Author Topic: X-Town Scooter Seat Comfort  (Read 794 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
X-Town Scooter Seat Comfort
« on: July 30, 2022, 09:48:03 AM »
Just looking at the humongous seat on my X-Town you’d assume it’s very comfortable. And up to about an hour at a time it is. We’ve had both wife and daughter’s cars off the road this week so my bike & scooter have been our sole forms of transport, often two up. It’s meant I’ve done a lot of riding (and no, I didn’t sabotage the cars!) so have had ample opportunity to assess comfort.

As I say, up to an hour the scooter is fine, but then I start shifting on the seat. I know a lot of you guys Stateside use Air Hawks & the like, but has anyone gone the reupholster route to address comfort and if so, with what degree of success?  I did this with one of my Triumph Daytonas with real success and I’m tempted to try and repeat it with the X-Town.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 10:45:44 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter Seat Comfort
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 10:53:43 AM »
Just looking at the humongous seat on my X-Town you’d assume it’s very comfortable. And up to about an hour at a time it is. We’ve had both wife and daughter’s cars off the road this week so my bike & scooter have been our sole forms of transport, often two up. It’s meant I’ve done a lot of riding (and no, I didn’t sabotage the cars!) so have had ample opportunity to assess comfort.

As I say, up to an hour the scooter is fine, but then I start shifting on the seat. I know a lot of you guys Stateside use Air Hawks & the like, but has anyone gone the reupholster route to address comfort and if so, with what degree of success?  I did this with one of my Triumph Daytonas with real success and I’m tempted to try and repeat it with the X-Town.

I wish I could sit back several more inches on my seat. I'm 5'10" and 3 or 4 more inches would be a lot more comfortable riding for me. Keep me posted on this, and I may try to get my seat modified over the winter.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 11:00:53 AM »

I wish I could sit back several more inches on my seat. I'm 5'10" and 3 or 4 more inches would be a lot more comfortable riding for me. Keep me posted on this, and I may try to get my seat modified over the winter.

I know Stig had this issue with his Like 200 and was able to modify his seat to allow for more leg room. He’s 6’ 4” if I recall correctly!  I’m sure he’ll be along here soon…

Edit: also see:  https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=28870.msg200698#msg200698

If I do go down the reupholstery route, it’ll likely be winter for me too, but I will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 11:06:13 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:07:38 PM »
I spoke with a couple local motorcycle shops....got no leads on fixing my LIKE200I seat.
So  bought a spare seat from a wrecked LIKE50 on ebay....took a shot at it myself.
Probably should have taken it to a seat cover shop to have s new cover put over my foam rebuild....for better appearance.
But MAN is it more comfortable than the stock seat!! (which is safely stored in the closet...for the next owner, after I go in for that big Final Service some day)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 01:02:44 AM »
I have 5 bikes.  Only one has a stock seat that is comfortable.  I have ridden 300 mile days on my Like 150i with the stock seat.  I have an Airhawk seat cushion on my Versys.  The stock seat is a weapon of Ass Destruction.  I don't think i could comfortably ride it for 5 minutes in stock form.  I put a seat concepts seat on my KLX250.  My Majesty and ADV150 both have gel seat pads on them.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 07:53:24 AM »
My Majesty and ADV150 both have gel seat pads on them.

Interesting Klav. From my research I’ve found a company in the NE of England who will inlay gel pads to the stock seat so I’ve asked them for a quote on that solution.  Back in the 90’s I had Corbin seats on a ZX-9R and my first Daytona. Good for 500 mile days, but sadly they don’t manufacture for scooters - with the exception of Vespa I think.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 10:06:38 AM »
Update:  Well after the other week  I now know that I can do 3+ hours in the saddle with no permanent damage!

Still looking for a better ride comfort though and as the reupholstery company never got back to me, as an interim measure I’ve invested £15 in a gel pad to try which arrived at the weekend. It’s now strapped on, so I’ll let you know how well it works.   Edit:  First ride with the gel pad tells me two things straight away:
1.  Most importantly it does make for a more comfortable ride which augurs well for a reupholstered seat with gel pad inlays which would address the other thing...
2.  The add on gel pad raises the seat height by just under 25 mm (1") which is not a deal breaker for me with a 32" inseam, but might be a problem for others?

Makes me want to try again to find a seat upholsterer who can help me in my quest for the most comfortable X-Town seat available!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:08:45 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 02:47:17 PM »
Update:  Well after the other week  I now know that I can do 3+ hours in the saddle with no permanent damage!

Still looking for a better ride comfort though and as the reupholstery company never got back to me, as an interim measure I’ve invested £15 in a gel pad to try which arrived at the weekend. It’s now strapped on, so I’ll let you know how well it works.   Edit:  First ride with the gel pad tells me two things straight away:
1.  Most importantly it does make for a more comfortable ride which augurs well for a reupholstered seat with gel pad inlays which would address the other thing...
2.  The add on gel pad raises the seat height by just under 25 mm (1") which is not a deal breaker for me with a 32" inseam, but might be a problem for others?

Makes me want to try again to find a seat upholsterer who can help me in my quest for the most comfortable X-Town seat available!

I see a problem here.....when you slip into your speedo at your new beach house - your dimpled caboose is going to be the talk of the village!
I have never heard anyone continue to look for seat comfort after purchasing an Airhawk pad. You DO have to inflate it correctly for it to work properly.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 04:28:21 PM »
I think my Speedo days are long gone Stig. Wouldn’t want to scare the horses!  As for an Air Hawk, I may take another look at that as a possible solution.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 11:06:53 PM »
I think my Speedo days are long gone Stig. Wouldn’t want to scare the horses!  As for an Air Hawk, I may take another look at that as a possible solution.
I've seen several riders using what looks like the late family cat.
I can't do that, and whoopie cushions of any kind are too like hemorrhoid rings to my eye.
Not the image I want to put forth.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 01:32:03 AM »
The AirHawk will cost a tad bit more that the gel pad, but I think your will find you like it better too. You will b e able to play with the amount of air in the bladder to find the right inflation point to satisfy your keister.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 02:17:38 AM »
I'm not finding my AK550 seat uncomfortable at all. Ergonomics is another story, I'm used to riding a standard riding position, feet on pegs under your torso with your torso canted forward slightly.  The AK is closer to a forward control cruiser, all my body weight is supported by my spine instead of sharing it with my legs & arms.   The little lumbar nub helps some, a back rest would help more
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 05:33:49 AM »

Not the image I want to put forth.
Stig

Stig, concerned about image?!  Don't believe it.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 05:35:21 AM »
The AirHawk will cost a tad bit more that the gel pad, but I think your will find you like it better too. You will b e able to play with the amount of air in the bladder to find the right inflation point to satisfy your keister.

Don't know about the prices in US Manc, but here they're over £100!  For that, I reckon I can get gel inserts AND a recover of the seat.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 05:37:07 AM »
I'm not finding my AK550 seat uncomfortable at all. Ergonomics is another story, I'm used to riding a standard riding position, feet on pegs under your torso with your torso canted forward slightly.  The AK is closer to a forward control cruiser, all my body weight is supported by my spine instead of sharing it with my legs & arms.   The little lumbar nub helps some, a back rest would help more

Randy I do concur.  It's weight solely on the spine which leads to my discomfort after a few hours.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()