Author Topic: Variator washer removed and new belt installed.  (Read 2254 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Variator washer removed and new belt installed.
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:15:18 AM »
Ok, so today I went and put  my new Gates belt on my Xciting.  I estimate it is well over 2mm wider than the stock Kymco belt which I believe has close to 12 thousand miles on it.  I'll assume the stock belt was worn that much.

I was having a difficult time putting the washer back in the variator soooooo. . . . I left it out.

Here's what I noticed.  My revs were way down for any given speed.  The clutch engaged at much lower rpm -- almost at idle.  Acceleration was much less peppy.  And there was a noise which I assume to be the belt which I could hear at idle and on deceleration.  

I did not clean the pulley faces -- maybe I should have.  

The CVT case got pretty hot in just a few miles of riding.

So tomorrow I'll put the washer back in and try it that way.   Will report what happens.  

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: Variator washer removed and new belt installed.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:29:26 AM »
I had read good things about those Gates belts. I hope tomorrow's report is better for ya Hoolander!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:59:46 AM »
Thanks, Rianna, and thanks for the PM.  :)  Yeah, all those things are bad except for the revs being down.  It was nice to be doing 60 or 65 with the engine not reving so high.  It's got me thinking again of tuning the CVT, which I've never done.  ::) 

I've got the Dr. Pulley HiT clutch which can be tuned many ways.  Also I could try some lighter sliders -- currently, I have stock weight sliders installed. 

One thing at a time.  :D

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:16:05 AM »
That one thing at a time is a good policy. I always have to do things at my own pace these days, which is slower than most folks. I'll tell ya though, I've got a lot more respect for all you guys who are always workin' on your scoot and adjusting things and modding things after I spent a few hours sitting on the cold floor messing with those brakes. Good luck with that washer tomorrow. And I hope your acceleration picks up as that new belt sets in!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 01:42:24 AM »
You put the washer back in, Hoolander?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:18:33 AM »
Hey, Rianna, yes, tiime for a report.  First I just put the washer back in -- noise went away and drive ratio came back down but still had the clutch engaging at near idle.  I guess has something to do with the wider new belt.  So today I put the old belt back on too.  Ha! 

With the new wider belt on I could swear I could feel every thump of the engine as it hit the pavement through the rear wheel.  Was performing fine but I went back to old belt for a smoother ride.

Next I'm gonna tune my clutch a little by installing some stronger springs and see how that goes with and without the washer/new/old belt, etc. 

I really ought to measure the old and new belt exactly to see how they measure up to the manual specs.  Will see about getting a metric ruler or calipers.  :D

And I'd like to say again that almost everything I know about these CVTs I learned right here from Zombie, Word, Shaka, JPres, etc. 

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 02:32:54 AM »
The smoother ride wins out every time. Those digital calipers are nice. I would like to have that in my tool box one day. Some tape measures have metric measurements. Those little folded up tape measures that come in sewing kits usually have metric on them also. But I figure the digital caliper thing will come in handy for many things on these scoots. Good luck with your clutch tuning!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
Next I'm gonna tune my clutch a little by installing some stronger springs and see how that goes with and without the washer/new/old belt, etc.

Hi, Hoolander. I'm just wondering how this experiment turned out if you tried it already. You may be waiting until spring, though. I thought that maybe I had read something about it elsewhere, in a different post, but I couldn't find it, so I thought I'd ask again. :)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
Hi, Rianna.  Waiting for spring, yep.  ;)  No further work done, no riding, battery is inside the house, fuel tank is full and winterized with double dose of StarTron.

My new tire is inside waiting to be put on. 

The subject came up in another thread where Dr. Pulley sliders were being discussed.  So, I did go out in the cool long enough to disassemble the variator to look at my sliders  -- I posted about that and mentioned the need to look at and change my clutch springs. 

I COULD put the battery in her and go for a ride if we get a nice day but wouldn't go far since I don't feel comfortable with that nearly slick rear tire.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:16:18 AM »
Ohhhhh...I did think that you posted about it somewhere, but I never would have thought to look for it under Dr. Pulley Sliders, even if hadn't been 3:30 in the morning. ;D

Yes, please do put that nice new tire on first, Hoolander. Your ride will be much more enjoyable then. Have a Great Day!! :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()