Author Topic: So who's riding this winter?  (Read 5551 times)

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
So who's riding this winter?
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »
I definitely plan on riding this winter as long as there's no snow or ice out on the road.  I got these bulky olympia gloves that are insulated with primaloft (more flexible and compressible than down) that kept my hands extremely warm down to 40 degrees so far.  I'm confident they'll keep my hands toasty down to 20-30.  Only thing is that they're pretty bulky and clutch control is a bit of a pain. 

axy

• View Profile
Re: So who's riding this winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
I definitely plan on riding this winter as long as there's no snow or ice out on the road.  I got these bulky olympia gloves that are insulated with primaloft (more flexible and compressible than down) that kept my hands extremely warm down to 40 degrees so far.  I'm confident they'll keep my hands toasty down to 20-30.  Only thing is that they're pretty bulky and clutch control is a bit of a pain. 

I bought a new car last winter and have a dedicated parking space at work, but still scoot to work around the year except on Thursdays when I do the shopping.
It is a 13 km trip (one way, 26 km round trip...)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »
No cold weather riding for me. I've had the scoot winterized and parked since the middle of October. When I was young and foolish,  the coldest I rode was 32 degrees F. Skidded on ice that year too.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:00:57 AM »
We've had a couple of warm days for November here...

WT100

• 100 countries or bust, 74 so far.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:16 AM »
I ride down to the low 20s.  I'll run a bit of stabilizer in the fuel but at most the scoot will only sit for a week or so.  

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »
as long as I see the road I well ride. if I dont ride it much I well keep the battery in it and start in up and let it run a little weekly.

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:59:10 AM »
I ride to work (12 miles one way) until it hits about 20 degree Fahrenheit. I'll keep riding around the neighborhood (up to about 5 miles or less) no matter what temperature. I will TRY to wait for any ice to melt, but I've been known to go out after a snow storm in the day time. I'm a little chicken to ride with "black" ice on the ground at night.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »
I am -11 C (12 F) certified, but that`s just because it does not get colder than that where I live.  ;D
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
When I was a boy, we had temperatures of -25°C to -30°C nearly every winter. 5km with bicycle to school.
When I was a young man, we had only temperatures of -15°C to -20°C. Record: -18°C with Piaggio Quartz 50cc to the office, 60km (!) one way. Global warming.
When I became old and a softy, I moved to the warmest area in Germany. Last year record -11°C and only 10km to office.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »
Reached freezing 3 times at night here in south Georgia USA.  I admit I used the car a couple of days.  Don't know if I'll ride much more.  This will be the first winter I'll go through with a bike for 32 years -- back then I lived in south central Florida where it drops to freezing a few times each winter.

I found a really nice jacket for riding at Sears last month.  It's like a highway construction worker's jacket -- BRIGHT YELLOW with black accents with reflective strips sewn in.  Has a snap in/out liner, wrists have velcro tighteners.  It's the warmest thing I've ever had!  Was on sale at half price too!

I'd suggest anyone who is looking go check them out. 

By the way, it's waterproof too.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
When I was a boy, we had temperatures of -25°C to -30°C nearly every winter. 5km with bicycle to school.
When I was a young man, we had only temperatures of -15°C to -20°C. Record: -18°C with Piaggio Quartz 50cc to the office, 60km (!) one way. Global warming.
When I became old and a softy, I moved to the warmest area in Germany. Last year record -11°C and only 10km to office.

Suedpfalz?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 06:36:59 PM »
Yes, southern Palatinate (=Pfalz) and Baden. The upper Rhine valley north of Switzerland.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »
Yes, southern Palatinate (=Pfalz) and Baden. The upper Rhine valley north of Switzerland.

;D ;)

---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 02:27:09 AM »
Reached freezing 3 times at night here in south Georgia USA.  I admit I used the car a couple of days.  Don't know if I'll ride much more.  This will be the first winter I'll go through with a bike for 32 years -- back then I lived in south central Florida where it drops to freezing a few times each winter.

I found a really nice jacket for riding at Sears last month.  It's like a highway construction worker's jacket -- BRIGHT YELLOW with black accents with reflective strips sewn in.  Has a snap in/out liner, wrists have velcro tighteners.  It's the warmest thing I've ever had!  Was on sale at half price too!

I'd suggest anyone who is looking go check them out. 

By the way, it's waterproof too.

That sounds like a great jacket, Hoolander! I don't care much for the cold so I don't know if I'll ride much or not. Maybe I'll have to move to Florida so I can ride without worrying about it. This will be my first winter with a bike ever. :D

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »
That sounds like a great jacket, Hoolander! I don't care much for the cold so I don't know if I'll ride much or not. Maybe I'll have to move to Florida so I can ride without worrying about it. This will be my first winter with a bike ever. :D

You're gonna need some GOOD WARM clothing and outerwear or else you'll HATE riding in the cold!  Without it you get so cold you just want to pull off the road and assume fetal position -- but you CAN'T cause you gotta get home! Fingers so numb they're usless -- it's scary.  Even in Florida where I lived when I was young I got freezing cold riding! I was young and foolish of course and often didn't bother to bundle up properly -- just wanted to ride ride ride in those days. . .  ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()