Author Topic: Too light?  (Read 1145 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Too light?
« on: August 04, 2022, 12:12:30 PM »
     I want to get better acceleration from my X-Town 300i. Has anyone had the variator apart on their X-Town? I would like to know for sure what weight the stock rollers are. I bought a new set of Dr. Pulley sliders for mine. I thought they were 16g, but I just weighed them, and they are 15g. I don't want to go too light and kill all my top end. I don't want to pull the variator apart until I know for sure. I believe the stock rollers are part # MF-2-2-16, but I'm not sure that means 16g or not. If so, then 1g lighter would be just what I want.

Just saw the chart posted in the forum. It says my stock rollers are 17.5g. If so, how much top end will the 15g sliders kill?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 12:16:17 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Too light?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 01:40:03 PM »
I was informed (reprimanded) by a Vespa mechanic for my belief that a lighter roller with give better acceleration ...but at the expense of a few MPH's at the top end.
"Better acceleration but lower top speed."...I thought.

He said I was dead wrong. That a lighter weight roller will improve both the acceleration and the top speed.

Which kinda makes me wonder why the manufacturers don't know that?

anyway - you won't know if those weights will suit your riding style, unless you try them.
Stig

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:42:25 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 04:24:50 PM »
When I installed Dr. Pulley sliders on my Like I went 1gm lighter than the stock rollers and got better acceleration and top speed. The sliders ride higher in the variator ramps due to their shape so the belt rides higher as well.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 07:29:09 PM »
   I know lighter will give me better performance. I did it on my 2012 GTI 300 and was very happy with the results. I'm just concerned that if the stock rollers are in fact 17.5g, and I go to a 15g slider it may be too much on the X-Town. I already bought them, so I'll just try them and see. I just hate doing the same job twice if they don't work out!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 08:26:12 PM »
When I installed Dr. Pulley sliders on my Like I went 1gm lighter than the stock rollers and got better acceleration and top speed. The sliders ride higher in the variator ramps due to their shape so the belt rides higher as well.

Good point Blue.
Dr P 'sliders' are known for that ....rollers , I don't know if they truly do the same on both ends as the sliders.

Stig.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 09:27:18 PM »
I went 1 gram lighter with sliders on my S200 with better acceleration but no real difference in top speed. I went 3 grams lighter with sliders on my Helix 24 gr down to 21 gr (23 and 22 gr were sold out, everywhere). Better initial acceleration but no change to top speed.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 10:14:40 PM »
       Thank you all for your input. Once I get a few more miles, I will do an acceleration and top speed run. Then I will tear the variator down and get an accurate weight on the stock rollers. Then I'll install the Dr Pulley 15g sliders and do an acceleration and top end run for comparison. I'll let everyone know the results.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 12:07:27 AM »
My issue with lighter roller weights, and too light sliders, is the increased engine speeds at same over the road speeds.
I don't like listening to my engine spinning higher for no reason.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 08:02:16 AM »
You do technically lose potential top end speed that you would probably never reach with the OEM rollers.
The trick is that you really will reach the actual top end with the lighter ones.

DPs vs. rollers.  I have two almost identical bikes, & ran 1g light sliders and rollers in 'em side by side.
1g lighter was definitely the right thing for this bike (SYM HD200), but there was marked difference throughout the range with the rollers vs. sliders.
As you'd expect the top end with the rollers was definitely getting pretty revved up, but the sliders really aren't too bad.
Off the line.  The punch of the rollers was markedly different from and a bit quicker than the sliders.
MPG - sliders are enough better to notice but not enough better to worry about much.
After running 'em like that for a bit I eventually bought a second set of sliders.

Of note, on my old S200 even running OEM weight DP sliders eliminated the annoying dead spot it had in the 30-35 mph range.

...He said I was dead wrong. That a lighter weight roller will improve both the acceleration and the top speed.
anyway - you won't know if those weights will suit your riding style, unless you try them.
Stig
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 12:12:14 PM »
I have had 11 new maxi rubber band drive scooters, over 400,000 miles with them.  Stock, Honda/Kymco/Suzuki/Daelim   all ok, why monkey with them? Just ride  Want performance other than scooter, get a proper motorcycle

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 01:08:22 PM »
I have had 11 new maxi rubber band drive scooters, over 400,000 miles with them.  Stock, Honda/Kymco/Suzuki/Daelim   all ok, why monkey with them? Just ride  Want performance other than scooter, get a proper motorcycle

Yes, but you know with some folks, monkeying with ‘em is half the fun.  Me ? I prefer riding too.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 04:12:00 PM »
Yes, but you know with some folks, monkeying with ‘em is half the fun.  Me ? I prefer riding too.
I was like that first 5 yrs or so....now I prefer to stay off my knees and ride it.
Fortunately I have 2 very reliable, easy to maintain scooters so I can stay off of my knees.

taught my daughter to say "don'tfoolwidit" when she was just little....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 10:30:27 PM »
Lighter = better acceleration and top speed (or at least no loss)?  But w higher revs?  Would that shorten the engine life?
That would explain why mfgrs don't install lighter rollers...

I'm perfectly happy w the Cali's acceleration and top speed (w stock rollers), higher mpg would make me consider sliders. 
Dealer said they were more of a racing thing.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 12:07:53 PM »
Dealer said they were more of a racing thing.

Where engine longevity is not the main concern!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 09:42:34 AM »
No, they don't. And getting the belt as high as you can in the variator is not how you get the best speed or performance out of a scooter. That's your typical Youtube scooter guru tuning tip, like telling someone to use a sharpie on their variator and see how high the belt is going. Because it sounds good if you don't know anything about what's supposed to happen in a variator. What you want to do is find a roller weight, and not a slider, that allows the bike to stay in the powerband, not just under it like typical Honda/Kymco roller weight setups, and not blasting through it to the rev limiter, which happens when you use rollers that are too light, and carry the belt all the way out as the bike accelerates. Dr. Pulley sliders do well in markets where people know absolutely nothing about tuning transmissions, but aren't well regarded in Europe or by people who know about tuning scooter transmissions. The concept has been around a lot longer than Dr Pulley, and if it was better than rollers, and did what people claim, every OEM would have adopted them by now. Piaggio did, for about six months in their 850 scooter. It was a disaster. One thing their ability to last a long time does is wear variators out prematurely.  If the idea is to make a roller that doesn't wear out, why not make them out of steel? Because if the roller/slider isn't wearing, what do you think is?
If you want to learn how this stuff really works, get a good performance variator, a few sets of weights, and a couple of different contra springs and figure out how they work together, and what the best combination is for your particular riding situation. And if you take advise from someone who tells you to use two different weights in the variator, or remove half the weights, you are taking advice from someone who learned everything they know about scooter tuning on youtube or internet forums and not by putting the work in.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()