Author Topic: 450i 2016 issues/coolant  (Read 1841 times)

kryptekman

• View Profile
450i 2016 issues/coolant
« on: April 22, 2022, 08:10:19 AM »
In Alaska I found this 16 Kymco 450i blue in color

Owner claims only 297 miles but now I noticed the odometer does not work or maybe I don’t have it programmed correctly.

Randomly the engine shuts off, display is not effected and it turns over instantly upon key turn. It can happen as little as five minutes or after a warm up and mile run. It has never happened during motion but it has upon stop/slow 1mph . Any tips would help please!!

I did get it to run non stop for about 45 minutes but then I noticed antifreeze spilling from the overflow tube. The plastic reservoir was Luke warm and the AF was bubble and trouble 👿. When I got this utv yesterday I vaguely recall the AF being filled above the max indicated line. I’m hoping this was just a case of too much and the radiator could not properly move it. After it cooled the reservoir was bone dry so I went to Walmart got some ethylene based AF and refilled the unit. Allowed her to warm for 15 and then went for a mile run. I did not see anymore bubbles and the radiator was hot to the touch but not scolding.

What I have done so far maintenance wise:
Changed spark plug new iridium
Emptied old gas and added new 87 unleaded gas
Topped off engine oil, purple royal 5-30 .5q
Cleaned air filter

Needed to do
Test battery voltage
Change engine oil
Change front rear differential
Check valve
Adjust carb (old plug was black wet but later had a white tip)
Clean carb
Clean oil filter
Clean fuel ??  filter

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 450i 2016 issues/coolant
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 11:15:52 AM »
450 "i"....
So this is electronic fuel injection....no carb to adjust or clean?

Welcome to the forum!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 12:10:44 PM »
How is your fan operating?

Yes, welcome to this forum!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 07:35:45 PM »
So confusing lol no carb! The area where the spark plug goes into looks alot like a traditional mikuni carb

Well how do i adjust the Idle or the fuel mixture.

I will check the battery tonight.

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 07:39:29 PM »
What is a reliable source for parts? Google has limited sites, it seems ebay might be the most diverse and correct.

Is this the stock engine fan? https://www.powersportsid.com/arrowhead/custom-cooling-fan-motor-assembly-mpn-rfm0003.html?singleid=3770234213#product-details

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 08:44:16 PM »
So confusing lol no carb! The area where the spark plug goes into looks alot like a traditional mikuni carb

Well how do i adjust the Idle or the fuel mixture.

I will check the battery tonight.
On electronic fuel injection (EFI, AFI) you DON'T! You can take apart and clean but you must NOT adjust throttle stop. There is nothing else to adjust except maybe the position of the MAP sensor!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 03:51:27 AM »
I got into the battery compartment and checked the fuses, the Fans fuse had blown 15a. I replaced it with a new one and checked the rest.

Started it up and ran for two miles, the fan is still not turning on but the grill is not overly hot, i can hold my hand on it for more than ten seconds comfortably and its about 35F outside

When can i expect the fan to turn on? My other Yamaha atv 2020 kodiak 450 the fan turns on within a few minutes of idle normally.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »
I got into the battery compartment and checked the fuses, the Fans fuse had blown 15a. I replaced it with a new one and checked the rest.

Started it up and ran for two miles, the fan is still not turning on but the grill is not overly hot, i can hold my hand on it for more than ten seconds comfortably and its about 35F outside

When can i expect the fan to turn on? My other Yamaha atv 2020 kodiak 450 the fan turns on within a few minutes of idle normally.
My UXV500i seems to run forever before the fan turns on. When pulling a mower deck in hot, HOT summer it would cycle on and off regularly but just running about nearly never.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 07:39:30 PM »
okay thanks! Ill keep an eye on the levels as i start to push it further.

I sprayed some silicone lubricant into the shifter assembly, it seemed to help with the sticky feeling.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 02:58:48 AM »
As long as your moving at speed the fan rarely comes on, when plowing snow at very low speeds it does come on frequently.  These small radiators can easily get packed with mud so be sure the radiator fins are cleaned out.  I just use a good stream from my garden hose to flush after riding in extreme dust or mud. Yes, do change the diff fluids, I use full synthetic 75/140 diff lube. Mine also has a tendency to stall until completely warmed up, but can also stall if overheated !!  With the current world issues shipping from Tiawan can be iffy at best. Not a lot of stocking dealers out there but there are some that will ship..  I have a 2015 450i and it has been an awesome machine, very few spare parts have been needed.  If your speedo is not working, try pulling the speed sensor and cleaning it and the electrical connection to it.  They are also known to go haywire and need replaced. About 50 bucks to replace mine. Right down there next to the oil fill and dipstick, one bolt to remove and pull sensor out. Good luck with your machine, hope it serves you as well as mine has served me!!

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 07:26:37 AM »
I pulled the oil plug from under the body today, and it was black as night and I found a 1mm gray rubber seal torn in half floating in the oil drip pan. That did not inspire alot of confidence. So i went back to walmart got some Mystery engine oil cleaner/fuel cleaner and flushed the engine with it open then added about 300ml with the new oil. Replaced the oil filter also.

It feels like the acceleration is smoother now but it still stalled after a mile run and sitting idle for a minute. I checked the battery and it says 12.6 so maybe get a new one

Should the fuel pump unit or whatever attached to the gas tank be hot? it was pretty damn hot after the mile drive and it was 30F tonight.

How difficult is it to pull the gas tank? I wouldnt mind getting in there and making sure that bitch is sparkling clean.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 07:28:35 AM by kryptekman »

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 01:33:38 PM »
You should get a service manual thru " Cyclepedia" either the nline or hard copy version, this will show you all that tou are asking for. A must if your going to keep your machine!  Fuel pump is an inline unit, by the passenger side under seat. Get some good clean synthetic oil in her, that will make a big difference, same for the diffs....

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 08:39:19 AM »
I got the cyclepedia on amazon for kindle it was 9.99$ and goddamn 1500 pages of photos and examples. I would have never found the drain plug on the front diff. without it.

I drained the rear and front diff, the rear diff was very chocolate milk/mud looking which does not instill confidence in the splines integrity. Flushed it out with a mixture of oil and mystery engine cleaner until it was the same color as stock diff oil.

The front diff was not as chocolate, more like new fluid but still dirty.

When I started her up she went the whole 20 minutes without stalling and did not stall tonight so far after about a 2 mile run. During the second half of the run i heard some strange noises and vibrations from under the seat and back behind me. Im not sure if it was the road I was on or something inside my cab/storage but it sounded pretty bad and was noticable at low mph and rpms. It eventually went away and I went the other 1 mile without any more odd sounds. Maybe it was just cleaning out some old build up in the engine or diffs. I will flush them and replace fluids one more time before saying shes 'Trail ready'.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »
Just a couple ideas for you...the rear brakes are known to make noise when they get dirty, that single disc easily traps debris and makes awefull noises but flushing with a garden hose usually stops it, for a short while!!  There is a steel plate that acts as a heat diffuser under the bed, that can also rattle or collect stones and other debris that rattles. Look carefully at the vent hoses comming off the diffs, they are rubber and can crack, which can allow water inside the diffs. Justbthrowing out some littlevthings that I have experienced with my machine and what others have mentioned....

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 07:44:04 PM »
Just a couple ideas for you...the rear brakes are known to make noise when they get dirty, that single disc easily traps debris and makes awefull noises but flushing with a garden hose usually stops it, for a short while!!  There is a steel plate that acts as a heat diffuser under the bed, that can also rattle or collect stones and other debris that rattles. Look carefully at the vent hoses comming off the diffs, they are rubber and can crack, which can allow water inside the diffs. Justbthrowing out some littlevthings that I have experienced with my machine and what others have mentioned....

Can you send me a photo or show me where those bleed hoses are? I didnt notice anything but a tiny little black cap on the rear diff that i unplugged and plugged again

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()