Author Topic: question about pictures  (Read 230 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
question about pictures
« on: June 05, 2022, 01:10:01 PM »
   I'm not the most computer literate person, so I have a question. I'm finally trying to download some pictures of my scooter, and the site is telling me my file is too large,and won't allow it. How do I correct this problem?
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: question about pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 02:25:55 PM »
there are a number of ways to do it...I take pics with my phone and email them to myself, open them on my computer and use the 'snip' feature (known as the Snipping Tool on windows machines) to copy the pic and save it to my 'scooter forum' file. The 'snipped' pic will be a much smaller file size than the original.

The snipping tool is a great thing to use, it allows you to copy full or only parts of a screen, save, and send to someone. I use it for work all the time.  Do a search for it on your computer, open it and then pin it to your task bar for easy access.

Others will upload pics to a 3rd party site (Flickr, etc.) where you can change the size of the file. My previous email program let me alter the size of a file I was sending in email, so I could choose a lower resolution / smaller file size.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: question about pictures
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 04:01:40 PM »
When you have the picture file on your computer can you view that in a "gallery" program or photo viewer program?
Many of those have an edit feature that includes a resize option. You can resize your photo by setting the pixel details (one of the resize options) to no bigger than 1024 x 768 (or 768 x 1024 depending on portrait or landscape... or tall or wide display of the picture). As long as the biggest pixel number for your picture is less than one of those numbers.

I sometimes will use my old Kodak EasyShare C360 camera to take the photos I want to share here. That camera is a 5 megapixel camera but still some photos end up too big so I have to edit the size a little. Many years ago I had a cell phone with a camera app that would allow me to set the size of photos taken so I could specify a smaller picture size that would work here but that was before I was a member here.

This is one of negatives of this particular forum software... limited photo size and no function to auto resize larger pictures to work here.
All the other forums on which I am a member take my photos full sized right from my phone (12 megapixel, so huge by comparison of what is accepted here) and either auto size the pictures to work or accept them as is.

Yet another option if it is available to you. I keep all my recent pictures on Google Photos. I can copy a link to share those photos in a post here and will sometimes do that. I copy that link using the "Insert Hyperlink" option. That's one of the buttons across the top of the new post box that looks like the earth with a paper page in front of part of it.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()