip (LOCSTOC). That included a low of 49 mpg with a wicked head wind the entire tank during the first leg going out, and a high of 56 mpg with only a side wind coming home.
/bob

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
Just went out to fill the tank after my trip to LOCSTOC (mc/camping event). The gas station is 1.2 miles away and ended up with about 26 miles today. Since Costco Gas has LONG lines at all the pumps during the day I went at 8:40 pm (they close at 9) and they had a few open pumps when I got there. So just a short twilight ride after filling the tank. Calculated that the AK got 53.6 mpg average for the entire trip (LOCSTOC). That included a low of 49 mpg with a wicked head wind the entire tank during the first leg going out, and a high of 56 mpg with only a side wind coming home.
What causes long lines at Costco?
I haven't seen long lines since night of 9/11.

Syig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2022, 02:51:08 PM »
What causes long lines at Costco?
I haven't seen long lines since night of 9/11.

Syig

With prices everywhere else at least $4.80/gal for regular gas (even just across the street) Costco gets the lines with $4.40/gal regular gas. Premium is also similarly lower priced. So every Costco member in the county lines up to fill up. They have 3 islands with 2 pumps on each side of each island... so 6 lanes with 2 pumps each. Sometimes there are vehicles at every pump and another 6 cars waiting to pull up and sometimes it is even more with the lane that bypasses the entry to the pumps clogged with vehicles. This happens all the time during the mid day. And it doesn't matter what side of the vehicle the gas filler is located. You'd think people from the entire state are coming in for gas all day. Even at 8:40 pm (closes at 9) there were only 3 pumps open. This has been going on for several years now.

Costco is the only station in the area where this is happening. I can go to any other gas station and pull right up to an available pump without waiting but not at Costco unless I go right when they open or just before they close.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:56:24 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2022, 12:23:01 AM »
today I reinstalled my motor that has been out since Feb. It took about 5+ hours in a 90 degree garage to get the motor in place, all electric connections cleaned, carb pulled and cleaned, reinstalled, vacuum lines hooked up, swingarm installed (and rubber shock bushing pushed out and a new one installed (old one, like all the other rubber hanger bushings on my scoot was worn and the rubber was torn), exhaust, body panels, fender, rack and seat installed. Remaining old fuel siphoned out and new fuel put in, new oil put in, battery charged up...key inserted and BOOM...she fired up (after a little cranking to get fuel to the carb).

Came inside for dinner with plans for an after dinner shake down ride...but the skies opened up with rain...so maybe first ride will be in the morning. But she runs!!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2022, 12:47:12 PM »
Went on an early morning jaunt to Wales and back clocking up 159 miles and returning home at 06:20 hrs!  It was great, I must do it more often!

Liked the moon bathed in orange light.  (OK I know it's dust in the Earth's atmosphere!)  That last one could almost be a Picasso?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 12:53:05 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()