Author Topic: back break lights working and indicator but not the lights that should remain on  (Read 738 times)

mitviz

• View Profile
Not sure if this is normal but I got stopped by the cops for not having the back light on at night, the light in the back that usually remains on,  although all other lights are working, any ideas what's wrong here? thanks

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Could just be a blown filament in the stop/tail light bulb?  For many vehicle applications these functions are combined in one bulb containing 2 separate filaments.

Cheap & easy fix if so.

Edit: Yes, it is! See - https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/kymco/downtown___super_dink_300i/11/picture/bulb_rear_-_stop_and_tail_light
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:10:26 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Neil's right: one dual filament on this model for brake and tail. Two other single filament bulbs for turn sigs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:07:30 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Good catch by the police!
Pretty dangerous riding "dark" back there.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

stuo

• View Profile
I suggest replacing that brake/running light bulb with an LED, which draws much less current than the standard incandescent, which is the commonly used 1157, if memory serves. Why? Because the Downtown 300i has a tendency to burn out the brake light switches and you will notice this when you can't start the bike because those switches also power the starter relay. My 2011 DT had this problem and others have reported it, too. The LED is not cheap but it sure beats replacing the brake light switches.
2009 GV 250

mitviz

• View Profile
Could just be a blown filament in the stop/tail light bulb?  For many vehicle applications these functions are combined in one bulb containing 2 separate filaments.

Cheap & easy fix if so.

Edit: Yes, it is! See - https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/kymco/downtown___super_dink_300i/11/picture/bulb_rear_-_stop_and_tail_light

problem solved, this is the bulb actually

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
problem solved, this is the bulb actually

Glad you’re sorted!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Good show! Thanks for the follow-up! That must be the first bulb to be burned out on that model ever!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()