Author Topic: Replenished the USS Silverado & Owner's Report  (Read 1297 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Replenished the USS Silverado today.....
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 11:40:02 PM »
Dunno Stig, we consistently get 32-35 mpg out of the wife’s Range Rover?  Mind you we’re paying £1.89 per litre of diesel…
I was never smart enough to convert litres to dollars with any accuracy.
Heck they've even started shrinking my ice cream tubs.
So, I  just gave up.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 12:27:13 AM »
So, I  just gave up.
Stig

we got one local brand that still sells real half gallons
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2022, 12:38:49 AM »
we got one local brand that still sells real half gallons
Publix in Florida does too....but can't bring it back on the plane.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 07:40:10 AM »
So, I  just gave up.
Stig

About 26USmpg at it's worst.

About $2.20 per litre

So about $9.98 per US gallon here in the UK.

It blows my mind that you accept vehicles that get less than 25USmpg over there in the states. Over here anything that's not getting 30USmpg is considered pretty thirsty and are rare.

Most wagons here are capable of 40USmpg
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 07:43:00 AM »
About 26USmpg at it's worst.

About $2.20 per litre

So about $9.98 per US gallon here in the UK.

It blows my mind that you accept vehicles that get less than 25USmpg over there in the states. Over here anything that's not getting 30USmpg is considered pretty thirsty and are rare.

Most wagons here are capable of 40USmpg

Thanks for doing all the maths there Viper! I had a case of the CBAs there 🤣
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 11:32:45 AM »
A couple of months ago I put $100 of gas into my Avalanche.  Prices have come down since then.  I got gas a couple of days ago for $3.35/Gal.  My Avalanche mostly sits in the driveway as my scooters are my main mode of transportation. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 02:17:54 PM »

It is simple = Americans buy vehicles like the Expedtion.....and the Avalanche....because we have to ford streams and climb logging trails to get to the Dollar Store. Only a small % of this country is settled.....or paved.

(in my defense....my Silverado was a gift from my wife's father when he heard I was selling my Jetta to work commute on my LIKE200i. First this kind fellow offered it for the very fair price of $10,000. I begged off. Then $7,000. Months later it was "$5,000".  "No, but thank you!...I'm fine with my scooter." A few mos later I rode home and parked the scooter, came in - wife handed me the title for the truck. At that point - it would have been rude to refuse to take it...though I did put it in my wife's name. MIL does not drive - in his passing last summer - he willed their Equinox to my daughter. I just have to put a battery in it.)

Stig
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:19:33 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2022, 03:02:41 PM »
It is simple = Americans buy vehicles like the Expedtion.....and the Avalanche....because we have to ford streams and climb logging trails to get to the Dollar Store. Only a small % of this country is settled.....or paved.

(in my defense....my Silverado was a gift from my wife's father when he heard I was selling my Jetta to work commute on my LIKE200i. First this kind fellow offered it for the very fair price of $10,000. I begged off. Then $7,000. Months later it was "$5,000".  "No, but thank you!...I'm fine with my scooter." A few mos later I rode home and parked the scooter, came in - wife handed me the title for the truck. At that point - it would have been rude to refuse to take it...though I did put it in my wife's name. MIL does not drive - in his passing last summer - he willed their Equinox to my daughter. I just have to put a battery in it.)

Stig

I bought my Avalanche over 20 years ago because I needed a truck.  Occasionally I still need a truck.  I'll probably keep it another 10 years or so.  I don't drive it enough to justify buying a smaller, more fuel efficient truck.  I average around 17MPG but as much as 20 on highway trips.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2022, 03:08:22 PM »
I only own a Silverado cause I burn firewood, and need something to haul it. I have a Tacoma, cause my Silverado is old, and needed bodywork, so it would be in the shop more than a day, The Tacoma, is simply backup for the Silverado.

If I didn't need hauling capability, I'd probably have a car, most likely a 3 series Bimmer, they are fun to drive.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2022, 07:23:21 PM »
So in US money I get 70 mpg out of my X-Town and 26 round town in the wife’s Range Rover. Which is OK because we rarely us the RR round town, it’s mainly for our longer trips to Yorkshire these days.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2022, 08:15:32 AM »

Stig

Yup, we have those parts of the country too, and those types of vehicles, just kitted out with very different motors.

Cultural, I guess!

I have had a look at Silverados on t'internet - handsome looking thing - I strongly suspect they're banned from import here on the grounds of pedestrian safety with that big flat nose.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2022, 08:32:53 AM »

I have had a look at Silverados on t'internet - handsome looking thing - I strongly suspect they're banned from import here on the grounds of pedestrian safety with that big flat nose.

Just done the same Viper and must say I like the look of the Silverado. Then I’ve been a sucker for a pickup ever since I drove one from NJ to Atlantic City (to see Fleetwood Mac) and back!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Replenished the USS Silverado & Owner's Report
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2022, 05:40:34 PM »
SILVERADO 1500 report:
First of all - I'm kinda the Old Gun Slinger on the road with this baby. Everybody else is driving those silly yuppie pick ups made for 4, 5, or 6' sheets of plywood and 2X4's! I'm embarrassed for them.....

I've had this 16 yr old truck since my FIL gave it to me about 8 yrs ago.
It has @60,000 miles on it. He bought it new, with color matched SWISS bed cap over the 8' bed.
The bed is fully covered by a heavy black nylon-like liner. The cap has tinted windows, and a lockable rear window.
I'm presently getting @16mpg. The interior is as I would have ordered it ! - with manual roll-up windows, black rubber floor covering, fabric covered bench seat nicely formed for two - 3 in a pinch. (with seat belts) Front airbags only. Still very cold A/C!, and a very good heater.
Powerful 4-speaker AM/FM radio. Cig lighter and tray. DRL's. Noisy Truck tires - not 'highway' treads - all around.
Replaced heater blower relay once.
It gets regular oil changes at National Pit Stop q/2 or 3000 miles.

One dash accessory light has burned out - but I'm not pulling the dash!
I get a yellow engine emblem lit from time to time. FIL said to ignore it - he paid to have it fixed - it came back on . Dealer said ignore it. I ignore it.

My late brother (car dealer business for decades) said trucks in Ohio are like Range Rovers in L.A. - top dollar paid for them!
No plans to ever sell it.
I do use it's full 8' bed to haul tree and shrub trimmings to the free recycle site. Send my daughter crawling in there to blow it out with the leaf blower. (yeah I put ear plugs on her)

It seems to be a sloid truck. I drove a fire engine red Silverado 1500 crew-cab with an 8' bed for the county for nearly 30 yrs. That baby had the turning radius of the Queen Marry. It never broke either.

Stig

As for hitting pedestrians - in 38 yrs of driving Silverados - I haven't scored a one, yet. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:45:20 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2022, 09:01:42 AM »
Like it Stig! I’d hang onto it too.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2022, 03:23:17 PM »
the nice thing about a Silverado, you can get parts, any part. My mechanic told be to keep mine roadworthy as long as I can,  newer generations are not as reliable
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()