Author Topic: 1st oil change  (Read 606 times)

swoter

• View Profile
1st oil change
« on: May 14, 2022, 11:03:45 PM »
I have 207 miles on the Like 150 now, so did the first oil and gear lube change.
The oil was easy, the gear lube also until I went to refill. I was going to use a turkey baster, but the tube was just a little wide. I bought an empty condiments bottle from Krogers and that worked fairly well. The spout on it was small enough to go about 1/2 way in the fill hole, and the bottle was thin enough I could work it in between the housing and wheel.
Now I’m all set until I hit 600 miles.

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 1st oil change
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 11:49:21 PM »
When these machines are designed, they dont consider having to work on them after assembly..we need to become engineers ourselves to figure ways to perform these services. I have found small hand pumps that fit into various containers so the material can be pumped out thru a small hose to fill whatever.  I have several to use for different oils and lubes.  Glad you were able to create a solution.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 12:52:30 AM »
I'm gonna have the new motor in my K-Pipe serviced shortly, my YSS shock should be arriving shortly, I will get both done at the same time.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 09:32:17 AM »
When these machines are designed, they dont consider having to work on them after assembly..we need to become engineers ourselves to figure ways to perform these services. I have found small hand pumps that fit into various containers so the material can be pumped out thru a small hose to fill whatever.  I have several to use for different oils and lubes.  Glad you were able to create a solution.

Mmm, you can be sure Sir Alec Issigonis never did an oil filter change on the mini he designed! 🤬. Or that Joseph Lucas (Prince of Darkness) ever rode a bike equipped with his products after sunset!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:34:28 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 02:22:36 PM »

It was hinted that China was using fish oil at the Chinese assembly plants of my LIKE200i - so I had that suspect oil out and some good Amsoil Scooter Specific oil put in at 70 miles :)

Gear oil was swapped out for Honda Pro gear oil at 227 miles.
Finally got the courage to check the Valves at 406 miles.
And the Iridium spark plug went in at 604 miles.
Brake fluid exchanged at 1263 miles because it was 2 yrs  old. (true, half of that 24 mos it was sitting on my dealer's sales floor, still...)

Curious to see how a valve check is DIY'd on the LIKE150i.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 02:32:17 PM »
Mmm, you can be sure Sir Alec Issigonis never did an oil filter change on the mini he designed! 🤬. Or that Joseph Lucas (Prince of Darkness) ever rode a bike equipped with his products after sunset!

ah! familiar with Lucas electrics, my older brother had a '59 MGA, never started in the electric start when cold, always had to get the crank out
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »
Decades ago - sign over the service counter at my local Subaru / MG dealer: "Lucas Refrigerators - why the Brits drink their beer warm"

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 02:54:11 PM »
I have 207 miles on the Like 150 now, so did the first oil and gear lube change.
The oil was easy, the gear lube also until I went to refill. I was going to use a turkey baster, but the tube was just a little wide. I bought an empty condiments bottle from Krogers and that worked fairly well. The spout on it was small enough to go about 1/2 way in the fill hole, and the bottle was thin enough I could work it in between the housing and wheel.
Now I’m all set until I hit 600 miles.

I'm curious about the gear lube quantity. Does yours still require 180ml of gear oil? Is the quantity still stamped on the cover? Lots of machines are designed to fill the gear oil until it comes out of the fill hole...but if you do that on our class of Kymcos (the 125 / 150 / 163cc) you will have overfilled it and the excess will blow out into your airbox, ruining your air filter.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

swoter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 05:03:36 PM »
I don’t remember what the book said, I just pulled it to a red solo cup and replaced what came out. The next time I do it, I’ll pull to a graduated cup and measure it.

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 08:16:13 PM »
I use a veterinarian hypodermic syringe to fill the gear lube.
Like 150i ABS

swoter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 10:57:04 PM »
That’s a good idea. Where did you buy it?

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 11:47:30 PM »

they have em at Tractor Supply
RandyO
IBA#9560

swoter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 12:46:25 AM »
Thanks!  I’ll pick one up there’s a tractor supply in London.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 05:15:59 AM »
Decades ago - sign over the service counter at my local Subaru / MG dealer: "Lucas Refrigerators - why the Brits drink their beer warm"

Stig

Oh very good!  I must be odd I prefer my beers chilled, even draught Brit beers. Most good cellars here are pretty cold & damp anyway,perfect for traditional ale 😎
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 07:07:03 PM »
Rural King
Like 150i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()