Author Topic: Kymco Xciting  (Read 564 times)

Vanquishor

• View Profile
Kymco Xciting
« on: July 21, 2022, 06:11:47 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been browsing for a while. I bought an Xciting S 400 new in February 2021 and have loved it. It's really made me more comfortable going out on longer trips.

When checking my tyre pressures today I noticed there seems to have been some oil, I'm assuming transmission oil given the location, that has seeped out as the area around it seems a bit greasy. There's no oil on the ground or anything but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this or whether this amount is normal. I'll try to attach some picture to show what I mean.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Robert

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Kymco Xciting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 06:32:17 PM »
@Vanquishor, welcome here in this circle.
Not 100% deep in Xcitings.

But this an indicator hole,
means:
IF transmission oil is seeping out there,
your oils seal between gear and wheel around this driveshaft is leaking.

Not a big deal to change, works when your rear wheel is off.
Pic is from a different scoot, but yours looks similar, when the wheel's off.
If you need some more info, just ask.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 06:41:29 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 09:05:37 PM »
Another photo please from a bit further away....to show where you found this oil?
Maybe a seep and then blown to rear from airfilter box ( which sometimes collects oil blowback mist)
Leakage and blown back from puke tube?
Possible to check gear oil level?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 11:31:27 PM »
And welcome to the forum..

Vanquishor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 11:49:37 PM »
@Vanquishor, welcome here in this circle.
Not 100% deep in Xcitings.

But this an indicator hole,
means:
IF transmission oil is seeping out there,
your oils seal between gear and wheel around this driveshaft is leaking.

Not a big deal to change, works when your rear wheel is off.
Pic is from a different scoot, but yours looks similar, when the wheel's off.
If you need some more info, just ask.

That sounds slightly concerning. It's still under warranty so I guess I'll have to have it looked at. I just wasn't completely sure it wasn't a potential overfill after the last service or some innocuous.

Thanks for the reply :)

Robert

Vanquishor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 11:59:48 PM »
Another photo please from a bit further away....to show where you found this oil?
Maybe a seep and then blown to rear from airfilter box ( which sometimes collects oil blowback mist)
Leakage and blown back from puke tube?
Possible to check gear oil level?

Stig

Apologies for the poor picture. I was struggling to get a picture that fit the 1mb requirement. It's basically at the rear of the transmission case. That's the wheel you can just see at the right of the picture.

I'll confess I don't know how to check the transmission oil level on this bike. On my previous bike, a vespa GTS 250 there was a dipstick to check but there's no dipstick on the xciting.

I'm hoping it's something minor as you suggested as the bike runs completely fine.

The plot thickens I guess!

Thanks for the reply :)

Robert

Vanquishor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 12:01:53 AM »
And welcome to the forum..

Thanks so much!

Vanquishor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 12:21:46 AM »
Hope this picture helps. The original pic was from the underside of the circled area.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 06:52:11 AM »
I think from that second picture we can rule out the puke tube Robert.  Could it be seeping from the filler opening just above? If so, maybe overfilled as you wondered?  Your suggestion of checking in with your dealer seems a good one. Again, welcome to the forum.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Vanquishor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 01:13:43 PM »
I think from that second picture we can rule out the puke tube Robert.  Could it be seeping from the filler opening just above? If so, maybe overfilled as you wondered?  Your suggestion of checking in with your dealer seems a good one. Again, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply Neil. I'll try to have a better look at it at some point today.

I've managed to find the service manual for the Xciting S and found this. Overfilling definitely seems like a potential cause especially given how awkward the refilling procedure is.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »
Well, three things I would consider...

A)seeing my dealer, if still under warranty

B)having seen alot of wrong indications on KYMCO manuals, I would fathom an overfill...until this filler plug...

C)not let my dealer tell me it's nothing, cuz YOU pay for a gear repair after warranty

My personal opinion is still a leaking oilseal, which is easy done in a workshop and costs them near to nothing.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 08:35:11 PM »
   Welcome to the forum Vanquishor! If you are a DIY'er, and are going to keep the Xciting for a while, I suggest you look into a Cyclopedia manual for it. Lots of info with pictures for maintaining your scooter.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Vanquishor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 10:30:12 PM »
Thanks Ruffus.

I'm definitely planning a dealer visit but I wanted to get a better understanding of potential causes as I can see a dealer trying to brush it off as you said. Especially as a warranty repair.

Vanquishor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 10:32:29 PM »
Thanks Mr Mike. I'm definitely a DIYer and did all the servicing on my vespa GTS. As it's under warranty I'm leaving the servicing to the dealer atm but once my warranty is up I'll be looking closer at those manuals!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()