Author Topic: So who's riding this winter?  (Read 5545 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: So who's riding this winter?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »
"just wanted to ride ride ride in those days. . ."

But those were the good old days, right? :D

I'm not prepared for winter riding. My shopping list just keeps getting longer and longer.

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 03:34:45 AM »
They should make heated seats to keep the ass warm. 

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 03:37:10 AM »
They should make heated seats to keep the ass warm.

Going into my third winter of daily riding, I can assure you that's not the part you have to worry about keeping warm.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 03:43:07 AM »
They made them for cars, though, so somebody will likely make one for scoots one day.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 03:44:35 AM »
All you need is the 12v socket and a heating pad to sit on.

Just hope it doesn't rain...

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 03:53:10 AM »
Yeah, then there's those heating pad thingies you warm up in the microwave and they stay warm for like 30 minutes.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »
They made them for cars, though, so somebody will likely make one for scoots one day.

It already exists, from el cheapo Chinese for 30-40 US$ to top of the range products.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »
"Clutch Hand"?  What are you riding over there in New York?
You are brave for riding there in winter.
I have ridden in the twenties and it is doable with big gloves.  Your control is compromised with the big gloves, but they are necessary.
I have tried grip warmers and they heat my palm well, but do nothing for the real problem of frozen finger tips.  I was tempted to add motocross style grip guards to block the wind.
Keeping your hands warm and helmet shield clear are the biggest problems that I have found to cold weather riding.
I use a Hyper Optics shield insert, which has been the most effective at controlling fogging.  I also have an insert at the helmet chin to block upward air.
A full face helmet is a must.
Black ice is a bitch back there, so be careful.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 08:31:21 PM »
I try to ride year-round but it's not that cold here.  I wear an Olympia MotoSport riding coat (Voyager, similar to the AST) and FirstGear Overpants HT 2.0, good gloves and boots and I am good until the upper twenties if i use the liners for the jacket and the pants. Mitts or Muffs for the handlebars are cost effective ($20-50 USD) ways to keep the wind and rain off your hands and allow you to use summer gloves year round.

These ones are $32.95 but there are others out there for less

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 11:36:14 PM »
I try to ride year-round but it's not that cold here.  I wear an Olympia MotoSport riding coat (Voyager, similar to the AST) and FirstGear Overpants HT 2.0, good gloves and boots and I am good until the upper twenties if i use the liners for the jacket and the pants. Mitts or Muffs for the handlebars are cost effective ($20-50 USD) ways to keep the wind and rain off your hands and allow you to use summer gloves year round.

These ones are $32.95 but there are others out there for less

When i was a kid, there was a hot new movie called "The day after" about effects of nuclear fallout.
With these things, you would be good to go even under these conditions.  ;D :D ;)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:08 AM »
lol Ill just get oven mets and put on the scoot.

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 01:44:14 AM »
"Clutch Hand"?  What are you riding over there in New York?
You are brave for riding there in winter.
I have ridden in the twenties and it is doable with big gloves.  Your control is compromised with the big gloves, but they are necessary.
I have tried grip warmers and they heat my palm well, but do nothing for the real problem of frozen finger tips.  I was tempted to add motocross style grip guards to block the wind.
Keeping your hands warm and helmet shield clear are the biggest problems that I have found to cold weather riding.
I use a Hyper Optics shield insert, which has been the most effective at controlling fogging.  I also have an insert at the helmet chin to block upward air.
A full face helmet is a must.
Black ice is a bitch back there, so be careful.

Currently using my Suzuki Savage LS650 as my daily commuter.  I had a People 150 that i was using but i sold it recently.  Plan to upgrade to something a little bigger.  Might pickup a Downtown 300i in the spring, also considering a used suzuki burgman.  Having a fascination with maxi scooters at the moment. 

I'll have to check out that hyper optics stuff.  My helmet gets foggy when im at a stop light. 

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 04:41:59 AM »
It doesn't get all that cold here, down in the 20's a couple of times last winter, which I rode through. It's the rain that I don't like...
I got caught in the stuff that just went up the east coast this afternoon. It was just enough to soak my pants. As luck would have it, my rain gear was on the dining room table.
Rick

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()