Author Topic: New Owner -- Topcase? Windscreen?  (Read 496 times)

Luckyword

• View Profile
New Owner -- Topcase? Windscreen?
« on: May 22, 2022, 08:43:45 PM »
Whelp, I just purchased and picked up an AK 550 from a dealer yesterday, and I am loving this bike!!!

Huge upgrade from my Vespa GTS (an awesome bike!)

I'm in the market for a topcase and windscreen -- what are your recommendations, please?

For a topcase -- I see Shad and Givi -- of course -- any recommendations? (I'll need to buy the mounting "plate" too -- I saw one youtube video where the plate had a "limit of 5kg -- lol!)

Same question for the windscreen?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 01:53:53 PM by Luckyword »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New Owner -- Topcase? Windscreen?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 09:58:45 PM »
My dealer told me those rear weight limits had to do with the unfavorable effects on the handling of the front end.
Sure, a 40lb secrete wouldn't break anything back there....but...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 01:33:34 AM »
I've seen top case loading limits as high as 12 kg stamped on some tail racks or top cases. I don't know that I've ever put as much as 25 lbs (11.3 kg) in a top case. Usually more like between 15-20 lbs (6.8-9 kg). Never experienced any negative effects while riding packed like that. But there are some riders who really pack their cases heavy so YMMV.

Givi makes a good windshield for the AK 550. Taller and wider.
You might try looking at Kappa top cases. They are a sub-division of Givi and are the budget priced version. Kappa has a few different styles of cases than Givi but they all fit the same Monokey or Monolock system.

Shad has their Top Master racks for the top cases and also you can add their 3P system for putting on side cases.
Givi has the SR6110 luggage rack and the base plate of your choice for their system that fits both Givi and Kappa top cases.

I am adding the Givi SR6110 luggage rack with the Givi M8B black aluminum mounting plate but no top case. I just need a luggage rack for now without the case. I already have the mounting plate and have removed the locking studs from it for the Monokey case so it is just a flat aluminum plate back there.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 10:39:40 PM »
I have added the same Givi luggage rack Bob mentioned. I’ll get a mounting plate when I am ready to add a top case. For now, I use a top case that is strapped to the rack. Never more than 5lbs in the case.

My Givi windscreen has cleared customs so hope to have in shortly.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()