Author Topic: Speed Demon  (Read 822 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Demon
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 12:26:23 PM »
I have found, with my K-Pipe, even though I have the engine to do it now, I'm not really comfortable going faster than I could before, every time I get above 65, it feels shaky, I dunno if it's flex in the frame, or aerodynamics. I haven't been up to that speed with my new mirrors, they are out further, and lower, and more aerodynamic shape (imho without a wind tunnel) I could try a different helmet, things like that. It's not easy to be aerodynamic on a naked bike, especially when I am 50 lbs. bigger than the bike. It's so small underneath me, it's like riding a stool down the road, the front wheel, speedo or mirrors are not in my field of vision without moving my head, completely taking my eyes off the road, mirrors are almost in my field of view

If I could find a fly screen, would help
Yep, some are comfortable going 70 on a stool. Many of us are not.
You're one of the first I've heard say, "I could go faster - but I wouldn't enjoy it."
Well done, you!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »
when I first got my S200 I never even full throttled it...I had the sensation of riding on an office chair at terrifying speeds while surrounded by maniacs in cars!

Now..I enjoy the speed and am completely used to it...but first starting out?...wow...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 07:50:57 PM »
when I first got my S200 I never even full throttled it...I had the sensation of riding on an office chair at terrifying speeds while surrounded by maniacs in cars!

Now..I enjoy the speed and am completely used to it...but first starting out?...wow...

luckily, I'm not usually surrounded by traffic, I live in a rural area, with back roads to sneak into town and keeping off the main drag..... unless I need gas, my first fill-up over $5 today,  $5.06 for 0.92gal of Sunoco 93.  I'm now realizing most of the noise I make is not the Cherry Bomb exhaust, it's the intake honk

I did a short stint on the highway today on my way to my dentist appointment, and a tractor-trailer passed me just as I was exiting, NO, highway only if absolutely necessary, I thought the wake of that truck was gonna blow me off the highway, probably would have, if I wasn't slowing to get off, Scooters mys have better aerodynamics than a K-Pipe   
RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 07:50:38 AM »
I have found, with my K-Pipe, even though I have the engine to do it now, I'm not really comfortable going faster than I could before, every time I get above 65, it feels shaky, I dunno if it's flex in the frame, or aerodynamics. I haven't been up to that speed with my new mirrors, they are out further, and lower, and more aerodynamic shape (imho without a wind tunnel) I could try a different helmet, things like that. It's not easy to be aerodynamic on a naked bike, especially when I am 50 lbs. bigger than the bike. It's so small underneath me, it's like riding a stool down the road, the front wheel, speedo or mirrors are not in my field of vision without moving my head, completely taking my eyes off the road, mirrors are almost in my field of view

If I could find a fly screen, would help

Some bikes are just like that.  It could be the aerodynamics or the frame or even the tires.  I have had a few bikes that got unstable before reaching top speed.  I never got to top speed on my 82 GS550E or my KLR 650.  Most of my scooters have been perfectly stable at top speed.  My Majesty tops out around 90 and that feels fine but I have seem triple digits going downhill and that felt a bit shaky.  My Like will do a bit over 60 but it feels like 70 would be no issue if it had the power to reach that speed. 

I think that with your K pipe the frame may not be stiff enough to allow for really high speeds.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 03:58:48 PM »
Some bikes are just like that.  It could be the aerodynamics or the frame or even the tires.  I have had a few bikes that got unstable before reaching top speed.  I never got to top speed on my 82 GS550E or my KLR 650.  Most of my scooters have been perfectly stable at top speed.  My Majesty tops out around 90 and that feels fine but I have seem triple digits going downhill and that felt a bit shaky.  My Like will do a bit over 60 but it feels like 70 would be no issue if it had the power to reach that speed. 

I think that with your K pipe the frame may not be stiff enough to allow for really high speeds.

Suzuki limits the V-Strom 1000 for that reason.  Gears 1,2 & 3 are restricted to limit intake honk in lower gears to meet EPA regs, also restricted in 5th & 6th cause the bike is not safe over 125-130 and 4th is the only unrestricted gear, I discovered can do 138 @ redline
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()