Author Topic: Changed Headlight  (Read 1084 times)

VeroLikey

• View Profile
Changed Headlight
« on: June 25, 2022, 07:25:42 PM »
So, I wasn't impressed with the stock halogen bulb on the Like 200i so I took a chance, going on a post I read somewhere, to use an H4 LED bulb.

The minus column points for the old bulb were:  •50% due to I feeling like I was out running the light all the time even at reasonable 30mph speeds, it seemed like I had to constantly be on guard to make a split second move to avoid anything that may suddenly appear. •30% felt like the standard light bulb color sort of "Blends In" too much, it might go un-noticed at a bad time by other drivers, a crisper white light seemed to be more visible to other drivers. •20% I wanted a very bright lamp on high beam setting that will really stand out, the stock bulb just wasn't really bright when on High.

My main fears when ordering was the High/Low beam patterns would be crap, or the lamp shape/interface would not match the stock socket.

Installation day. I read that I needed to take everything apart in the gauge/front headlight assembly, so I removed the mirrors and turn signal stalks. Once I got the 4 screws removed and putty knife pried (with a masking tape protection cover)  the 3 top clips to gain access, I realized I did not need at all to remove the mirrors or the stalks...dang, them mirrors are a pain. I was able to just carefully pull back on the gage cluster and access the bulb. The old one popped right out, but I had to loosen a little screw that holds the spring clip in place to rotate a small tab out of the way to allow the new bulb to go in. The new bulb fit right in place after that screw was loosened and I tightened it back up using a Phillips head drill bit in the box end of a 1/4 combo wrench since there was very little room to use a screw driver.  So, it was a relative drop in item as the 3 tabs matched perfectly, they were just a tad thicker being made of plastic instead of a thin gauge metal.

Plugged right in and lit up in high and low beam. So I put everything back together.

WOW. Much brighter, and the beam pattern while not perfect, lays out a very nice well lit large patch of road in front of me without being annoyingly bright to other drivers. High beam is just phenomenal, it really throws out a lot of light. The lamp color is sparkling bright white without being blue, so the color is perfect in my book. And if I should need to get someone's attention, the high beam would scream "Here I Am!!" I don't think even going 100 MPH that I would over run the high beam, it lights the road out to 100 yard and surroundings out to at least 200 yards.

I did use a phillips screw driver to adjust the angle of the beam till it seemed just right in the low beam setting, lighting up enough road in front of me to see well and not feel like I'm over running, The screw access hole is up under the head light, it takes some trial and error to get the screw driver angle right to engage the height adjustment screw. Once the low beam was good, the high seemed perfect too.

Overall, I'm super pleased. I'll try and get a photo of the low beam pattern, ironically, it's like a Bat signal being projected on the ground...but instead of a bat, it's a dead ringer for a Star Wars storm trooper!! I ride around with Vader's Theme ear worm echoing around in my head. Attached screenshot is the exact one I got from Amazon.
2014 Like 200i

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Changed Headlight
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:15:14 PM »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

VeroLikey

• View Profile
Pix of Light
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 03:10:17 AM »
So here are the 2 light pattern pictures. I measured the distance of the dim light and it lights the road out to 80 yards. The high beam lights the road out to 230 yards. So at 40 mph (60 feet per second) that gives me roughly 4 seconds of road in low beam, and 12 seconds while the high beam is on.

2014 Like 200i

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 09:40:34 AM »
    I agree completely. I replaced the 2 halogen lamps on my X-Town 300 with LEDS also. The difference is amazing! Much greater visibility during the day and night. I also recommend changing the license plate bulb to LED. Much brighter and better rear end visibility.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 09:17:43 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 01:55:37 PM »
A question:
My 2 concerns with these bulbs are heat and ability to aim.
You say the light can be aimed to do more than provide a flood of light ahead. It produces a usable beam? Good.

But first I  need to know that this bulb is not going to damage my plastic headlight bucket and surrounding panels.

What method is used to deal with the extra heat this bulb produces?

Thanks
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

VeroLikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 05:30:41 PM »

What method is used to deal with the extra heat this bulb produces?

Thanks
Stig

I have the same concern, but keep 2 things to keep in mind. 1) Halogen bulbs are hot as Hades, and we don't give that much concern. 2) I'm pretty sure the amperage draw for the LED is less and therefore heat is lower. Here's an Article which says similar things.

Short answer, LEDs are cool.
2014 Like 200i

rabidhedgehog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 05:28:39 PM »
Also thought stock lighting was weak, underwhelming.  Recently swapped out all the old bulbs for LED units.  Massive improvement in light output.  Haven't noticed issues with heat. 

On the Like 200I, the headlight reflector and lens are fixed position (non-adjustable).  Changing bulb shouldn't have major effect on aim - output should fall/hit in same general position.  HOWEVER... there could be variation due to physical configuration of LED unit - shape and dimensions of body, placement/angle of LEDs. 

I got lucky with new LED headlight.  Results may vary for others.
Head light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092SHMWQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Silly questions are cheaper than stupid mistakes...
2017 Like 200i
2017 V-Strom

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »
Also thought stock lighting was weak, underwhelming.  Recently swapped out all the old bulbs for LED units.  Massive improvement in light output.  Haven't noticed issues with heat. 

On the Like 200I, the headlight reflector and lens are fixed position (non-adjustable).  Changing bulb shouldn't have major effect on aim - output should fall/hit in same general position.  HOWEVER... there could be variation due to physical configuration of LED unit - shape and dimensions of body, placement/angle of LEDs. 

I got lucky with new LED headlight.  Results may vary for others.
Head light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092SHMWQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Glad you like your new bulb.
Actually - that adjustment screw under the headlight cowl does move the beam up and down.
I don't know what is moving when you turn the screw - but it does move the beam.
Me - I'm still riding with the Philips MotoVison 'orange' bulb I put it there several years ago.

I like to think that with the orange tint the bears have an easier time seeing me coming.
Truth be told - I haven't hit one yet , I don't think.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 07:04:45 AM »
There are several possibilities to adjust our LIKEs headlight.
From outside vertical. Inside by adjusting those holding screws to the headlights standart.
(pls see pics)
On this LIKE the red LED H4 was installed more for estethical reasons.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 11:24:15 AM »
    I agree completely. I replaced the 2 halogen lamps on my X-Town 300 with LEDS also. The difference is amazing! Much greater visibility during the day and night. I also recommend changing the license plate bulb to LED. Much brighter and better rear end visibility.

Interesting Mike. Which bulbs did you go for in the headlamps?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rabidhedgehog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 03:49:23 PM »
There are several possibilities to adjust our LIKEs headlight.
From outside vertical. Inside by adjusting those holding screws to the headlights standart.

Well... damn.  Never noticed it before.  Cleaned cowling by hand when it was off - HOW did I not see that screw?!?

Thanks for the info.
Silly questions are cheaper than stupid mistakes...
2017 Like 200i
2017 V-Strom

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 05:18:18 PM »
So, I wasn't impressed with the stock halogen bulb on the Like 200i so I took a chance, going on a post I read somewhere, to use an H4 LED bulb.

The minus column points for the old bulb were:  •50% due to I feeling like I was out running the light all the time even at reasonable 30mph speeds, it seemed like I had to constantly be on guard to make a split second move to avoid anything that may suddenly appear. •30% felt like the standard light bulb color sort of "Blends In" too much, it might go un-noticed at a bad time by other drivers, a crisper white light seemed to be more visible to other drivers. •20% I wanted a very bright lamp on high beam setting that will really stand out, the stock bulb just wasn't really bright when on High.

My main fears when ordering was the High/Low beam patterns would be crap, or the lamp shape/interface would not match the stock socket.

Installation day. I read that I needed to take everything apart in the gauge/front headlight assembly, so I removed the mirrors and turn signal stalks. Once I got the 4 screws removed and putty knife pried (with a masking tape protection cover)  the 3 top clips to gain access, I realized I did not need at all to remove the mirrors or the stalks...dang, them mirrors are a pain. I was able to just carefully pull back on the gage cluster and access the bulb. The old one popped right out, but I had to loosen a little screw that holds the spring clip in place to rotate a small tab out of the way to allow the new bulb to go in. The new bulb fit right in place after that screw was loosened and I tightened it back up using a Phillips head drill bit in the box end of a 1/4 combo wrench since there was very little room to use a screw driver.  So, it was a relative drop in item as the 3 tabs matched perfectly, they were just a tad thicker being made of plastic instead of a thin gauge metal.
U
Plugged right in and lit up in high and low beam. So I put everything back together.

WOW. Much brighter, and the beam pattern while not perfect, lays out a very nice well lit large patch of road in front of me without being annoyingly bright to other drivers. High beam is just phenomenal, it really throws out a lot of light. The lamp color is sparkling bright white without being blue, so the color is perfect in my book. And if I should need to get someone's attention, the high beam would scream "Here I Am!!" I don't think even going 100 MPH that I would over run the high beam, it lights the road out to 100 yard and surroundings out to at least 200 yards.

I did use a phillips screw driver to adjust the angle of the beam till it seemed just right in the low beam setting, lighting up enough road in front of me to see well and not feel like I'm over running, The screw access hole is up under the head light, it takes some trial and error to get the screw driver angle right to engage the height adjustment screw. Once the low beam was good, the high seemed perfect too.

Overall, I'm super pleased. I'll try and get a photo of the low beam pattern, ironically, it's like a Bat signal being projected on the ground...but instead of a bat, it's a dead ringer for a Star Wars storm trooper!! I ride around with Vader's Theme ear worm echoing around in my head. Attached screenshot is the exact one I got from Amazon.
Excellent write up and got me all excited again to change to LED on the DT300i since that lighting is like everyone's consensus: underwhelming!

Some years back I experimented with LED replacements of the 35 watt halogens and was disappointed in beam pattern mainly. No matter which, high or low beam, it was a flood effect.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 07:42:12 PM »
What were the LED bulb numbers and source?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 12:01:02 AM »
I have the same concern, but keep 2 things to keep in mind. 1) Halogen bulbs are hot as Hades, and we don't give that much concern. 2) I'm pretty sure the amperage draw for the LED is less and therefore heat is lower. Here's an Article which says similar things.

Short answer, LEDs are cool.
I guess it is the fans and heat-sink straps that come with leds which gives me heat concerns.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()