Author Topic: How often do you check your oil?  (Read 520 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
How often do you check your oil?
« on: July 20, 2022, 03:15:08 PM »
I check mine after every ride.
I let it sit in the drive on the center stand while I change out of my gear - come out in a few mins with a paper towel and check the oil "per the manual."
One scoot I wipe the dip-stick, screw all the way home, remove and check; the Kymco, remove and wipe, set stick in the opening, remove and look at it.

Owner's manual tells you which way to do it.

Stig

really dislike oil "windows'!! (off center-stand, hold level, sit on or sit off?!, kneel down in the puddle and look in that dark hole...some use a mirror on a stick, some use a trained monkey)

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you check your oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 03:29:44 PM »
On my CTX1300 the sight glass was buried behind the rear brake pedal master cylinder. Well, not directly behind but you did have to look past that into the "stuff" a ways to see it. Many owners learned to sit on the bike to hold it upright and use their cell phones to take a selfie of the sight glass. Kind of like using a mirror on a stick. I used my cell phone sometimes. I do have a large inspection mirror on an extended handle. But most often I simply put the bike with the side stand on a 2x4 layed flat to see what it showed. This was after confirming the level using my phone and then comparing where it was on the side stand so then I just inspected while the bike was on the side stand after that.

On any new-to-me bike I initially inspect every time I ride until I am convinced that the bike is very consistent and then I gradually check less often... more like once a week or every two weeks and there has been no change in level between oil changes. The AK is the same way to check as you mention: pull out the dip stick and wipe it off, then insert back into the opening without screwing it in, pull it out to check level.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 03:55:33 PM »
Every time, first on pre-start checklist.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »
Every time, first on pre-start checklist.
You know Karl, if I wasn't out there in the cold and dark getting aboard....I'd probably look at my dip sticks. Easier when I get home...in daylight.
I never skip it.
Now .....checking the tires.....not so good at...and at my cruising speeds maybe not so critical.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 07:06:13 AM »
OK Stig ya got me. Not that often. Maybe every 250 miles or so?  Why so infrequent? It’s always full when I check; absolutely no loss between 1,000 mile oil changes!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()