Author Topic: Winter forecast not looking good  (Read 490 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Winter forecast not looking good
« on: August 14, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
"Unusually cold and snowy" is the forecast for my part of the USA.
I ride year around in Ohio - and always in the dark for at least the first half of the ride.
Ice is of course my main concern....so far so good. If the weather has settled on a certain condition for a couple of days - I will take a reconnoiter drive out in the car - to check my scooter route, before I go sailing out on the scooter. Riding should be relaxing - not nerve fraying.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Winter forecast not looking good
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 06:15:10 PM »
I discovered I am very comfortable riding in icy/snowy conditions, with studded tires, on back roads with no traffic, especially in the dark, I find it relaxing, everybody thinks I'm crazy, but I say I'm not the greatest rider, and it doesn't take any special skills, just DON'T use yer feet as outriggers, you lose balance of the bike, and yer down, keep feet on pegs/floor boards, smooth inputs

RandyO
IBA#9560

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 10:00:05 PM »
my wife mentioned the same thing earlier today...that the upcoming Winter forecast for our area is colder and snowier than usual.

and Randyo - wow, you are braver than me...I used to ride my 10 speed in the snow as a kid but have never ridden a gas powered cycle in the snow!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 11:18:14 PM »
It was chilly in the northern part of the state this morning but not that cold! The almanac is calling for cooler and snowier weather for Ohio this winter.. I’ll probably spend more time with my mitts gripping a snow shovel than my handlebars.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 11:09:17 AM »
Snow? In August?! You have my sympathy Stig.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()