Author Topic: light question  (Read 298 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
light question
« on: July 06, 2022, 05:58:09 PM »
   I installed new LED's and replaced the halogen headlights in my X-Town 300i. Very happy with the results. Now I just ordered a Shad light kit to mount on the Shad mounting bracket. I'm debating whether to wire it for running lights, or as a brake light. What are pros and cons of either?
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: light question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 06:15:40 PM »
As a running light it would simply augment what you already have for a tail light. That's a good thing though. When I rode my AK 550 home from the dealer I was riding with a buddy along the way for company. He followed me. I planned that.  ;D
He mentioned that the tail light on the AK was good by itself. This was before I added anything of course. But he also mentioned that the center 2 LED bars for the brake lights were bright but smaller than he would have wanted on his bike.
After I added a Knight Riderz LED tail/flashing brake light bar he followed me on my trip in May this year. He said that the tail light function of my added LED bar improved the tail light even better than it was. But the biggest difference was that the LED bar almost doubled the bright light of the brakes and made them a lot better than they were. That was in his words as he followed me (we were communicating via Sena BT headsets).

I don't know if the Shad LED bar is brighter than normal tail lights or as bright as the brake lights normally are. I also don't know if the Shad LED bar has dual mode running light and brake light (low intensity for running lights and high intensity for brakes). If your tail lights (running lights) are good then maybe you want a sudden added bright light bar that wasn't there until brakes are applied to catch attention.

Here is a link to a short video I made of my LED bar in action. The LED bar I added is below the stock tail light assembly. Maybe this will help with the decision.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CJpzXXDgpJtQLB3EA
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 06:57:51 PM »
I used an LED light bar from www.admorelighting.com.
Admore makes a bar that is a super bright running light and a even brighter brake like. Can also be wired for signaling turns.
Get all 3 functions in one light bar.
This brand is a wellknown accessory.
Running light mode as seen this morning...mounted under top case.

Stig
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 07:03:22 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 11:33:40 AM »
   I installed new LED's and replaced the halogen headlights in my X-Town 300i. Very happy with the results. Now I just ordered a Shad light kit to mount on the Shad mounting bracket. I'm debating whether to wire it for running lights, or as a brake light. What are pros and cons of either?

An interesting note. I just ordered this light kit from Shad UK. The invoice says $25.83 for the light and $19.99 for shipping. Total $45.82. On the Shad US site, it shows $46.99. Revzilla and Cycle gear both show $113.99. Interesting to see such a difference in price. Guess I got a good deal though!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()