Author Topic: very disappointed in my online parts order - final, final update  (Read 1259 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
as I've posted before, I tore down my S200 motor to look for any indication of my problems (rough running and metal flakes in oil). Nothing found, looks perfect inside. This was Feb 2. I placed a full order for all the gaskets and o rings needed to reassemble from Solano Cycle in FL.

I received an email reply about 8 days later (after I'd emailed them asking about my order) stating their order was in and they would get mine out quickly. I followed up a few weeks later asking about my order. They told me they would look into it and call me back with info. Nothing.

A few weeks later I received a text message from them asking for my VIN to help finish up my order. I texted back a pic of my VIN.
Crickets. I texted the same number back a week later. Nothing.

I called them on Friday morning, again asking about my order. The parts person (same one I'd spoken with before) said he'd have to look into my order and call me back. I'm not holding my breath.

Lesson learned. My local dealer has everything I order within a week or 2. I was lazy and did this one online.

I'm a very laid back, low key person. Until I'm not.  Solano Cycle is not impressing me with....anything.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 05:53:44 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: very disappointed in my online parts order
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 02:05:41 PM »
as I've posted before, I tore down my S200 motor to look for any indication of my problems (rough running and metal flakes in oil). Nothing found, looks perfect inside. This was Feb 2. I placed a full order for all the gaskets and o rings needed to reassemble from Solano Cycle in FL.

I received an email reply about 8 days later (after I'd emailed them asking about my order) stating their order was in and they would get mine out quickly. I followed up a few weeks later asking about my order. They told me they would look into it and call me back with info. Nothing.

A few weeks later I received a text message from them asking for my VIN to help finish up my order. I texted back a pic of my VIN.
Crickets. I texted the same number back a week later. Nothing.

I called them on Friday morning, again asking about my order. The parts person (same one I'd spoken with before) said he'd have to look into my order and call me back. I'm not holding my breath.

Lesson learned. My local dealer has everything I order within a week or 2. I was lazy and did this one online.

I'm a very laid back, low key person. Until I'm not.  Solano Cycle is not impressing me with....anything.
A-ha! I knew it! Do your local dealer contact info again so we have a RELIABLE source. Thank you for this update. You have been the picture in the dictionary next to PATIENCE!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 03:12:08 PM »
Iahawk's local dealer is the same dealer I've been to for Kymco stuff. They are good.
They are where I took my AK for warranty repair of the heated grips system. They fixed it within a few weeks.

They are:
https://www.sunandfunmotorsports.com/
That link has all the information for contact you need.

I've thought about where I would order parts from when I need to do that for my AK 550 and I'll likely be making it a road trip to pickup the parts from this place even though they are 125 miles from me. They are just across town for Iahawk.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 03:15:17 PM »
Sun & Fun is also my dealer. No complaints on their work or service, but their luck at finding me a fuel pump was less than impressive. They had to back order it and never at any time had a clue as to where it was at or how long it would be. I put that on Kymco, not Sun & Fun. It took over 2 months.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 04:01:43 PM »
Sun & Fun is also my dealer. No complaints on their work or service, but their luck at finding me a fuel pump was less than impressive. They had to back order it and never at any time had a clue as to where it was at or how long it would be. I put that on Kymco, not Sun & Fun. It took over 2 months.
You bet it is on Kymco USA! No new news about Monster Mandy CEO of Kymco USA but stories like yours indicate continuing chaos. Not likely fixed anytime soon....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 06:34:31 PM »
well...2 1/2 months later and I'm now on hold with them for 45 minutes as of now...they said they thought they had most of my parts in, maybe all of them...and can they check and call me back later? I said NO...I've been waiting 2 1/2 months and I'll wait to hear  because they've twice before said they'd check on my order and call me back..and they never did.

So it's either "yes, we have your parts and will ship them out"...or I will cancel my order and politely tell them where they can stick the parts.

I emailed the owner, Martin Solano, from the contact info on their web site...and politely explained the poor customer service I'd received. I said I manage a group of people in my company and I would certainly want to know if my customers were receiving poor service.

This is really so bad it's laughable. Never again, Solano Cycle...never again.

edit - after about 55 minutes a woman got on, was very nice, and PROMISED to call me back today after checking on my order. I told her I either wanted to know if it was in and would ship or I would cancel my order. She apologized, saying they were understaffed and were trying their best. It told her twice before I was PROMISED a call back and it never happened. I'll update later...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 06:46:10 PM by Iahawk »
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 08:37:27 PM »
well...2 1/2 months later and I'm now on hold with them for 45 minutes as of now...they said they thought they had most of my parts in, maybe all of them...and can they check and call me back later? I said NO...I've been waiting 2 1/2 months and I'll wait to hear  because they've twice before said they'd check on my order and call me back..and they never did.

So it's either "yes, we have your parts and will ship them out"...or I will cancel my order and politely tell them where they can stick the parts.

I emailed the owner, Martin Solano, from the contact info on their web site...and politely explained the poor customer service I'd received. I said I manage a group of people in my company and I would certainly want to know if my customers were receiving poor service.

This is really so bad it's laughable. Never again, Solano Cycle...never again.

edit - after about 55 minutes a woman got on, was very nice, and PROMISED to call me back today after checking on my order. I told her I either wanted to know if it was in and would ship or I would cancel my order. She apologized, saying they were understaffed and were trying their best. It told her twice before I was PROMISED a call back and it never happened. I'll update later...
I am NOT holding my breath.....nope. Not gonna.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 09:39:09 PM »
I am NOT holding my breath.....nope. Not gonna.

Karl, you are a wise man....it's 4:37 PM CST, and 5:37 EST in Orange Park, FL at our friendly,  local Solano's. Website says they're open until 6:00 EST so I'm pretty sure I'll get that phone call I was promised in the next 23 mins (sarcastic eye roll).

and......time has expired.....it's 6:03, their time...which means they're closed... and the promise to call me back didn't happen.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:06:14 PM by Iahawk »
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 12:11:55 AM »
Karl, you are a wise man....it's 4:37 PM CST, and 5:37 EST in Orange Park, FL at our friendly,  local Solano's. Website says they're open until 6:00 EST so I'm pretty sure I'll get that phone call I was promised in the next 23 mins (sarcastic eye roll).

and......time has expired.....it's 6:03, their time...which means they're closed... and the promise to call me back didn't happen.
Why, thank you ver' much! (said with Elvis' inflection)...I am really disappointed to hear this...no, REALLY! That just means they told you that to get you off their phone. OR they haveva whole raft of people they have to make excuses.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 02:47:41 AM »
I don't know. I know customer service goes right in the toilet when places are overworked and they're understaffed at the same time
Unfortunately, too often these last few years Kymco USA has made both owners and interested customers jump through hoops.
If they finally go underwater it will be a shame - they make a good scooter at a good price.

Still plenty of good motorcycles and a few nice scooters from solid companies, like Honda and especially Yamaha.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 09:54:39 AM »
I don't know. I know customer service goes right in the toilet when places are overworked and they're understaffed at the same time
Unfortunately, too often these last few years Kymco USA has made both owners and interested customers jump through hoops.
If they finally go underwater it will be a shame - they make a good scooter at a good price.

Still plenty of good motorcycles and a few nice scooters from solid companies, like Honda and especially Yamaha.
Stig

Do we think this is just KymcoUSA? My (admittedly minimal) dealings with KymcoUK have been all good and my dealer has never expressed any issues with them either.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2022, 01:58:33 PM »
Neil - I would agree that the Kymco Corporate problem (which is different than my terrible dealer experience with this particular dealer in Florida) is more of a USA thing. We are a small scooter market compared to most. Heck, I bet more Kymco scooters are sold in the UK than in the USA.

None of this diminishes or excuses the terrible service I've received from this dealer. Had I not emailed once, texted once and called 3 times I'm certain I would have heard NOTHING up to this point and quite likely may have never received my order or any communication regarding it.

I'll update if I receive a return email from the owner, Martin Solano, but again, not holding my breath.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 09:38:09 PM »

Heck, I bet more Kymco scooters are sold in the UK than in the USA.

You just know I’ll have to research this dontcha Hawk?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 05:18:57 PM »
so I just returned from visiting my friendly, local powersports dealer (Sun & Fun Motorsports, Iowa City, IA)...and I did what I should have done 3 months ago...place my Kymco gasket and o ring order with them.

Funny thing is that the prices were exactly the same as Solano Cycle...but WITHOUT the $23 USD shipping charge.  Friendly place, usually gets parts within a week or 2 and at less cost (total order for Kymco parts there was $54...Solano's was $80).

still nothing from Solano's...no reply email from the owner, no call back as promised, heck I tried calling them Friday 3 times to cancel my order but they didn't even pick up the phone!! It rolled into voicemail, which I'm sure they check regularly (eye roll).

Lesson learned? Shop local. Don't shop at Solano Cycle!  I would be riding my scoot by now if I'd only ordered parts locally. Hope others can learn from my mistake.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 02:22:37 PM »
So far I've been impressed with delivery on my recent orders from overseas sources. My luggage rack and mounting plate from MotardInn was split into 2 deliveries. I guess one of the packages could slide down the distribution chute faster so USPS shows it will be delivered tomorrow and the other one delivered on Tuesday. Both coming from Spain through Amsterdam. Ordered on Apr 14.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()