Author Topic: Diagnostic Tool not working  (Read 376 times)

Rorusb

• View Profile
Diagnostic Tool not working
« on: June 15, 2022, 03:39:22 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I have a Downtown 300i (2014) and I have the Kymco Diagnostic tool.  When I connect the tool to the bike, it powers up when the key is turned on but it will not read anything from the bike.  I checked the wires at the Diagnostic plug, and it has 12v power (black) and a solid chasis ground (Green) and the continuity from the White / Yellow Data wire from the plug all the way to the ECU.

I am not sure why the tool is not reading the ECU, and I have a check engine light that came on (My fault) after I used the fuel pump to drain the fuel from the tank. (Disconnected the line from the injector, and extended it to a fuel can.  Put a fuse in the relay plug to run the pump to drain the tank.

I am trying to get this bike going so it can be taken for an Out of Province inspection.  I need to clear the CELP light that is on, or it will not pass. 

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnostic Tool not working
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 07:53:35 AM »
I have the same setup and (so far) every time I have plugged the tool in and turned key ON, the screen lights up and the tool goes through to words on the screen. I will dig out my tool and just power it on the bench to see what happens then post here.....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 01:11:18 PM »
See the picture of tool hooked to a 14 volt DeWalt battery. The screen lights up with words. I would conclude your analyzer tool is the problem and not so much the bike. Surely Kymco will make good on a $200+ tool.....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Rorusb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I can confirm the tool does power up, and I can scroll through the menus, it is just not reading anything from the ECU.  When I try to Load the DTC's, there are none present, when I try to Clear the DTC, it says it has cleared but the CELP is still on.  If I click the ECU version it does not display any information, only a serial number of all zero's.  I have concluded that the tool is not reading the ECU.

I was wondering if there is an update needed maybe?  I would take it to a dealer, but the closest one is on the other side of Canada as I am in Alberta, and the nearest actual dealer is in Ontario.  With the price of fuel, it would cost me more to drive it there in the truck then what the bike is worth, might as well just go buy a brand new one!  :P

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 02:34:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I can confirm the tool does power up, and I can scroll through the menus, it is just not reading anything from the ECU.  When I try to Load the DTC's, there are none present, when I try to Clear the DTC, it says it has cleared but the CELP is still on.  If I click the ECU version it does not display any information, only a serial number of all zero's.  I have concluded that the tool is not reading the ECU.

I was wondering if there is an update needed maybe?  I would take it to a dealer, but the closest one is on the other side of Canada as I am in Alberta, and the nearest actual dealer is in Ontario.  With the price of fuel, it would cost me more to drive it there in the truck then what the bike is worth, might as well just go buy a brand new one!  :P
I am sorry I misinterpreted your description!

Okay, since you did the continuity on the white (data) wire to the ECU, that leaves the possibility of a bad connection at the big ECU connector and at the test plug on the bike. Get a small tube (have never seen a large one!) of silicone dielectric grease at your auto parts store, unplug the connector, lather up the female side of the connector then plug in and out a couple of times. Do the same at the test plug. See if that makes contact. Of course, do a visual inspection before greasing up everything....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 03:46:39 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()