Author Topic: NSR: 75th ann. of the U.S. Air Force & Memphis Belle visit  (Read 176 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NSR: 75th ann. of the U.S. Air Force & Memphis Belle visit
« on: June 07, 2022, 02:14:44 PM »
The National Museum of the United States Air Force, in Dayton, OH - is marking the 75th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force.*
As part of this celebration - the museum opened the Memphis Belle to a limited number of persons for a look inside the bomber during the Memorial Day w/e.

*In 1947 many members of the Army Air Force moved to this newly formed branch of service - the Air Force.

Stig

Interesting to read the discussion re. the Hell's Angels B-17 - which completed 25 missions days before the famed Memphis Belle completed it's famous 25.
A curator at the museum explained to us that the Belle was the first to do so "over Europe" - while the Angels completed theirs over the "European theater". (whatever - America needed some good news ....)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 02:32:42 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: NSR: 75th ann. of the U.S. Air Force & Memphis Belle visit
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 06:02:58 PM »
Good report, Stig! Memphis Belle deteriorated badly its years in Memphis. Glad to see this bit of hardware history properly restored and INSIDE a climate-controlled building.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()