Author Topic: Engine replacement for 2008 bike  (Read 682 times)

chossy

• View Profile
Engine replacement for 2008 bike
« on: July 06, 2022, 07:30:57 PM »
Hi
I just got a pig of a bike as a project to work on with my daughter and it's a mess.
So i am looking to replace the engine as this looks like it may have a big bore kit on and been messed with.
Now i am a pit bike guy so all of this is new to me so bare with if if i get the names wrong.
I did try starting the bike but no joy, it seems to have a spark and fuel but i did notice the needle in the carb does not move when moving the throttle is this a normal thing to do with the electronic choke ?
I tried lifting it and squirted some fuel in but no joy so i am just going to give up and get a replacement engine for it.
Will a 2018 model engine fit it ?
There are a lot of missing vacuum pipes by the looks of things and some other probs with the lights and indicators that i need to go through with you guys at some point but my main concern at the moment is getting a new lump here ready to fit once its all stripped down.
Here are a couple of pics the carb look fairly new as shown in the attached pic, so i hope that's fine.
You can see this metal breather pipe has been cut and it looks like the place where it should connect is blanked off hence thinking it has a kit on it.
Finally on the case that has the kickstart on the is a 1 inch pipe missing as shown in the attached pics where would that attach ?

Yeah the instant gasket is nasty, and the blue wire is to jump start it as the starter relay is a no go.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Engine replacement for 2008 bike
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 07:53:30 PM »
I did try starting the bike but no joy, it seems to have a spark and fuel but i did notice the needle in the carb does not move when moving the throttle is this a normal thing to do with the electronic choke ?

Finally on the case that has the kickstart on the is a 1 inch pipe missing as shown in the attached pics where would that attach ?

welcome to the forum. sounds like you have a major project ahead of you! I can answer a few things...these scoots use a CV carb. The throttle only opens the butterfly, it doesn't move the needle. The butterfly opening will allow airflow in which in turn will raise the needle.

The open pipe on your cvt cover (by the kickstarter) is for a cooling air intake. There is usualy some little rubber intake boot on there but I don't think it makes any difference if it's on there or not.

It looks like someone butchered up the motor...parts are missing for the emissions and vacuum lines. Have you priced out a motor? Or located one?  Not sure how available they will be... Not a whole lot changes on these Kymco models so I bet motors from many different years would likely be interchangeable.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

chossy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 08:50:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply that clears a lot up, yeah it's a big project but should be fun.
I have found 2018 and 2020 engines although the 2020 has no kick start, i think i will take a punt on the 2018 looks like it should fit ok.

chossy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 04:38:26 PM »
welcome to the forum. sounds like you have a major project ahead of you! I can answer a few things...these scoots use a CV carb. The throttle only opens the butterfly, it doesn't move the needle. The butterfly opening will allow airflow in which in turn will raise the needle.

The open pipe on your cvt cover (by the kickstarter) is for a cooling air intake. There is usualy some little rubber intake boot on there but I don't think it makes any difference if it's on there or not.

It looks like someone butchered up the motor...parts are missing for the emissions and vacuum lines. Have you priced out a motor? Or located one?  Not sure how available they will be... Not a whole lot changes on these Kymco models so I bet motors from many different years would likely be interchangeable.

Ok i just managed to get this 2018 the seller said it would be compatible are those 2 silver/gold sensors what you said where missing ?
If so great but i will have to ask where they will connect to once it arrives.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »
chossy - I noticed the PAIR chrome pipe was cut off in your original pic and some vacuum hoses were missing. I'm not sure about your electrical connections on the 50cc (they appear different than on the 150cc motors). I recently removed, disassembled, re-assembled and installed my 163cc GY6 motor in my People S200.

My only electrical connections were the plug from the stator and the cable from the starter. My carb has a wire coming from the auto bystarter and another for my TPS (throttle position sensor, connected to my carb butterfly). I took pictures of my vacuum hose routing before disassembly..but the 50cc motors look different.

Hopefully some others come along with experience with the 50 cc motors. You may be able to get some answers elsewhere as I believe these are pretty typical Chinese 50cc GY6 motors.

Here's something I copied and pasted from another forum after doing a search for PAIR system..

Well EGR and PAIR system are TWO different things.

The PAIR system is the one with the Chrome pipe by the VALVE COVER, if that is what you are talking about that just sucks in fresh air and the only hose you have to block off is the VACUUM hose at it's origin. Then like you did block the hole by the head like you did using a plate. Then just pull the canister and the hoses out.

The EGR what that does is sends unburned fumes back through the carb to be reburned. On that one there is a valve WELDED on the pipe a hose goes to a canister or some valve which is ALSO VACUUM operated. But on that one a HOSE is connected between the CARB and the AIR FILTER. So on that one you block pull the hosee off the Valve welded on the pipe and BLOCK that connector(YOU CAN USE JB WELD TO BLOCK OFF THE CONNECTOR) then block the VACUUM LINE at is ORIGIN that is hooked up to the canistor or valve then pull the hose connected to the AIR TUBING going to the carb and BLOCK the CONNECTOR on the tubing and you then can pull all that stuff off.
Alleyoop

Here are the different EMISSIONS some scoots come with:
scooterdoc.proboards.com/thread/9153
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

chossy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 08:42:58 PM »
I am going to email the dealer i got the engine off and ask what those values/sensors are as it has 2 wires that are not on the current engine.
And see if i can sort it from there if not i will get that online subscription and speak to their tech team.
Thanks for all your help it's much appreciated.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 09:47:31 PM »
I am going to email the dealer i got the engine off and ask what those values/sensors are as it has 2 wires that are not on the current engine.
And see if i can sort it from there if not i will get that online subscription and speak to their tech team.
Thanks for all your help it's much appreciated.

please keep us updated as to your progress with the scoot. We'd all like to see a happy ending with this project.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

chossy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 10:33:41 AM »
Will do I wot give up on that old engine i will strip it as it looks like may have a kit on it & do a proper rebuild and see if i can get it running on a bench.
My new engine is here and that is different from the pics i posted from the advert.
This has the pairing system removed and the hole that is left is blanked off by default so possibly another kit on it ?
I will try and get it fitted this weekend and let you know how i get on.

chossy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 08:03:27 PM »
Yeah it runs, Manged to get it running but it blew the rear brake light and i can not put the bulb back in :(
The lights worked for about 20 seconds and now nothing so i will have to investigate that.
Does any one know what voltages i should get off the yellow and white wire from the magneto ?
Also how do i remove the rear light cluster so i can see why the buld wont twits and stay in ?

But at least it starts for now.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 05:53:19 AM »
If the fuses/lights blew, you have the wrong CDI ignition.  Typically an AC unit will blow the electrics.  It's not fatal, just change to the correct DC CDI, replace the fuses, etc, and everything should work.  The PAIR clean-air plumbing can be removed or by-passed with no consequence.  Doesn't seem to do anything.  On all this, of course, I'm just guessing.  I don't really know what machine this is, although it does look like a basic GY6 unit of some kind.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()