Author Topic: I'd walk before I'd pay $6~!  (Read 763 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
I'd walk before I'd pay $6~!
« on: June 11, 2022, 02:25:30 PM »
thank goodness it wasn't $6!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: I'd walk before I'd pay $6~!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 03:48:21 PM »
Not much different!
Thankful I don't need more than 87 octane, but even that will get there soon enough.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 09:13:06 PM »
I burn premium in my K-Pipe, imho a requirement of air cooled engine .... pre ignition is dependent on temp as much as compression

last fillup I spent $4.40 and the one before, $5.06 (only time it has ever cost me over $5) iirc cost was in $5.85 range going down to $5.70 now

it's hard to be concerned when a completely empty tank is only 1.1 gal
RandyO
IBA#9560

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 10:50:44 PM »
I’m trying to plan trips so I can minimize mileage; thus lower my gas costs. Right now this is a work in progress. While gas prices are high, gas costs so much less than moving to a location where a car or scooter is not necessary to get to any stores.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 12:50:42 AM »
Agreed, hard to get too concerned about even $7 or $9 gas - with a 150 sipping it🙃

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 03:03:30 AM »
I retired at the right time, a couple years ago, I was putting an aggregate of 100k/year on my company vehicles, now, I'm guessing I will end up with only 5 or 6 thousand total, haven't put gas in my Tacoma in over a month, and still has a half tank +.
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 03:37:18 AM »
My wife recently attempted to drive the Rav4 instead of the other car she usually takes. I guess she was thinking of giving it some street time since it sits in the garage for weeks at a time unused. Well, turns out it was sitting in the garage for a few months this time and wouldn't start. Battery almost dead. Starter didn't start and the dash and all electrical systems just flashed on/off and clicked as they did so. Now I have a Battery Tender pigtail permanently connected to the Rav4 to keep the battery charged (I may have to buy another Battery Tender with a higher amps output just for the Rav4). I gave up trying to convince my wife we don't need 2 cars. Did that for a whole month once and that's when she just had to out and buy the Rav4 in the first place. With me riding the bike unless I have to carry something too big to carry on 2 wheels (a rare occurrence) and her driving the smaller car to save a little on gas the Rav4 just sits there in the garage. We did fine during that month we only had one car. I was even still working and commuting but if I didn't ride the bike to work I took the bus (free for veterans in this metro area). Her excuse is "what if I need a car when she has it out somewhere" and my reply is always "then I can wait until later". Now that I'm retired we REALLY don't need 2 cars. I can still take the bus if I really have to go somewhere and the car is out and the weather won't allow me to ride. Now more than ever the need for an extra SUV is less than it was before.
/bob

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 03:56:56 AM »
I don't "need" 2 cars, it's just more convenient when one needs repairs that take more than a day. Right now, my Silverado is in shop  getting new rocker panels + annual inspection, oil change, etc.

I bought the Tacoma so I could have a 2nd vehicle, from a friend, he just wasn't driving it, it was a 4th vehicle in his fleet, and got only 2000 miles in the last 3 years, when I started driving, things started breaking, brake lines, shifter cable, starter, and steering rack, ack I think I put $4k total repairs, non use is terrible for a vehicle, but what I paid+repairs is still less than NADA avg trade in by a few hundred, so I don't feel too bad, it's relatively low miles for an '05 Tacoma @ 138k

RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »
Right now I'm not driving but even if I was $6. Gas would not be a deturent.   Poor farmers having to pay for Diesel right now. That price will be passed on to the consumers purchasing food in the future. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 02:40:49 PM »
Gas and Diesel isn't expensive, was only to cheap off lately.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 03:15:11 PM »
I don't "need" 2 cars, it's just more convenient when one needs repairs that take more than a day. Right now, my Silverado is in shop  getting new rocker panels + annual inspection, oil change, etc.

I bought the Tacoma so I could have a 2nd vehicle, from a friend, he just wasn't driving it, it was a 4th vehicle in his fleet, and got only 2000 miles in the last 3 years, when I started driving, things started breaking, brake lines, shifter cable, starter, and steering rack, ack I think I put $4k total repairs, non use is terrible for a vehicle, but what I paid+repairs is still less than NADA avg trade in by a few hundred, so I don't feel too bad, it's relatively low miles for an '05 Tacoma @ 138k

IMO, just for me, I have a really hard time justifying keep an extra vehicle just for that one time every 10 years or so when I MIGHT need one for a day while the other is in the shop. That's the average for our household for any major repair. Our auto repair shop provides a shuttle to/from if I have to leave the car there and the last time that happened was at least 6 years ago. Didn't need to go anyplace other than work at that time and I still have the bike or bus for that. That extra vehicle just sits in the garage and, as you said, that is not good for any vehicle for more reasons than just the gas.
/bob

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 03:26:56 PM »

IMO, just for me, I have a really hard time justifying keep an extra vehicle just for that one time every 10 years or so when I MIGHT need one for a day while the other is in the shop. That's the average for our household for any major repair. Our auto repair shop provides a shuttle to/from if I have to leave the car there and the last time that happened was at least 6 years ago. Didn't need to go anyplace other than work at that time and I still have the bike or bus for that. That extra vehicle just sits in the garage and, as you said, that is not good for any vehicle for more reasons than just the gas.

the shop I use, started picking up and delivering during covid, and found that it works best never having customers in the shop, I like having 2 vehicles cause I buy em cheap cheap with high miles. The Tacoma is first car/truck I have owned with under 200k in a long time. Usually instead of major repair, I just buy another vehicle, but getting hard to find good ones, my mechanic told me to keep the Silverado going as long as I can, normally, I junk a vehicle if it needs rockers

Im' still spending a lot less than buying a new or nearly new truck, freekin new trucks cost 3x what I paid for my house... or more
RandyO
IBA#9560

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »
That scooter is like a work of art...beautiful....the F77 is looking better and better every day...to my eyes....I'm tired of paying $30 monthly (Gas)  to cut the damn grass!

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2022, 05:06:58 PM »
That scooter is like a work of art...beautiful....the F77 is looking better and better every day...to my eyes....I'm tired of paying $30 monthly (Gas)  to cut the damn grass!
I guess we could go back to the old days and have grazing animals take care of our lawn,LOL. The side benefit to me is my scooter/motorcycle  collection sold extremely fast  with the high fuel prices. Only about half a dozen motorcycle/scooters left out of my collection of 32.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 05:11:39 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2022, 06:13:01 PM »
I guess we could go back to the old days and have grazing animals take care of our lawn,LOL. The side benefit to me is my scooter/motorcycle  collection sold extremely fast  with the high fuel prices. Only about half a dozen motorcycle/scooters left out of my collection of 32.

Wow....it's hard to let collections go....but I'm a guy who does throw out good stuff because I hate clutter and not being organized....I have started many collections in my 63 years and there is nothing to show for it now...memories is all....

And you are RIGHT we all need cows right now!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()