Author Topic: Enforced Layoff from Scootering  (Read 766 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Enforced Layoff from Scootering
« on: August 05, 2022, 01:20:00 PM »
So just back from my last ride for a while now, as the wife and I are off for a week away and it’s got me to thinking about these forced layoffs. When staying away from home does anyone else drive the car around scenic routes inwardly cursing that they are not on their scooter for these particular roads?  I must be completely transparent as my wife frequently says to me I bet you wish you were on your scooter for these bendy roads?

I do find myself thinking such thoughts all the time, particularly because some of the roads in question are ones I have not ridden on my scooter and would dearly love to.  We travel frequently to an area of England in Yorkshire which boasts some terrific roads and I really must find an excuse to get up there one day on the scooter.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Enforced Layoff from Scootering
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 01:45:04 PM »
I see what you mean. Good for you - those bendy bits.
That would not suit me at all.
Ever since the first day I rode a motorcycle in and around Los Angeles as an 18 yr old I've enjoyed looking at the things around me most.
(I was once a passenger on a Honda when my bud, too, was enjoying the mountainous views in the San Gabriel's rather too much ....and rode us off a cliff! Might not have been so dramatic except I was carrying 4 gal. of white house paint on my knees)

I prefer wide open spaces - with distant horizons* - and straight roads because , other than watching for deer, I don't pay too much attention to them!

Not a drop of GP blood in me.

Have your navigator take some snaps for us~!

Stig

*I really disliked my visits to the far N.W. USA....all those trees . Like driving in a tunnel all the time!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 03:06:37 PM »
You don’t fancy scratching round Colorado or Kentucky then? 😂
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 04:04:48 PM »
You don’t fancy scratching round Colorado or Kentucky then? 😂

KY has lovely horse farms.
Don't remember much about Colorado....'cept my mom was always killing rattlers out in the garage when dad retired.. Happened so often she wouldn't even bother my dad to get the shovel. Both dogs were bitten, one time or another.
Get this - my dad owned a 32' sailboat in the middle of Colorado. A navigator in the AirForce for 30 yrs - taught himself sailing. Likes to hunt - so Florida was out.....until my mom put both feet down after a decade. Then they moved to the Gulf coast so she could see the ocean out the windows. (we lived on Florida's Atlantic coast for 7 yrs as a kid)

Even my wife commented about the canyons of trees in Wash state.....grumpy SIL lives out there. Visited her by mistake twice.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 10:41:50 PM »
When staying away from home does anyone else drive the car around scenic routes inwardly cursing that they are not on their scooter for these particular roads? 

Oh yeah, big time.  Had it bad in western Tennessee and N Cal (Sonoma, Sebastapol). 
Going to Italy in a couple months, expect it to be an issue there as well.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 02:03:57 AM »
As my wife has been blind for the last 20+ years, I no longer have the luxury of looking at the scenery when traveling - too busy just getting from point A to point B. But I do understand the concept. It just makes the times that I can ride more special.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 12:02:34 PM »

Going to Italy in a couple months, expect it to be an issue there as well.

You’ll need to look up Ruffus then!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 12:04:02 PM »
I know what you mean Mancashire. Riding time is special.  We’re lucky to have it.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 04:06:12 PM »
You’ll need to look up Ruffus then!
Plan to, we'll be in the area.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 06:33:31 PM »
New England coastline is quite beautiful this time of year. Love the breeze, sounds and smell of the ocean. I will have to upload some pics soon. I love riding the Ocean Drive around Newport, RI, although it has been a little hot lately

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 07:18:13 PM »
So just back from my last ride for a while now, as the wife and I are off for a week away and it’s got me to thinking about these forced layoffs. When staying away from home does anyone else drive the car around scenic routes inwardly cursing that they are not on their scooter for these particular roads?  I must be completely transparent as my wife frequently says to me I bet you wish you were on your scooter for these bendy roads?

I do find myself thinking such thoughts all the time, particularly because some of the roads in question are ones I have not ridden on my scooter and would dearly love to.  We travel frequently to an area of England in Yorkshire which boasts some terrific roads and I really must find an excuse to get up there one day on the scooter.

I have the same problem. My wife only works 20 hour a week, so she's home a lot. She won't ride on the scooter or let me buy her one. I feel guilty going riding while she sits at home, but would sure like to ride more.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 10:01:33 PM »

I have the same problem. My wife only works 20 hour a week, so she's home a lot. She won't ride on the scooter or let me buy her one. I feel guilty going riding while she sits at home, but would sure like to ride more.
Get out early. Start before sunrise.
Ride 2 to 3 hours....get home. She'll still be in her jammies.
For yrs I played(walked) 18 holes of golf most Saturdays by being early to the course. Was home by 10am. Wife and 4 kids were still in their jammies....kept up my hobby while not taking time from the family.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 09:07:25 AM »
Just a thought Stig, but how many hours sleep do you get by on, on average?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »
Get out early. Start before sunrise.
Ride 2 to 3 hours....get home. She'll still be in her jammies.
For yrs I played(walked) 18 holes of golf most Saturdays by being early to the course. Was home by 10am. Wife and 4 kids were still in their jammies....kept up my hobby while not taking time from the family.
Stig

I'm with you there Stig. I'm a veteran, and definitely a morning person. I love riding in the morning. It would just be more fun if she was with me.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 11:19:05 AM »
Just a thought Stig, but how many hours sleep do you get by on, on average?
6 to 7.
If I'm up at 4:30 or 5,  I'm in bed by 9:30 or 10...reading to sleep.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()