Author Topic: Headlight voltage/watts  (Read 1039 times)

kryptekman

• View Profile
Headlight voltage/watts
« on: April 29, 2022, 03:53:23 AM »
Cruised into napa today and the only replacement style bulbs for the 450i UXV are about double the watt/voltage whatever the rating is.

Stock is 35 Low 55 high beams, the new pair I purchased are 50-65. They do work and I havent noticed any hot wires or issues but could this cause my battery to drain faster than designed or all is okay as long as tires are rolling?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight voltage/watts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
Might keep a check on housing and lens, too, for heat damage.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 01:54:20 PM »
Cruised into napa today and the only replacement style bulbs for the 450i UXV are about double the watt/voltage whatever the rating is.

Stock is 35 Low 55 high beams, the new pair I purchased are 50-65. They do work and I havent noticed any hot wires or issues but could this cause my battery to drain faster than designed or all is okay as long as tires are rolling?

Got me curious as to if I could find one. Is this them? Mine is a 2015.

https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-H8-Standard-Headlight-Bulb-dp-B003YMM7AC/dp/B003YMM7AC/ref=dp_ob_title_auto?th=1

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 05:56:05 PM »
If you want to light  night with less watt draw and many times the brightness look at an LED substitute.  Cross referenced mine on Amazon, and replaced the stock bulbs with led's..  Hugh difference!!  Really lights up the night, led were about 20 each but the brightness is awesme.  Les amp draw, less heat, had mine for 2 yrs now, no issues

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 07:42:14 PM »
If you want to light  night with less watt draw and many times the brightness look at an LED substitute.  Cross referenced mine on Amazon, and replaced the stock bulbs with led's..  Hugh difference!!  Really lights up the night, led were about 20 each but the brightness is awesme.  Les amp draw, less heat, had mine for 2 yrs now, no issues

Could you link me?

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 07:43:15 PM »

Got me curious as to if I could find one. Is this them? Mine is a 2015.

https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-H8-Standard-Headlight-Bulb-dp-B003YMM7AC/dp/B003YMM7AC/ref=dp_ob_title_auto?th=1

Nope, napa says that would fit but it does not. It has a three prong plug in.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 10:00:16 PM »
Not a computor wiz here, making a link is beyond my pay grade...however I took the number right off the original bulb and went to Amazon and cross referenced LED bulb to the original bulb make and model.  Amazon took mevto their " most popular" replacement led bulb.  I used that info to search for info on that bulb, as far as watts used, life expectency, lumen output etc..  These bulbs are plug and play, fit right into the original socket and plug, no mods needed!!  If you cant locate any info let me know, I save all my paperwork and will go thru and search for the info if need be. I have a 12" high output lightbar with led lights mounted on my front bumper, the new headlamps are almost as bright as my light bar....when I turn them all on.....you can see everything !!!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:30:02 PM »
O k...went down and pulled the info on my headlamps for my 2015 450i....standard bulbs were H4 motorcycle headlamps, 55 watt max draw.  The LED bulbs I bought are made by " Nilight" and are fanless bulbs ( no fan required). They have an aluminum frame to act as a heat sink, their rated operating temperature is less than stock bulbs, their rated watt draw is 10 watts less than stock bulbs! They are plug and play with the 3 pin base. They came with a two year warranty. The bulbs put out the silver blue " daylight color" not yellow like many cheap bulbs. The cost was 40 for a pair, but well worth the extra cost.  Originally I upgraded to "SilverStar" bulbs, while they were an improvement over stock, their watt draw was much higher andvthe iperating temp was higher than stock bulbs so those two things made me nervous on a long night ride!!  That is when I switched to the LED headlamps...will never go back..the LED's are excellent !!!

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 05:50:53 AM »
O k...went down and pulled the info on my headlamps for my 2015 450i....standard bulbs were H4 motorcycle headlamps, 55 watt max draw.  The LED bulbs I bought are made by " Nilight" and are fanless bulbs ( no fan required). They have an aluminum frame to act as a heat sink, their rated operating temperature is less than stock bulbs, their rated watt draw is 10 watts less than stock bulbs! They are plug and play with the 3 pin base. They came with a two year warranty. The bulbs put out the silver blue " daylight color" not yellow like many cheap bulbs. The cost was 40 for a pair, but well worth the extra cost.  Originally I upgraded to "SilverStar" bulbs, while they were an improvement over stock, their watt draw was much higher andvthe iperating temp was higher than stock bulbs so those two things made me nervous on a long night ride!!  That is when I switched to the LED headlamps...will never go back..the LED's are excellent !!!

ok coo thanksl, got a link?

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 06:54:48 PM »
Is this the one?

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-20035H-Motorcycle-Headlight-Conversion/dp/B08DKYXQXG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1HT3J889WP56Z&keywords=H4%2Bled%2Bnilight%2Bfanless&qid=1651344636&refinements=p_89%3ANilight&rnid=2528832011&s=automotive&sprefix=h4%2Bled%2Bnilight%2Bfanless%2Cautomotive%2C109&sr=1-6&th=1

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 10:38:20 PM »
Yessir, those are what I have, you will notice a BIG difference with these, plug and play..  One thing I played around with on mine is the position of the bulb in the housing, they go in just like oldes come out, but on mine,  I prefered the light pattern with the bulbs turned 180 degrees.  You can try them both ways to see which way you prefer.

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 11:45:34 PM »
Yessir, those are what I have, you will notice a BIG difference with these, plug and play..  One thing I played around with on mine is the position of the bulb in the housing, they go in just like oldes come out, but on mine,  I prefered the light pattern with the bulbs turned 180 degrees.  You can try them both ways to see which way you prefer.

Thankee! You da man!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()