Author Topic: AK 550 vs XMax 300 - Comparison?  (Read 1102 times)

Luckyword

• View Profile
AK 550 vs XMax 300 - Comparison?
« on: May 19, 2022, 01:24:50 AM »
Am considering buying an AK 550. I live in California, have rode 55K miles last 10 years on a Vespa GTS 300 Super, much of it on the freeway. Vespa engine died.

Looking at an XMax 300, but intrigued by the added power / potential stability of an AK 550. Looks like it may be more stable than X Max 300 (realize it's bigger, but how much bigger?)

Is lane-splitting easy on an AK 550? I've loved lane-splitting on my GTS 300.

Have you ridden a GTS 300 or XMax - and - if so, do you have any feedback / advice? How does it compare to AK 550?

AK 550 looks super fun. Difficult to find parts? Is Noodoe well-designed, or does it fall short? Would want to use it for navigation. It looks cool, just looking for honest feedback.

Other issues I should be aware of? Thanks.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: AK 550 vs XMax 300 - Comparison?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 01:34:46 AM »
I haven't ridden an AK550 but it gets good reviews from owners on another forum I am on.

I have ridden an Xmax.  I liked it.  When I finally replace my Majesty400 it might be with an Xmax unless something better comes along in the next few years.

I have ridden a Tmax 500 and Tmax 530.  The Tmax is what the AK550 is competing with in much of the world although Yamaha no longer sells the Tmax here. 

For highway riding the AK550 has much more power to deal with higher speeds.  I would buy and Xmax over an AK550 but I am more interested in around town and back road riding and prefer the smaller and lighter.  If I was planning on a lot of highway riding I'd consider the AK however the Xmax is perfectly capable of highway riding.  It's just going to be closer to maxed out at higher speeds. 

When i rode the Tmax it just flet more like an automatic motorcycle to me.  It lost that lightweight scooter feel to me.  For some people that's a plus. 

You might want to check out this link for comments from actual AK550 owners:  https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-ak550-in-the-usa-for-2021.1470001/
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()