Author Topic: Traffic light problem  (Read 664 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Traffic light problem
« on: July 16, 2022, 08:07:58 PM »
   When I had my 600+ lb Harley I would have this problem occasionally. Now that I have a 400+ lb Kymco it happens more often. What happens is that the scooter isn't heavy enough to trigger the sensor in the road that changes the traffic light. You can sit there for several minutes, and the light doesn't change. I usually wait for 2 cycles, and then end up going through a red light. I don't know how kindly law enforcement will take to this if I ever get caught. Has this happened to anyone else?
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic light problem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 08:10:16 PM »
happens all the time...I just wait until it's clear and run the light. I figure if I ever get caught they'll be understanding.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »
the anarchist in me ignores the light
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 08:30:06 PM »
Most states in the USA have laws allowing you to run a red light. Normally after 3 cycles at least AND if the way is clear. Sometimes it's 10 minutes and if the way is clear. I think both of those apply in Iowa State Law IIRC (used to work for the state and spent some free time browsing the state code... your tax dollars at work).

BTW- it's not usually about the weight of the bike. Most traffic sensors are not weight triggered and don't have a weigh scale in the pavement. They are coils of wire usually in the shape of the lines cut in some pavement where the sensor was added. The metal mass of the vehicle, mainly the engine, is what triggers the sensor. I found that even with a lighter bike as I have now, with less metal mass, I can stop in a certain place over that wire loop and trigger the light. If I sit right in the middle of the loop or am not stopped over it at all then I sit. What amazes me is the cars and SUVs that stop way out into the intersection past the loop and they sit there longer than they should because they passed beyond the sensor where the planners didn't put one out into the intersection. If I stop with the main engine block sitting over the forward or rear diagonal wire line of the sensor I get better results.

Of course there are always one or two lights that just don't trigger unless the metal mass is as much as a SUV anyway so I revert to state law for waiting at the light.

Oh, and I did try the big magnet trick way back in 2001 but that was a bust. No difference using a large computer hard disk voice coil magnet... the kind that practically needs a crow bar to pull it off of stuff it attracts to (and then another one to pull it off the crow bar).
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 09:24:42 PM »
When I started riding motorcycle in the spring of 1960 the San Diego and socal traffic lights had these big, flat rubber insets that cars would trigger but a 400 pound motorcycle would not. So there I would be at 0200 on my way back to the ship stuck at a light with desolated streets in all directions. Jumping on those rubber bars was ineffective but tended to wake one up! I would then run the light rather than go to sleep waiting.

I tried the magnet which failed.....

There are optical sensors in places. Saw a bunch on the Colorado front range....

No change? Run it.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 09:48:15 PM »
almost all new lights have optical sensors, and more and more inductive sensors are being converted.

the inductive loops work like a metal detector at the beach.  Locally our DPW uses a bicycle to set the trigger sensitivity, some depts use the pickup truck they drove there.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 10:07:03 PM »
In Ohio lights are triggered by that metal wire rectangular box laid into the blacktop.
Weight has nothing to do with it here.
Picks up on the metal in your ride.

I have two lights that won't work for me....so I pull over and wait for a car to come, then fall in behind. Or cut through a muffler shop...on weekends.

I have one light I avoid altogether - after running it dead in front of a sheriff one morning. We chatted. He didn't site me.

Change your route - or trade for an H.D.!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:06:19 AM »
In Ohio lights are triggered by that metal wire rectangular box laid into the blacktop.

inductive sensors
RandyO
IBA#9560

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 03:54:12 AM »
I was just thinking about posting on this topic the other day. like Stig stated most of the lighgts in my area use inductive sensors. However there is one light where I live that still uses old fashoned senor pads and it is located right next to a school, whenever someone presses the crosswalk button to take their kid to school it takes forever for the light to change due to being on a timer. The school also has the ability to activate the flashing light that signals drivers to have a set speedlimit on school days. Here is a wikipedia article regarding the Inductive loop
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_loop#:~:text=Vehicle%20detection%20loops%2C%20called%20inductive,is%20installed%20in%20the%20pavement.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:06:00 AM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 04:09:14 AM »
Most states in the USA have laws allowing you to run a red light. Normally after 3 cycles at least AND if the way is clear. Sometimes it's 10 minutes and if the way is clear. I think both of those apply in Iowa State Law IIRC (used to work for the state and spent some free time browsing the state code... your tax dollars at work).

BTW- it's not usually about the weight of the bike. Most traffic sensors are not weight triggered and don't have a weigh scale in the pavement. They are coils of wire usually in the shape of the lines cut in some pavement where the sensor was added. The metal mass of the vehicle, mainly the engine, is what triggers the sensor. I found that even with a lighter bike as I have now, with less metal mass, I can stop in a certain place over that wire loop and trigger the light. If I sit right in the middle of the loop or am not stopped over it at all then I sit. What amazes me is the cars and SUVs that stop way out into the intersection past the loop and they sit there longer than they should because they passed beyond the sensor where the planners didn't put one out into the intersection. If I stop with the main engine block sitting over the forward or rear diagonal wire line of the sensor I get better results.

Of course there are always one or two lights that just don't trigger unless the metal mass is as much as a SUV anyway so I revert to state law for waiting at the light.

Oh, and I did try the big magnet trick way back in 2001 but that was a bust. No difference using a large computer hard disk voice coil magnet... the kind that practically needs a crow bar to pull it off of stuff it attracts to (and then another one to pull it off the crow bar).

Here is an example of the coiled wires inside the pavement
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 09:06:59 AM »
   When I had my 600+ lb Harley I would have this problem occasionally. Now that I have a 400+ lb Kymco it happens more often. What happens is that the scooter isn't heavy enough to trigger the sensor in the road that changes the traffic light. You can sit there for several minutes, and the light doesn't change. I usually wait for 2 cycles, and then end up going through a red light. I don't know how kindly law enforcement will take to this if I ever get caught. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thank you everyone for the response. I'll have to check New York State law for their take on it.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 12:11:26 PM »
I'll make a legal right on red, then a u-turn at the 1st safe opportunity, then another right at the original intersection.
Be careful about u-turns at red lights, though.  In some states it is illegal and I recently got a ticket ($261 !).
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 04:00:45 PM »
Here is an example of the coiled wires inside the pavement

that type, the induction loop, is being gradually phased out in favor of photo sensors that can turn everything red except the direction of an oncoming emergency vehicle
RandyO
IBA#9560

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 11:48:51 PM »
that type, the induction loop, is being gradually phased out in favor of photo sensors that can turn everything red except the direction of an oncoming emergency vehicle

Where I live our county still uses the induction loop
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 12:09:53 AM »
Where I live our county still uses the induction loop

still mostly induction loops here too, but switching over gradually
RandyO
IBA#9560