Author Topic: Kymco like 200i won't crank.  (Read 2214 times)

Rusty4589

• View Profile
Re: Kymco like 200i won't crank.
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2022, 04:57:23 AM »
It's a 14mm, and with the spark plug removed the engine will spin easily....0 compression.
I've adjusted my LIKE200I valves this was many times....why?..because it puts you on same side of engine which has the port for observing your TDC timing mark!
IF engine does not spin freely - Stop!
Might be seized !....which will be the first recorded case of a seized engine on a LIKE200I on this forum!......and I should have believed this man from the get go🙃
OP...do as you see fit.

Stig

So uhh, looks like i might be the first case. I took out the spark plug and tried to rotate the 14mm plastic nut. It wouldn't budge. So i took off the CVT cover and tried the 17mm CVT nut and it was only allowing it me to make a minor turn. I did try to start the bike and actually heard it try to turn over for a microsecond. Looks to be a possible case of a seized engine.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2022, 12:50:06 PM »
Well, sorry t hear that Rusty
Could you describe as fully as possible what you were doing when it quit on you.
Going up a hill...really long hill"...wide open throttle?....very hot day?....using decent brand of fuel?....been riding very long that day?

OK....I'm no engine rebuild expert of any kind....but, I would remove the valve cover and look at things there. Anything obviously out of order?
This sounded dumb to me - but was tried with success by an owner with an engine which had tightened up on him, and shut off.
He put a small amount of oil into the cylinder via the spark plug hole. Replaced the spark plug, let it sit for a few hours - hit the start button and it turned over and started - with a good bit of smoke until the oil cleared.

Kick that around with some of your engine friends - don't take my advice on something like that.

Probably doesn't make you feel any better - but I'm pretty certain that yours is the first report of a non-50CC Kymco engine which has done this.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Rusty4589

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2022, 02:26:49 PM »
Well, sorry t hear that Rusty
Could you describe as fully as possible what you were doing when it quit on you.
Going up a hill...really long hill"...wide open throttle?....very hot day?....using decent brand of fuel?....been riding very long that day?

OK....I'm no engine rebuild expert of any kind....but, I would remove the valve cover and look at things there. Anything obviously out of order?
This sounded dumb to me - but was tried with success by an owner with an engine which had tightened up on him, and shut off.
He put a small amount of oil into the cylinder via the spark plug hole. Replaced the spark plug, let it sit for a few hours - hit the start button and it turned over and started - with a good bit of smoke until the oil cleared.

Kick that around with some of your engine friends - don't take my advice on something like that.

Probably doesn't make you feel any better - but I'm pretty certain that yours is the first report of a non-50CC Kymco engine which has done this.

Stig

Hey Stig,

I live in Washington, and this particular hill has a pretty decent incline and is about 2.5 miles long. Throttle was wide open and the weather was probably about 70. Keep in mind i am a bigger guy myself. Fuel was decent. Had filled up at shell. Everything under the valve cover looks nice and clean. Cams look smooth (No gouges) something just seems to stopping the motor from moving foward. though it does move if i rotate clockwise. I feel like i have a bent valve.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2022, 03:08:13 PM »
Next step:
-fan cover off
-CVT (front part) completely off
-sparkplug out
-valve cover off

Now I would remove the scooters middle plastic parts.

-check whether something is blocked either on fan side or at cams
-turn loose both valve adjustment studs
-spray some thin oil into cylinder
-put CVT nut on and try fore and back

Has there been enough motoroil in it when it stalled?
If not, your main bearings are most probably finished.
If there was enough oil, your piston/pistonrings could cause this blockage.
Not a big deal, just a new piston, rings and gaskets.
This cylinder is very durable, because of its coating, and mostly not demaged
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()