Author Topic: NSR; Rental cars-!  (Read 557 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NSR; Rental cars-!
« on: June 20, 2022, 10:20:30 AM »
After driving this rental Toyota Highlander for 6 days I discovered last night that it has the engine stop feature.
The dash is so hard to see...never noticed that the tach drops yo 0 at stops. It did feel like something was tapping me in the rear...which was the engine restarting.
Also...there is a lane monitor. I changed lanes one morning on n empty boulevard, without signaling...and the car yelled at me and a hand from the back seat slapped my nice controversial hat off.
There is a 660 pg manual in the car.....
good luck with that...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: NSR; Rental cars-!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »
Getting way too clever for their own good some of these new cars!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 03:46:51 AM »
that engine stop feature is common in most modern day cars and it will ultamitly shorten the life of the engine by constantly starting and stoping at every light or stop to conserve fuel. Hoefully you drive it like you stole it  :P
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 07:21:23 AM »
that engine stop feature is common in most modern day cars and it will ultamitly shorten the life of the engine by constantly starting and stoping at every light or stop to conserve fuel. Hoefully you drive it like you stole it  :P

It is, but many (including my daughter’s BMW) allow you to turn this feature off?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:53 PM »
    Modern technology is great. I love the heated seats and adaptive cruise control etc. Beware however! Last February I was backing out of my garage and knocked one of my rear-view mirrors off. Because of the radar and turn signal components built into the mirror, it cost $700 to replace. Technology sure is expensive!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 01:00:56 AM »
It is, but many (including my daughter’s BMW) allow you to turn this feature off?
Most vehicles do, just check your owners manual
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 10:29:10 AM »
Most vehicles do, just check your owners manual
Once a year we fly into an airport and are handed the keys - something which will start this strange new-to-me car. Often there is no owner's manual in the glove box. And never have I found an attendant who knew the car.
First..how to move seat so I can fit, then how to get the a/c on, how set the mirrors,  then how to start,  what puts it into gear?, seat belts.....and let's find the exit to this parking garage?
And.....we're merging into new highway construction with a group of angry Florida drivers, none of which, obviously, have passed a driver's exam.....but they're all late for their morning wreck.
I rent from National,  Emerald Club member for decades. Rent whatever - then take any car. We rent small, take full size minivans, Tahoe, Suburban, always biggest vehicles in the group.....for protection in the coming road wars.
It's not like you can go somewhere to practice and figure things out.....you don't even get a warm-up lap.
It's a rolling start baby!!!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 04:18:55 PM »
I found that the automatic engine shut down to be disturbing. Especially with the resulting lag when stepping on the accelerator when the light changes. My car has a switch to turn this feature off and I have found that when I place it into manual mode, the engine won’t shut down. I wonder if cars with a larger engine handle the auto off/restart far more smoothly than my slightly underpowered car does.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 05:04:31 PM »
I found that the automatic engine shut down to be disturbing. Especially with the resulting lag when stepping on the accelerator when the light changes. My car has a switch to turn this feature off and I have found that when I place it into manual mode, the engine won’t shut down. I wonder if cars with a larger engine handle the auto off/restart far more smoothly than my slightly underpowered car does.
Actually, after I figured out what was happening - I noticed it always started the engine before the light turned green.
So there was 0 lag when stepping on the gas.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()