Author Topic: Too light?  (Read 1148 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Too light?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 12:11:12 PM »
No, they don't. And getting the belt as high as you can in the variator is not how you get the best speed or performance out of a scooter. That's your typical Youtube scooter guru tuning tip, like telling someone to use a sharpie on their variator and see how high the belt is going. Because it sounds good if you don't know anything about what's supposed to happen in a variator. What you want to do is find a roller weight, and not a slider, that allows the bike to stay in the powerband, not just under it like typical Honda/Kymco roller weight setups, and not blasting through it to the rev limiter, which happens when you use rollers that are too light, and carry the belt all the way out as the bike accelerates. Dr. Pulley sliders do well in markets where people know absolutely nothing about tuning transmissions, but aren't well regarded in Europe or by people who know about tuning scooter transmissions. The concept has been around a lot longer than Dr Pulley, and if it was better than rollers, and did what people claim, every OEM would have adopted them by now. Piaggio did, for about six months in their 850 scooter. It was a disaster. One thing their ability to last a long time does is wear variators out prematurely.  If the idea is to make a roller that doesn't wear out, why not make them out of steel? Because if the roller/slider isn't wearing, what do you think is?
If you want to learn how this stuff really works, get a good performance variator, a few sets of weights, and a couple of different contra springs and figure out how they work together, and what the best combination is for your particular riding situation. And if you take advise from someone who tells you to use two different weights in the variator, or remove half the weights, you are taking advice from someone who learned everything they know about scooter tuning on youtube or internet forums and not by putting the work in.
It is hard for me to differentiate between youtube experts and internet experts.
My brother used to tell people that I was dumb. But that didn't make it true, necessarily.
Then he proved it🙃

No disrespect intended....but these days ....it's a problem.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Too light?
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 12:12:00 PM »
@KymcoRockr, I do not quite agree with your generally spread assumptions concerning learning from youtube, internet forum gurus and other...
Pls check out this link below... gives some insight how roller/sliders work.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=30655.msg214654#msg214654

In any training (profession whatsoever), additionally to "hands on", you do it nowadays with the help of forums and youtube clips.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()