Author Topic: 350i oil service  (Read 1641 times)

Sosk

• View Profile
350i oil service
« on: April 17, 2022, 02:53:31 PM »
Hey everyone i'm new in this forum it's nice to meet everyone.

So i have a Kymco downtown 350i/tcs and I wanted to ask about how often I should change oil, I know it's every 5000km, but since I live in Egypt a lot of people saying that because of the environment, dust ..etc I should change the oil every 2000km-2500km, which I don't really find convincing simply because almost everywhere else around the world there's dust (I know it's not as much as here, but still...) and the scooter itself has an oil filter afaik, so I would like to hear the opinion of someone who's experienced in this.

Should I change oil every 2500km or 5000km or somewhere in between?

FYI: I'm using liqui moli 5w-40 4t synth

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: 350i oil service
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »
It's that "not as much" thing that is the trick. Because dust is everywhere to some extent that is why there is that air filter and it is just a little bit of the reason for an oil filter and requirement to change the oil. Naturally the biggest reason for changing the oil is that it breaks down with time and use, but dust getting into the engine is a little bit of that.
The higher dust environment you have will clog the filter and foul the oil faster than in other places that have less dust. Same for the air filter. I would check the oil when you drain it and the air filter at your next change to see what they look like. Is there a lot of dust in the air filter? Then change it a little more often. Does the oil look old or grayed rather than black? Then change that a little more often. Maybe not at half the interval, but sooner than the service schedule requires. All vehicles I have say in the manuals to change oil and air filters more often when operating in dusty conditions. How much more often is not really defined.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 03:10:47 PM »
Hello,
Welcome to the forum!

How long do you plan to keep this scooter?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Sosk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 03:28:20 PM »
@rjs987

I do understand what you're saying fully well, that's why i was planning on 3000km in summer and 4000km or more in winter, but half the interval just sounded ridiculous to me

Edit: also thank you for suggesting that i should check the oil/filters on my next maintenance, very good advice.

@Stig / Major Tom

Hello and thank you, well for as long as I can, I do about ~50km a day, so maybe when i hit the 20,000-30,000km mark I might think about selling it, so probably 2-3 years from now just for a change, or maybe buy the new version of the same scoot since I'm happy with it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 03:30:00 PM by Sosk »

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 04:28:51 PM »
I look at it this way, do I want to gamble the cost of the scooter tovthe cost of an oil change?  I use full synthetic oil and still change it often, the cost of an oil change is much less than having a break down and be without my machine for a period of time and the inconvience of repairs. My toys normally last a long time and I have very few issues or repairs, but I do spend the money and effort to maintain my all my stuff.  It is all a gamble...which way do you want to bet??

Sosk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 05:11:26 PM »
I look at it this way, do I want to gamble the cost of the scooter tovthe cost of an oil change?

You have a point, but I don't think it's a gamble for me anymore when I'm paying literally double since I'll be doing maintenance at half interval. But I get what you mean.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 05:35:39 PM »
a lot of people are saying .. ... but I don't find that very convincing.....

OK

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 06:05:03 PM »
Changing oil more frequently than recommended hurts only your pocket book.  Changing oil less frequently than recommend may hurt your pocket book big time!
Like 150i ABS

Sosk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 07:42:41 PM »
a lot of people are saying .. ... but I don't find that very convincing.....

OK

Stig

I don't quite understand what you're trying to do here, I literally came here asking for advice.

Sosk...

Sosk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 07:45:56 PM »
Alright I think I got my answer guys, the more frequent the better, thanks for everyone who actually tried to help.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 08:20:29 PM »
How about using much cheaper non-synthetic oil and change it more often?

What I don't understand is how dust in the air can possibly get into the crankcase oil. I'd be more concerned with changing the air filter more often.
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 11:19:25 PM »
I don't quite understand what you're trying to do here, I literally came here asking for advice.

Sosk...
I think that Stig/Major Tom is saying is he doubts the accuracy of "what everyone is saying." He (Stig) is really a good guy and I think he has everyone's best interests at heart.

Most everything in the old days recommended increased overall mantenance in dusty conditions especially hot, desert environments. I think these machines are pretty well sealed up and only two entrances are air filter and when the cam cover is off for valve adjust/clearance check.

I think there are environment cautions in the operator's manual....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 05:12:58 PM »
How about using much cheaper non-synthetic oil and change it more often?

What I don't understand is how dust in the air can possibly get into the crankcase oil. I'd be more concerned with changing the air filter more often.

it's not that dust gets IN the crankcase, its that it gets ON the crankcase, = less efficient cooling = hotter oil temps = breaks down faster and in the air filter slightly enriching the fuel mixture due to being more clogged and more fuel contamination past the rings (or changing air filter more often = more the finest particles in the air stream

in the end everything adds up, oil gets contaminated quicker
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 06:07:32 PM »
"I think there are environment cautions in the operator's manual...."

Exactly!
I think this is mentioned in the manuals of most vehicles.
"Extreme conditions..."
And if other Egyptians are saying to increase oil changes..........but then,  it's your engine and your !

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 07:58:27 AM »
As one of the very few actual DT350 owners on this forum, follow the manual.

It's every 5000km or earlier with the correct oil weight for the temperature. The manual shows you what oil weight is suitable depending on the temp. 5W-50, 10W-50, 15W-50 and 20W-50 are  suitable for temps 40C and above. 5W-50 covers all temps.

I also recommend cleaning/washing the CVT intake filter more often than 5000km otherwise it can overheat due to dust clogging. It's low to the ground so it gets dirtier than it should.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 08:10:19 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()