Author Topic: Help me decide on a scooter  (Read 5463 times)

scosgt

• View Profile
Re: Help me decide on a scooter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »
I am a SYM fan-boy and there is NO comparison between a People S 200 and a SYM HD 200 (I currently own both).
The People is OK for the city. The handling is fast and it feels light. It tops out at 60 MPH MAYBE, and I won't take mine on the highway.
The SYM HD 200 is a monster. It is fast like a sport bike. It does up to 75 MPH and holds the road on the highway. It is a totally different feel.

The Carter Bros situation is not a problem. my dealer sources parts from the KYMCO distributor in Canada, and you can also get parts from Taiwan in just a few days from Scooter Assassins. In fact, KYMCO parts take MUCH longer to get!

If you ride the People and the SYM, you will buy the SYM guaranteed.

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »
I'm a recent S8 convert...

I love it.  Lots of power, great looks...  Its awesome.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 01:08:25 AM »
Another quick question.  What kind of gas does Kymco recommend, premium or regular?
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 01:14:34 AM »
I am a SYM fan-boy and there is NO comparison between a People S 200 and a SYM HD 200 (I currently own both).
The People is OK for the city. The handling is fast and it feels light. It tops out at 60 MPH MAYBE, and I won't take mine on the highway.
The SYM HD 200 is a monster. It is fast like a sport bike. It does up to 75 MPH and holds the road on the highway. It is a totally different feel.

The Carter Bros situation is not a problem. my dealer sources parts from the KYMCO distributor in Canada, and you can also get parts from Taiwan in just a few days from Scooter Assassins. In fact, KYMCO parts take MUCH longer to get!

If you ride the People and the SYM, you will buy the SYM guaranteed.

I'm sure the Sym HD 200 is a great scooter but I don't believe there is a Sym dealer around here.  Also, I doubt that the price tag is in the same ballpark as the Kymcos I'm looking at.  I am really leaning towards the S8 which is 2200 OTD.  Add a tail trunk for $75 and a few bucks to upgrade the tool kit and I'll be on the road for around 2300-2400.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 02:11:28 AM »
Price-wise, the S8 is probably best bang for the buck.  You should always use premium on your bikes, it's not like you're filling up a Hummer. 

WT100

• 100 countries or bust, 74 so far.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 02:27:39 AM »
Price-wise, the S8 is probably best bang for the buck.  You should always use premium on your bikes, it's not like you're filling up a Hummer. 

That's what i love about these scoots.  You can give them the best of everythig, fuel, synthetic oil, great quality racing tires, etc and still not equal a few tanks of gas in the cage. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 02:48:51 AM »

I have never used premium in any of the bikes I have owned except my R1100GS which required it.  When you pump premium from a gas pump with only one hose, the first quarter gallon or so may be regular.  Not a big issue in a Hummer but when you only have a small tank to begin with, you will seldom actually be getting premium.  You will get a regular/premium mix.  Also, if an engine is designed to run on regular, premium will not make it run any better.  Premium has no more energy than regular, it only resists detonation and pre-ignition better.

What does the owners manual call for?
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 02:52:49 AM »
The owner's manual for which scoot, klaviator? There's a manual section here with links for some models.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 02:56:38 AM »
The owner's manual for which scoot, klaviator? There's a manual section here with links for some models.

I'm considering the S8 and P200.  I suspect the manual for both calls for regular but I didn't notice it when I briefly looked at the S8 owners manual.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 03:00:14 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure if we have the S8, I think one of them we don't have, can't remember for sure which one without doing a search for it. But most of the manuals seem to call for 93 octane and I hear that the octane ratings are different where they print the manuals so I won't try to tell ya the wrong thing.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 03:06:04 AM »
Yeah, but the way they calculate octane in Taiwan is different than here - so I think 93 octane there equals 87 here. 

But you'll want to check on that.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 03:20:17 AM »
Most modern high performance motorcycles run fine on regular.  BMW and HD twins require premium due to their large cylinders.  I know that many people run premiun because they think premium = higher performance.  I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to my question.  Does anyone have problems with 87 octane in their scooters or does everyone use a higher octane? 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 03:22:48 AM »
Does anyone have problems with 87 octane in their scooters or does everyone use a higher octane?

I seem to recall some discussion around that recently.... ;D

You know, some do use premium and some don't.   Haven't heard anyone have problems with using regular 87, but some feel that the premium stuff makes their scoot run better.

Matter of personal choice really.

birdmove

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 04:03:02 AM »
    My wife has a SYM HD200, and it is a scootin' machine! Freeways are no problem on that thing at all. The HD125 is supposed to be plenty potent for a 125 too. Where I live now there are dealers for both makers. Where I will be moving in a year or two there is only a Kymco dealer. I am actually thinking of getting my self a Super 8 150.

jon

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 04:51:06 AM »
theres a sym scooter out there called the rough horse I beleave they are 125. they are a good street bike and great off road.its like rideing a enduro dirt bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()